mehdi110786

Purity of water, and if it can be used for wuzu

Rate this question

Question

Salam,

My office is next to a Gas station, the underground container which stores the petrol was having a leakage for quite some time and was detected and fixed later. The issue is that the underground water got mixed with our office ground water(bore water), and still the water withdrawn from borewell contains the smell of petrol, tastes like petrol and also the color of water has turned slight yellowish. 

My questions are,

1. can this contaminated water be used for performing wuzu, or used for making things clean (washing or for doing taharat/make this paak), can this water be considered paak ? 

We have been getting this water from past few years at our office and we have been using the same water daily for wuzu and taharat. 

2. We have also been offering salat/namaz by doing wuzu with same water. So in this case, if the water is muzaf(contaminated) then the salat/namaz performed by us at office will it be Valid? or do we have to perform prayers again(ayadah for the same). 

It will be highly appreciated if you people provide me the reference for this issue as well.

YAM

Edited by mehdi110786

4 answers to this question

8 hours ago, mehdi110786 said:

Salam,

My office is next to a Gas station, the underground container which stores the petrol was having a leakage for quite some time and was detected and fixed later. The issue is that the underground water got mixed with our office ground water(bore water), and still the water withdrawn from borewell contains the smell of petrol, tastes like petrol and also the color of water has turned slight yellowish. 

My questions are,

1. can this contaminated water be used for performing wuzu, or used for making things clean (washing or for doing taharat/make this paak), can this water be considered paak ? 

We have been getting this water from past few years at our office and we have been using the same water daily for wuzu and taharat. 

2. We have also been offering salat/namaz by doing wuzu with same water. So in this case, if the water is muzaf(contaminated) then the salat/namaz performed by us at office will it be Valid? or do we have to perform prayers again(ayadah for the same). 

It will be highly appreciated if you people provide me the reference for this issue as well.

YAM

:salam:

1. There is no reason to believe the water is najis, if the story you told is accurate. The only way the water can be najis is if it is contaminated with urine, feces, blood, pigs, dogs, kafirs, semen, dead humans/animals and intoxicating alcohol.  SOURCE

Water must be considered water by the common view ('urf) to be used for Wudu. If you feel that the water you are using for Wudu, that smells like petrol, tastes like petrol and yellowish in colour is considered to be water by the common view, it is allowed to be used for Wudu. If you feel the water you are using has been changed to an extent where it is not considered water anymore by the common view, it is not allowed to be used for Wudu. 

Imam Khamenei says:  the criteria by which the shar‘ī application of unadulterated water comes into effect, is that the water must be regarded as such in the common view.

also

Q 120: After searching for water in a range of several farsakh, we found only some dirty water. Is it obligatory to do tayammum in this condition or to do wuḍū’ with this water? 
A: If the water is pure and unadulterated and there is no harm or fear of harm in using it, it is obligatory to do wuḍū’, and it is not the occasion for tayammum.

2. If you were not using water that is considered water by the common view, then your Wudu will be considered invalid, and an invalid Wudu according to Imam Khamenei means you must repeat all your prayers as Qada. 

Q 136: A person does not know that his wuḍū’ is invalid, and comes to know about it only after completing the wuḍū’. What is the rule?
A: It is obligatory for him to repeat the wuḍū’ for the acts that require wuḍū’, such as prayers. If he has offered prayer with this void wuḍū’, he should repeat this prayer as well. 

Edited by Hassan-

Q77: Sometimes they add something to water  that turn it to the color of milk, is it muzaf? What is the decree of ablution and purification?C: That water is not  muzaf water.

http://farsi.khamenei.ir/treatise-content?id=11#77

(2) (Sistani  And according to a saying, it should not be contaminated with what humans hate from him, such as bulls of solvent animals and carcasses and purulent wounds, though purely religious, and this promise is cautious.

http://hadana.ir/وضو-با-آب-نجس-و-مضاف/

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2153/

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/49/2402/

wa alaikumsalam,

as far as i know the water to make wudu has to be kurr and mutlaq water, mutlaq water is just water which is not mixed with anything, so for example coke, orange juice etc. is mudaf water, which is mixed mineral/water which you cant make wudu with, but if you have no other mutlaq and kurr water around you, i think you can do tayammum, but anyone please correct me if i am wrong

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.