Aisha1998

Are Ahlul-Bayt mentioned in the Quran?

Rate this topic

If Ahlul-Bayt is such an important aspect within the Shia belief system, where is the doctrine of the 12 Imams in the Quran?

This is a question from pure curiosity, as anyone I ask always presents an unclear answer, and will always need the Hadith to back their answers up rather than the Quran having a straight forward explanation of this doctrine. 

And may I ask for actual answers, no youtube videos or links to other websites. Citations to different recourses in support of your answer is okay and may be useful for me. 

Thank-you

Ahl e bait meaning people of the house Surah e mubahila says

'then whoever argues with you about it after knowledge has come to you, say 'come let us call our sons and your sons, our women and your women, our selves and your selves, 

then supplicate earnestly curse of Allah upon the liars among us'

Holy prophet pbuh took with him Hazrat Ali as, Hazrat Fatima as , Hazrat Imam Hassan as and Hazrat Imam Hussain as.

so we know who are the sons, woman and man of the house of Holy Prophet pbuh

O you who believe! obey Allah and obey the Apostle and those in authority (Ulil Amr) from among you; then if you quarrel about anything, refer it to Allah and the Apostle, if you believe in Allah and the last day; this is better and very good in the end. (Sura Nisa 4:59)

Allah swt has given athourity to some one

This is a question from pure curiosity, as anyone I ask always presents an unclear answer, and will always need the Hadith to back their answers up rather than the Quran having a straight forward explanation of this doctrine. 

So what? That is already enough. That is already part of religion if you can find from saying of the Prophet Muhammad (saws). Are people so blind to reject 12 Imamateh that is already established by Prophet Muhammad (saws) because you can't find 12 names, or follow 12 imams after nabi, or Follow Ali after nabi in Qur'an?

This is nothing but Salafi nonsense.

Edited by Dhulfikar

Shia scholar Tabatabaei has mentioned in his Tafsir al-Mizan that al-Ma'munhad asked Ali al-Ridha several questions, one of which was as follows:[citation needed]

- "What is the proof for the Caliphate of your grandfather, Ali ibn Abi Talib?

- "The verse of our selves," The Imam replied.

- "If there were not our women," al-Ma'mun said

- "If there were not our sons," the Imam said.

Tabatabaei says: "The Imam argued on the strength of the word, ourselves. He meant that God had made Ali like the person of the Prophet. (And who could have more right to succeed the Prophet than his own person?). al-Ma'mun said, 'If there were not our women.' He wanted to say that the reference to 'women' indicates that the word 'ourselves' means 'our men', and as such it would not show any excellence. The Imam replied, 'If there were not our sons.' That is, if 'ourselves' referred to the men, then why should the sons be mentioned separately? They would have been included in 'our men'.

"...Allah only desires to keep away the uncleanness from you, O people of the House! and to purify you a (thorough) purifying". (Quran 33:33).

was reveiled when the Prophet (SAWW), Imam Ali (as), Hazrat Fatimah (SA) and their two sons Imam Hasan (as) and Imam Hussain (as) came under one cloak (kissa, chadar).

what raising Ali as hand in last sermon and calling him master means

i think the reason why this is such a frequently asked question is because shias say this is among the basic beliefs, alongside tawheed, prophethood and day of judgment. the 3 are mentioned in quran quite frequently and explicitly, while the belief of imamah isnt mentioned anywhere nearly as clearly as them, if at all. and to respond to this by saying that the method of prayer isnt mentioned in the quran or everything doesnt need to be mentioned in the quran, is an ignorant response imo, as method of prayer is not as important as the belief in the oneness of Allah, or the prophethood, or the day of judgment. so to make such an analigy is incorrect.

i would also be interested to know the answer to this question. just like tawheed, prophethood and day of judgment are mentioned clearly in the quran, where is the concept of imamah in the quran, with equal, if not more, clarity? nobody is asking a detailed list of names of the imams. just the concept in clear terms like the other 3 concepts.

salam.

Imama is considered in holy Quran for prophet Ibrahim (as) &his progeny

قرآن کریم ۲:۱۲۴
-------------------
۞ وَإِذِ ٱبْتَلَىٰٓ إِبْرَٰهِۦمَ رَبُّهُۥ بِكَلِمَٰتٍ فَأَتَمَّهُنَّ ۖ قَالَ إِنِّى جَاعِلُكَ لِلنَّاسِ إِمَامًا ۖ قَالَ وَمِن ذُرِّيَّتِى ۖ قَالَ لَا يَنَالُ عَهْدِى ٱلظَّٰلِمِينَ

Pickthall English ترجمه
-------------------
And (remember) when his Lord tried Abraham with (His) commands, and he fulfilled them, He said: Lo! I have appointed thee a leader for mankind. (Abraham) said: And of my offspring (will there be leaders)? He said: My covenant includeth not wrong-doers.

& everybody knows that ahlulbayt (as)

Were from offspring of Abraham (as)

&were not wrong doers

But all sunni leaders couldn't be call not wrong doers.

and to respond to this by saying that the method of prayer isnt mentioned in the quran or everything doesnt need to be mentioned in the quran, is an ignorant response imo, as method of prayer is not as important as the belief in the oneness of Allah, or the prophethood, or the day of judgment. so to make such an analigy is incorrect.

So you basically call our Imams ignorant and Incorrect.

Edited by Dhulfikar

9 hours ago, Aisha1998 said:

If Ahlul-Bayt is such an important aspect within the Shia belief system, where is the doctrine of the 12 Imams in the Quran?

And may I ask for actual answers, no youtube videos or links to other websites. Citations to different recourses in support of your answer is okay and may be useful for me. 

Thank-you

I'll bring it for you according to Sunni books later. Stay tuned. I'm busy now

Why do people want the names of the Imams (as) and the number 12 to be mentioned in the Quran to come to a conclusion?

Imamah is clearly mentioned in the Quran for those who are willing to use their intellect.

9 hours ago, Aisha1998 said:

Thank-you

1 hour ago, just a muslim said:

i think the reason why this is such a frequently asked question is because shias say this is among the basic beliefs, alongside tawheed, prophethood and day of judgment. the 3 are mentioned in quran quite frequently and explicitly, while the belief of imamah isnt mentioned anywhere nearly as clearly as them, if at all. and to respond to this by saying that the method of prayer isnt mentioned in the quran or everything doesnt need to be mentioned in the quran, is an ignorant response imo, as method of prayer is not as important as the belief in the oneness of Allah, or the prophethood, or the day of judgment. so to make such an analigy is incorrect.

i would also be interested to know the answer to this question. just like tawheed, prophethood and day of judgment are mentioned clearly in the quran, where is the concept of imamah in the quran, with equal, if not more, clarity? nobody is asking a detailed list of names of the imams. just the concept in clear terms like the other 3 concepts.

salam.

Both of you, there are literally a thousand videos/articles by scholars/lecturers/knowledgeable people out there proving the concept of Imamate and why it’s part of the usul al deen using one of our best arguments to prove it. Even on this forum if you use the search function, you will find a hundred topics explaining it. If you need help understanding it just do some research. Here’s an article by brother @Qa'im to start you off: 

17 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

Both of you, there are literally a thousand videos/articles by scholars/lecturers/knowledgeable people out there proving the concept of Imamate and why it’s part of the usul al deen using one of our best arguments to prove it. Even on this forum if you use the search function, you will find a hundred topics explaining it. If you need help understanding it just do some research. Here’s an article by brother @Qa'im to start you off: 

checked out the first few paragraphs and will read the rest tomorrow inshaAllah. correct me if i am wrong but it appears to be a rational daleel. is that supposed to mean there are no verses or explicit daleel in the quran like there is for tawheed or messengers? like the verses which tell us to believe in Allah and the messenger, the angels, the day of judgment etc?

13 hours ago, Aisha1998 said:

Thank-you

Salaam Alaykum Sister

You asked a very good question. It shows that you are SEARCHING for truth. May Allah give you the bests. Let's go back to your question. Please pay attention that I only use Sunni resources.

Quran says the core of Islam. It doesn't tell you details. It's up to you to use your RATIONALE and RESEARCH to find the right and correct path according to true Islamic teachings.

I want to mention here some verses of Quran that refers to ahlulbait. Again I use Sunni books.

1. Dahr Sourah: "وَ یُطْعِمُونَ الطَّعامَ عَلى حُبِّهِ مِسْکِیناً وَ یَتِیماً وَ اَسِیراً اِنَّما نُطْعِمُکُمْ لِوَجْهِ اللهِ لاَ نُرِیدُ مِنْکُمْ جَزَآءً وَ لاَ شُکُوراً". Translation: " They give their foods to poor and orphan and Asir while they need it. They say we give our food to you because of Allah and we don't expect you anything in return."

36 people of Sunni religious scholars mentioned this hadeeth is sent for ahlulbait of rasoulullah. For example: Fakhr Razy mentioned it in Alkabir Tafsir التقسیر الکبیر. Ghazy Beizavy mentioned it in Anvar Altanzil انوار النتزیل. Soyouty mentioned it in الدر المنثور. Abulfeda and Baghdadi mentioned it in their books (تاریخ).

2. Shera verse: "وَ مِنَ النّاسِ مَنْ یَشْرِى نَفْسَهُ ابْتِغآءَ مَرْضاتِ اللهِ وَاللهُ رَءُوفٌ بِالْعِبادِ". Translation: "Some people sacrifice themselves for Allah's willingness, and Allah loves these people".

Ibn Abbas said:" Kuffar and Mushrekin wanted to kill prophet, and prophet decided to escape from the city with Abubakr. Ali slept in prophet's house that night. This verse was sent for Ali."

Ibn Abialhadid said:" ALL Islamic historians said that this verse is sent for Ali when he slept in prophet's house at that night".

Other Sunni scholars also mentioned this verse is sent for Ali. For example, احمدبن حنبل, طبری, ابن سعد, ابن هشام, ابن کثیر, and etc.

3. Mobaheleh verse: "فَمَنْ حَآجَّکَ فِیهِ مِنْ بَعْدِ ما جَآءَکَ مِنَ الْعِلْمِ فَقُلْ تَعالَوْا نَدْعُ اَبْنَآءَنا وَ اَبْنَآءَکُمْ و َنِسَآءَنا وَ نِسَآءَکُمْ وَ اَنفُسَنا وَ اَنفُسَکُمْ ثُمَّ نَبْتَهِلْ فَنَجْعَل لَّعْنَتَ اللهِ عَلَى الْکاذِبِینَ". Translation:" If some people still argue you after you have been given knowledge of Christianity, tell them to invite our children, and our women, and our Nofous (نفوس, not friend), then let's do Mobahelah and curse be upon liars (کذابین)."

احمدبن حنبل said:" When rasoulullah received this verse, he invited Ali, Fatemeh, Hassan, and Hussain for Mobahelah. He told Allah, "O Allah these are MY AHLULBAIT".

مسلم said:" Muwiah asked for سعد بن ابی وقاص and said what did prevent you from CURSING Ali? He said Rasoulullah gave Ali three Fazylat that prevented me from cursing him. If I owned one of them, it was better than red invaluable camels for me. When Rasoulullah got the verse (above verse), Rasoulullah asked for Ali, Fatemeh, Hassan, and Hussain, and Rasoulullah said O Allah these are MY AHLULBAIT".

My sister, there are a lot of Hadeeth in Sunni books. I just gave you some examples. I want to finish this comment with one sentence that one of the SUNNI SCHOLARS wrote in his book(I forgot the name, but if you want it I can search for it):

"To be honest, non of Abubakr, Omar, Othman, are better than Ali Ibn Abitaleb".

Edited by AmirAlmuminin Lover

Guest Human Being

Firstly Immamah is usul e Madhab not usul e din & sunni schools base some  usul e madhab primarily from Hadith as well. Secondly there are no verses in Quran which explicitly mention immamah but the verse about extension of authority to ulil Amr should be enough to prove it from Quran. The shia view of immamah is perfectly in line with the precedent of divine appointment set by the Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى. Right from Adam (as) till Prophet Muhammad (saww), all the Prophets, messengers & kings(Talut) were divinely appointed. Never in the history of Abrahamic religions did people choose any kind of authority through election or consultation. How did the sunnah of Allah Change ? 

Absolute majority of Sunnis believe in the coming Of Imam Al Mahdi (as), evidence of which is based on Hadith do you reject that as well? 

Out of 124000 Prophets only 25 or more  ( not sure about the exact number)  are mentioned in the Quran, do you reject the remaining 123875 prophets as well, as they are not mentioned in Quran? 

1 hour ago, just a muslim said:

checked out the first few paragraphs and will read the rest tomorrow inshaAllah. correct me if i am wrong but it appears to be a rational daleel. is that supposed to mean there are no verses or explicit daleel in the quran like there is for tawheed or messengers? like the verses which tell us to believe in Allah and the messenger, the angels, the day of judgment etc?

٢_١٢٤    ۞ وَإِذِ ٱبْتَلَىٰٓ إِبْرَٰهِـۧمَ رَبُّهُۥ بِكَلِمَٰتٍۢ فَأَتَمَّهُنَّ ۖ قَالَ إِنِّى جَاعِلُكَ لِلنَّاسِ إِمَامًۭا ۖ قَالَ وَمِن ذُرِّيَّتِى ۖ قَالَ لَا يَنَالُ عَهْدِى ٱلظَّٰلِمِينَ

002:124 When his Lord tested Abraham with certain words and he fulfilled them, He said, ‘I am making you the Imam of mankind.’ Said he, ‘And from among my descendants?’ He said, ‘My pledge does not extend to the unjust.’

_٨٤    قُلْ ءَامَنَّا بِٱللَّهِ وَمَآ أُنزِلَ عَلَيْنَا وَمَآ أُنزِلَ عَلَىٰٓ إِبْرَٰهِيمَ وَإِسْمَٰعِيلَ وَإِسْحَٰقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ وَٱلْأَسْبَاطِ وَمَآ أُوتِىَ مُوسَىٰ وَعِيسَىٰ وَٱلنَّبِيُّونَ مِن رَّبِّهِمْ لَا نُفَرِّقُ بَيْنَ أَحَدٍۢ مِّنْهُمْ وَنَحْنُ لَهُۥ مُسْلِمُونَ

003:084 Say, ‘We have faith in Allah and in what has been sent down to us, and what was sent down to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes, and that which Moses, Jesus and the Prophets were given by their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and to Him do we submit.’

If you like to see further the following links provide the detail that shia are the followers of the religion of Ibrahim AS:

wasalam

Edited by skyweb1987

Guest But where is Imam Mahdi?

Dear brother, 

Imam al-Mahdi is not mentioned anywhere in the Quran explicitly. However, the traditions pertaining to Imam al-Mahdi are Muttawatir, meaning they are transmitted by so many people from every generation that it would be bordering on an incredible conspiracy to claim it was the product of a conspiracy. Muttawatir reports are to be acted upon just like the noble Quran according to popular view (but let me not simplify that). 

So i ask, this al-Mahdi, who is from the descendants of Muhammed (saw), who will bring peace to all of humanity, and will be the Imam of the entire world, whom Jesus Christ will pray behind and to whom allegiance is obligatory. Such a man, one would argue, is arguably one of the most influential individuals in history. Where is his name in the noble Quran, and where does it explicitly say to obey him?

Rather, the noble Quran gives general guidelines and the Prophet (saw) elucidates on him. The Quran states: "Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger and those vested with authority..." Thus, it is upon the Prophet (saw) to inform us of who has been vested with authority.

Guest Thaqalayn

May i just add, Muhammed (saw) according to a Muttawatir report said: "I am leaving behind for you two weighty things, which if you hold onto, you will never go astray. The Quran...and my Ahlulbayt!"

[Musnad Ahmad, Musnad ibn Rahwayh, Musnad ibn abi Asim, J'amih Tirmidhi,Mustadrak al Hakim, and many other sources]

Liars on line who build so-called refutation websites claiming this version is weak , when you press them on it, actually are graded based on their own opinion! When you look at their scholars , such as al-Albani, al-Arnaut, Muhammed Shakir, they have all accepted this version of Thaqalayn is Hasan and a number of them have graded chains outright as Hasan, and even the chains that are weak, al-Albani for example, has graded them Hasan due to 'Shawahid' i.e corroborating witnesses. It is an authentic statement, it is an authentic expression, and it has been relayed far more times than the version in Sahih Muslim.

The ones who claim these scholars were being 'lax' on the chain are proven wrong when al-Albani and Arnaut are willing to grade chains of this tradition as weak when the cain is weak. When you tell them this, they then jump onto the idea that the 'Matn' i.e text is graded in a lax way because it is about 'virtue'. However even those scholars are willing to claim certain statements are not authentic, such as they will never separate until they meet me at the pond, but verify the part i have quoted. It is also far more than a mere virtue, it is a Prophetic command. 

They want to run away from the inevitable conclusion of the Hadith, because then their entire Aqeedah will be shaken to the core and they will be left in the wilderness wondering where they can find traditions from Muhammed and his purified progeny. They know the only place to achieve that is with us, the Shia, because we held onto the Thaqalayn and our Hadith books are full of traditions from the Ahlulbayt who preserved the true Sunnah of the Prophet (saw).

Only those who know nothing about the Ahle Bayt (AS), what they did throughout their lives (AS), what they stood for and died for, what/how they taught & preached, how they endured and suffered not only for the Ummah of their time but for future generations of it, how they bore any suffering with patience and sacrifice, would dare come and ask such a naive question as to show where in the Quran it says anything about 12 Imams (AS).

The Imams (AS) are the living embodiment of the ideals and tenets mentioned not only in the Quran but also from the sunnah of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) that Sunnis claim to follow so much. Only an idiot or a munafiq would come and ask Shia to prove their Imamat from the Quran.

Sunnis should do some research not only on the 12 Imams (AS) but also their surrounding comrades and then come to a Shia forum and ask for us to explain why they are so loyal to the Ahle Bayt.

Do that first and then burden us with your callous ignorant nonsense.

:NH: