Reza

New Layout Experiment

Rate this topic

26 minutes ago, 400226 said:

I miss the old layout! It was organised.. I could just scroll down and click what I feel like reading about that day. Now I just feel like its all over the place. Everything in one long list.. It's done well, dont get me wrong- jut personally, I prefer the other layout. 

Except, you can still read what you feel like. The widget on the left lets you choose which forums you want to see. So, instead of clicking on the 'General Discussions' forum and then waiting a second for that page to open, then seeing all the threads in the 'General Discussions' forums, you just click the checkbox on the widget to the left next to 'General Discussions' et voila! Same thing.

24 minutes ago, King said:

Green looks so dull.  https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/  <<< Even the original IP theme looks way better.  https://www.ipsfocus.com/themes/ look at all the cool themes here.

I agree we could go for a better theme. I particularly liked Engraved from that list. Many of them are a bit too 'edgy' for an Islamic site but that seems like the perfect balance of simple and modern, in my opinion at least.

Browsing topics is much easier and faster now. I'm also less likely to miss something. I'm sure I overlooked many interesting topics in the past. 

For those using the desktop, the category list is on the left side. You put a checkmark on the forum(s) you want to see, and the topics automatically load. That's it. 

For those using mobile, the same menu is accessed from the "Showing topics from all forums" button at the top above the Start New Topic. You likewise checkmark the forums and those topics automatically show up. 

Truthfully, when l first saw this new layout l thought some US takfiri-nutcase had hacked into SC. Really.

This is my third sitting for this opening day, 02Dec17 and after fiddling with it l have already got use to it. The left column has more choices now than before --which a reduction of choices was my main complaint over the format we just discontinued from the old one of a year ago. :clap:

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, Reza said:

Ok, the new layout has been fixed for mobile users. You no longer have to scroll through sidebar features before seeing the topic list. 

Mobile users - let me know if you like the poll at the top, or you prefer topics at top and the poll below it. 

Change explained. Thanks. Unlike notme, l prefer the poll at the top.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, Dhulfikar said:

I wonder if there could be an option, choose between new layout or old layout.

:cry: Things in general are already confusing as it is.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:53 PM, LadyNadine said:

I don’t like it. Makes me feel overwhelm. Oh the color you guys picked is U.G.L.Y

l felt lost this morning, not "overwhelmed". And color? This is SC=Shia Chat, not  Style Class.  :angry:

23 hours ago, notme said:

Looks good. It'll take some getting used to. For pretty much all time it's been a page with categories, and you could choose to click the view new topics button to see that page. It's got a whole different feel now. 

I, personally, would rather see topics before the poll. Topics change faster. 

No, poll first.

22 hours ago, Dhulfikar said:

For the color, I personally miss that blue color.

lsIamic Green only!

22 hours ago, Reza said:

The new layout already accommodates the old layout. If you want to see topics in a specific forum only, you click on that from the filter menu, and only those topics show up. This is no different than the old layout of clicking a forum. 

But with this, there’s an option of seeing topics from more than 1 forum at a time, all together. Instead of a snail's pace one at a time, constantly clicking the back button, or refreshing the home page to click on another forum and browse another list of topics. Now, you can do it all near simultaneously. 

The new system eliminates so many unnecessary clicks.

You don’t have to see topics from the entire site if you don’t want to, but only from the forums of interest to you. So the functionality component is far superior, and doesn’t eliminate anything from the old system, and actually expands it.

If it's the aesthetics that's an issue, human beings always adapt and eventually love and accept. Years from now if this system changed to something else, you would be defending this one to the death. It's human nature. 

@Laayla ^^^^^  What l do now is click one topic feature at a time. Then unclick it and go to the next one.  My dotage cannot handle Science and Tech mixed-in with Politics and Current Events at the same time. l ain't as scatter brained as most younger people are now.

Edited by hasanhh
Then unclick...

1 hour ago, LadyNadine said:

I’m using the blue. It is better than the green.

Anyone who wants the old blue theme, even though an Admin worked hours on the new green theme that went live on May 4, 2017, the blue theme is available. Scroll to the bottom of the topic and click on the word Theme. 

5a2378d69ec96_themecolors.jpg.5d19bd788df0f076af60a9825970454e.jpg

:salam:

Could selected forums automatically update when clicking on them rather than having to scroll down to click "done"?

This adds a click basically.

Also, what I now miss is the upper link to the theme subforum. When I was reading a particular thread about Politics>Yemen I could just go back to the Politics>Yemen subforum by clicking above. I know it is now impossible since one might be reading several thematics but I wanted to share.

2 hours ago, realizm said:

Could selected forums automatically update when clicking on them rather than having to scroll down to click "done"?

That only happens on the mobile version. The desktop version doesn’t use a “Done” button, it loads automatically upon checking the boxes. 

2 hours ago, realizm said:

Also, what I now miss is the upper link to the theme subforum. When I was reading a particular thread about Politics>Yemen I could just go back to the Politics>Yemen subforum by clicking above. I know it is now impossible since one might be reading several thematics but I wanted to share.

Yes, that’s true. But there’s hardly more than a few new topics in any given forum per day, so when you go back, it’s better to see everything. Also you can simply filter Politics only on the home page when you get back there.

2 hours ago, Reza said:

That only happens on the mobile version. The desktop version doesn’t use a “Done” button, it loads automatically upon checking the boxes. 

Yes, that’s true. But there’s hardly more than a few new topics in any given forum per day, so when you go back, it’s better to see everything. Also you can simply filter Politics only on the home page when you get back there.

Thanks for replying. Bad luck for me I only use mobile these days.

Nice evolution though.

9 minutes ago, realizm said:

Thanks for replying. Bad luck for me I only use mobile these days.

Nice evolution though.

Actually, you don’t have to click the “Done” button at the bottom. Closing the window by clicking the X on the upper right corner will load the topics as well.

Personally, I care more for the content on SC rather than the looks. Green, blue gray, black, yada, yada, yada - everyone has their own preference so unless users can select their own color scheme, there will never be consensus on the 'right' color scheme.

12 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

Personally, I care more for the content on SC rather than the looks. Green, blue gray, black, yada, yada, yada - everyone has their own preference so unless users can select their own color scheme, there will never be consensus on the 'right' color scheme.

Agree. 

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:01 PM, hasanhh said:

Truthfully, when l first saw this new layout l thought some US takfiri-nutcase had hacked into SC. Really.

This is my third sitting for this opening day, 02Dec17 and after fiddling with it l have already got use to it. The left column has more choices now than before --which a reduction of choices was my main complaint over the format we just discontinued from the old one of a year ago. :clap:

:dwarf: "What happened now?  Has SC transformed itself into Schizoid Central ? 0r am l weaving in and out of multiverses?

:cry: "Yarrabi. l could just shoot myself."

Gaius luIius replies: "Let me help you." :jamesbond:                     :grin:

Tirades Over.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

Very happy the way it is now.  Sc is unique and wonderful this way.  Please keep it like this.  

That experiment was a headache, offfff.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

4 hours ago, wolverine said:

Actually I like the fluid view better. In the old table view you can only see one topic per forum on the homepage. With fluid view you see so many topics from different forums. A lot of variety. 

Salaam Aleikum,

You can still choose it.