Reza

New Layout Experiment

Rate this topic

Hello, everyone:

You may have noticed a change in the homepage.

To improve the ShiaChat experience, we are having a live experiment with Fluid View. From the homepage, you can view all the new topics for the entire site at once. To filter to specific forums, click the boxes on the sidebar (desktop) or click the "Showing Topics from all forums" button on top (mobile).

This is modeled after Reddit, where you immediately access topics from the home page. This saves the extra click of going to a forum first, then browsing the topics to click on.

Here you have the ability:

1. View all new topics at once.

OR

2. Filter only new topics from multiple forums at once that you like, rather than one at a time. If you only want Politics and Social, or only Theology and Sunni/Shia to show up, you can do that. 

Big changes always take getting used to, but we'll see. If after a period of time, the response is overwhelmingly negative, then it can be returned to the previous setting. But lets give it a chance. You may like it, and newcomers may prefer it too. 

On 12/1/2017 at 1:18 AM, Dhulfikar said:

I liked the 5-10 newest topic, and now I get all the latest newst topic, which is much better!

The topics are so numerous that I kept scrolling. I think there are about 70+ topics that are visible on the homepage. A great variety to read and reply to now. :) 

Edited by ShiaChat Mod

3 hours ago, Reza said:

Ok, the new layout has been fixed for mobile users. You no longer have to scroll through sidebar features before seeing the topic list. 

Mobile users - let me know if you like the poll at the top, or you prefer topics at top and the poll below it. 

Looks good. It'll take some getting used to. For pretty much all time it's been a page with categories, and you could choose to click the view new topics button to see that page. It's got a whole different feel now. 

I, personally, would rather see topics before the poll. Topics change faster. 

8 minutes ago, notme said:

Looks good. It'll take some getting used to. For pretty much all time it's been a page with categories, and you could choose to click the view new topics button to see that page. It's got a whole different feel now. 

Yes, it will take some adjustment. But eventually it will feel natural. 

One less click makes all the difference on the internet. Clicking straight on a topic from the homepage (without an intermediate step) is how most sites work now. We have to get with the times. What's being discussed is easier to see immediately, and easier to access. Yet you can use a filter system to narrow down the forum(s) of interest (which is what the old school category forum system did, but now better). Best of both worlds IMO. 

3 hours ago, Dhulfikar said:

I wonder if there could be an option, choose between new layout or old layout.

That would be great if we could have the option to flip back to the old format.

I’d like to log a vote for not being in favor of the change.

What was wrong with the old format?

“If it ain’t broke, then don’t fix it”

32 minutes ago, Akbar673 said:

What was wrong with the old format?

The new layout already accommodates the old layout. If you want to see topics in a specific forum only, you click on that from the filter menu, and only those topics show up. This is no different than the old layout of clicking a forum. 

But with this, there’s an option of seeing topics from more than 1 forum at a time, all together. Instead of a snail's pace one at a time, constantly clicking the back button, or refreshing the home page to click on another forum and browse another list of topics. Now, you can do it all near simultaneously. 

The new system eliminates so many unnecessary clicks.

You don’t have to see topics from the entire site if you don’t want to, but only from the forums of interest to you. So the functionality component is far superior, and doesn’t eliminate anything from the old system, and actually expands it.

If it's the aesthetics that's an issue, human beings always adapt and eventually love and accept. Years from now if this system changed to something else, you would be defending this one to the death. It's human nature. 

14 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

The home page changes are convenient and easier to view range of topics. But I can't see Recent topics and Recent posts section while browsing through the thread. That's needed. 

Before the new layout there were only about 28 topics on the homepage, because only 1 topic from a forum was visible. Now the topics in the fluid view have increased to more than 70 topics. I'm sure the Recent Topics and the Recent Posts are included in what you see on the homepage. In the past if somebody posted in the Thoughts topic, another hot topic in the same forum would be bumped off the homepage. Now, there can be several topics from the same forum on the homepage. Right now I see 9 topics from Politics/Current Events on the homepage. Is that not super cool?

30 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Before the new layout there were only about 28 topics on the homepage, because only 1 topic from a forum was visible. Now the topics in the fluid view have increased to more than 70 topics. I'm sure the Recent Topics and the Recent Posts are included in what you see on the homepage. In the past if somebody posted in the Thoughts topic, another hot topic in the same forum would be bumped off the homepage. Now, there can be several topics from the same forum on the homepage. Right now I see 9 topics from Politics/Current Events on the homepage. Is that not super cool?

You got me wrong sister. I'm very much in favor of homepage changes. 

The only issue is while browsing through a thread, for example this one, I can't see 'Recent topics' and 'Recent posts' section. Now if I want to see various new topics, I have to go back to homepage every time, which is not convenient. 

53 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

I can't see 'Recent topics' and 'Recent posts' section. Now if I want to see various new topics, I have to go back to homepage every time, which is not convenient. 

Instead of seeing 5 or 10 new items, you can click the GO TO TOPIC LISTING (below the topic you are reading) and by this one click you can view more than 70 news items. See the image below:

topic listing.jpg 

1 hour ago, Sirius_Bright said:

The only issue is while browsing through a thread, for example this one, I can't see 'Recent topics' and 'Recent posts' section. Now if I want to see various new topics, I have to go back to homepage every time, which is not convenient. 

I see what you mean. Recent topics has been re-added below a thread. 

I miss the old layout! It was organised.. I could just scroll down and click what I feel like reading about that day. Now I just feel like its all over the place. Everything in one long list.. It's done well, dont get me wrong- jut personally, I prefer the other layout.