Polka

Meaning of Syed

Rate this topic

Guys I want to know syed meaning ever since yesterday I’m confused kay hazrat Ali wasn’t Syed.. and syed is only bibi syeda because she is Rasool Allah daughter..however only rasool aulad is syed..

15 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

The definition of Syed is the children of Imam Ali (AS) and Bibi Fatima (AS).

Wrong...... Syed are the descendants of prophet  (PBUH)through Bibi Fatima (a.s). So technically, yes children of our beloved Imam Ali (a.s) and Bibi Fatima (a.s), but we do need to consider that Imam Ali was not a syed. Yes, there are people who do say they were Hashmi Syed, but to be honest I don't think there is anything like hasmi Syed. They just made up that stuff. 

48 minutes ago, Polka said:

Then y mola Abbas (A.S)  is not syed

Ghazi Abbass alamdar ie standard bearer in Kerbela has a very high status as true follower of Imam Hasan AS and Imam Hussain AS after Imam Ali AS. but he is not considered as Syed as per its definition. He is son of Imam Ali AS and considered as Hashmi.

I also like to quote that the prophet saaw said: Imam Hassan AS and Imam Hussain AS are Chief (Syed) of the youth of paradise.

Thus providing sufficient evidence that their descendants can be Syeds.

Edited by skyweb1987

19 minutes ago, skyweb1987 said:

Ghazi Abbass alamdar ie standard bearer in Kerbela has a very high status as true follower of Imam Hasan AS and Imam Hussain AS after Imam Ali AS. but he is not considered as Syed as per its definition. He is son of Imam Ali AS and considered as Hashmi.

I also like to quote that the prophet saaw said: Imam Hassan AS and Imam Hussain AS are Chief (Syed) of the youth of paradise.

Thus providing sufficient evidence that their descendants can be Syeds.

How come our imam’s name doesn’t have syed in the beginning ?

1 hour ago, Polka said:

How come our imam’s name doesn’t have syed in the beginning ?

It is not necessary. the title Syed is just for the identification and respect , even if not given to the descendants  then still their identification with reference to the Imam Hassan AS and Imam Hussain AS does not change.

How do you consider it is necessary to give Syed before the name of Imams?

21 hours ago, Polka said:

Guys I want to know syed meaning ever since yesterday I’m confused kay hazrat Ali wasn’t Syed.. and syed is only bibi syeda because she is Rasool Allah daughter..however only rasool aulad is syed..

Sayid is just arabic for "Mr" or "sir". Saydia is just arabic for "Lady" or "madam". 

I think in Asian countries its use or rather abuse has meant its just turned into another social grading system which is deeply Islamic.

3 minutes ago, iraqi_shia said:

Sayid is just arabic for "Mr" or "sir". Saydia is just arabic for "Lady" or "madam". 

I think in Asian countries its use or rather abuse has meant its just turned into another social grading system which is deeply Islamic.

but at least we dont have exclusive "syed-only" cemeteries so there is that... :D 

say·yid
ˈsäyid/
noun
noun: syed
  1. a Muslim claiming descent from Muhammad, especially through Husayn, the prophet's younger grandson.
    • a respectful Muslim form of address.
      noun: Sayyid; noun: Sayid; noun: Syed

6 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

Wrong...... Syed are the descendants of prophet  (PBUH)through Bibi Fatima (a.s). So technically, yes children of our beloved Imam Ali (a.s) and Bibi Fatima (a.s), but we do need to consider that Imam Ali was not a syed. Yes, there are people who do say they were Hashmi Syed, but to be honest I don't think there is anything like hasmi Syed. They just made up that stuff. 

In Islam family name comes from father so u can’t say that descended of bibi fatima are syed....

Cuz family name comes from father so u can’t say that descended of bibi fatima are syed....and now I don’t believe in anything I am not syed my MIL still taunting me u r not syed... she wants my husband to give me divorce because I am not syed.. Meanwhile, I found out she was Sunni but she claims that because her husband is “Shia Syed” So she is automatically syeda but I’m not cuz my father is not syed. My mother is zaidi but it doesn’t count.. so know I’m thinking imam Hussain AS is syed because of her mother y can’t I b syed because of my mother.. when I was 10 my khalas-Aunty- told me I can’t eat 14 masoomeen hazri..

and I told her but rasool Allah SAW said no one is superior every one is equal do you guys are doing racism with ur own niece... this thinking of syed is doomed my half of the life so if you guys give me any authenticate quotes I can’t show them.when I found that mola Abbas AS is not Syed because hazrat Ali AS I’m feeling much better but still my saas is like jhoot hain Saab plz help me out.. 

3 hours ago, Polka said:

Is it Sin if Syed Married to non syed??

That's a concept that only exists in India/Pakistan.

Which Imam (AS) married a Syed woman except for Imam Zain ul Abideen (AS)?

Let's take it a step further and ask if there was an Imam (AS) who married his daughter(s) to Syeds only?

Which Imam (AS), with the exception of Imam Muhammad Baqir (AS), had a Mother who was a Syed?

This Syed marrying a Syed concept exists only in India/Pakistan because it was an absorption of the Hindu caste system. Muslims don't have castes so they adopted the Syed/Non-Syed Caste concept. 

Unfortunately, at this point that belief is so engrained in the mindset of India/Pakistan Syeds that you can present all the facts to them and yet they won't change their mindset. 

In answer to your question there is no sin in a Syed marrying a Non-Syed.

18 hours ago, Polka said:

she claims that because her husband is “Shia Syed” So she is automatically syeda

This is deeply wrong.

18 hours ago, Polka said:

Is it Sin if Syed Married to non syed??

No and you'd better consult your Marja` if you have any doubt. All of them do not deem this as haram or Makruh, but again you can refer to any respected Marja` or Ayatollah rather than to a forum post. And if someone says this is Haram or hateful please challenge to back up their statement with any respected Marja` ruling.

19 hours ago, Polka said:

Cuz family name comes from father so u can’t say that descended of bibi fatima are syed....and now I don’t believe in anything I am not syed my MIL still taunting me u r not syed... she wants my husband to give me divorce because I am not syed.. Meanwhile, I found out she was Sunni but she claims that because her husband is “Shia Syed” So she is automatically syeda but I’m not cuz my father is not syed. My mother is zaidi but it doesn’t count.. so know I’m thinking imam Hussain AS is syed because of her mother y can’t I b syed because of my mother.. when I was 10 my khalas-Aunty- told me I can’t eat 14 masoomeen hazri..

and I told her but rasool Allah SAW said no one is superior every one is equal do you guys are doing racism with ur own niece... this thinking of syed is doomed my half of the life so if you guys give me any authenticate quotes I can’t show them.when I found that mola Abbas AS is not Syed because hazrat Ali AS I’m feeling much better but still my saas is like jhoot hain Saab plz help me out.. 

The response to the bold statement in your post above comes from the Quran. The verse of Mubahila provides the answer that  Imam Hassan As and Imam Hussain AS have been termed as sons of the prophet saaw. You may see the verse of Mubahila (3:61) and its tafseer.  The link is given below:

https://www.al-islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/who-are-ahlul-bayt-part-3#incident-mubahala

Edited by skyweb1987

On 11/27/2017 at 4:27 PM, Polka said:

Just, WHERE did you get that idea?! In that case, 11 of the Imams (a) are sinners!

On 11/27/2017 at 4:27 PM, Polka said:

He doesn't come from the line of Fatima (a), hence, he is Hashimi but not Sayyed.