Shaykh Patience101

Does gene editing fit into the Islamic worldview?

I tried using the search bar earlier today, but was surprised to find little to no discussion about gene editing on ShiaChat over the last few years. Browsing articles on other sites, I have to admit I was also pleasantly surprised to see that many Muslims accepted gene editing as permissible and possibly beneficial to contemporary society, as opposed to 'changing the creation of Allah.' It seems that Muslims differ from religious adherents of many other religions in this regard.

To quote genome.gov (https://www.genome.gov/27569222/genome-editing/),

Genome editing is a method that lets scientists change the DNA of many organisms, including plants, bacteria, and animals. Editing DNA can lead to changes in physical traits, like eye color, and disease risk. Scientists use different technologies to do this. These technologies act like scissors, cutting the DNA at a specific spot. Then scientists can remove, add, or replace the DNA where it was cut.  

The first genome editing technologies were developed in the late 1900s. More recently, a new genome editing tool called CRISPR, invented in 2009, has made it easier than ever to edit DNA. CRISPR is simpler, faster, cheaper, and more accurate than older genome editing methods. Many scientists who perform genome editing now use CRISPR.

For more details on how these technologies work, please visit How Does Genome Editing Work?

With the headlines that CRISPR is generating today, what do you guys think? How does genome editing fit into your Islamic worldview?

Some Qur'anic verses that may be relevant:

"And I will mislead them, and I will arouse in them [sinful] desires, and I will command them so they will slit the ears of cattle, and I will command them so they will change the creation of Allah ." And whoever takes Satan as an ally instead of Allah has certainly sustained a clear loss." [4:119]

"See ye not how Allah hath made serviceable unto you whatsoever is in the skies and whatsoever is in the earth and hath loaded you with His favors both without and within? Yet of mankind is he who disputeth concerning Allah, without knowledge or guidance or a Scripture giving light." [Luqman 31: 20]

"And in the earth are portents for those whose faith is sure. And (also) in yourselves. Can ye then not see?" [Adh-Dhariat 51: 20-21]

It's a slippery slope. Eliminating illness is great. Eliminating defects... eliminating excessive or insufficient height? Eliminating low intelligence? 

It would be hard to delineate the ethical boundaries. I suspect dna editing could be compared to alcohol: there is some good from it, but more bad. 

السؤال: في علم الهندسة الوراثية يدعي بعض العلماء أن باستطاعتهم تحسين الجنس البشري بواسطة التأثير على الجينات وذلك بـ:
١. رفع القبح في الشكل. 
٢. وضع مواصفات جميلة بديلة. 
٣. كلا الأمرين معاً. 
فهل يجوزللعلماء أن يفعلوا ذلك؟ وهل يحق للمسلم أن يمكن الأطباء من تحسين جيناته الوراثية؟

الجواب: إذا لم يكن له مضاعفات جانبيّة، فلا مانع منه في حدِّ ذاته. 

https://www.sistani.org/arabic/qa/02115/

It seems to me, based on the fatwa above, human genetic engineering/editing for the sake of removing ugliness or increasing beauty is halal in and of itself.

Also, I don't know if this is relevant, Sayyed Al-Hakeem says human cloning is halal.

15 minutes ago, notme said:

It's a slippery slope. Eliminating illness is great. Eliminating defects... eliminating excessive or insufficient height? Eliminating low intelligence? 

It would be hard to delineate the ethical boundaries. I suspect dna editing could be compared to alcohol: there is some good from it, but more bad. 

What's interesting was that I expected this to be the moral consensus, with our scholars taking perhaps an even more rigid stance. This hasn't turned out to be the case.

As @E.L King was mentioning earlier in the chatroom (correct me if I'm wrong), Sayyed al-Hakeem and as-Sistani both have issued rulings declaring human cloning and gene editing, respectively, to be halal in and of themselves, even to the extent of them being used simply for vain purposes like increasing one's beauty.

EDIT: He's beat me to it.

Edited by Shaykh Patience101

Interesting. 

Anything not specifically prohibited is permitted. 

But I don't look forward to the world in which the wealthy can customize their children to be more beautiful, more intelligent - they have enough advantage as it is. I don't want us to become Eloi and Morlocks. Or the brave new world in which governments decide which DNA sequences are needed to fill which upcoming worker shortages. If that happens, we humans become just livestock. 

hi the allowing for human cloning is permitted for curing & wellness not for beauty

Site code fa599 Archive code 549 Genetic modification profile and Soul problem
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Summarize the question
What is the genetic and neonatal birth order of this method?
question
What is the genetic modification of Islam? How does a person come up with this method and how do you solve the problem of the soul?
Concise answer

The genetic modification in NIC has a type that is normal in nature, which is different from the rule, but in general, if the correction is based on the embryo or sperm and oocyte of the couple, to prevent the occurrence of hereditary and genetic diseases And the birth of the baby is paralyzed and ill and also causes the physical or mental perfection of the infant and does not require any other haram action, according to the Shari'a do not have such an obstacle. And the child born in this way, because of the husband's sperm and ovum, has no problem.

But in relation to the problem of the soul, it should be said that if this correction is before the breath of the soul, there is no problem, and if, after blowing the soul into the body (four months), it is still not difficult, because the soul and soul that after During the stages of growth, the body is given to the body, it is related to that body, and with it's life, and the person's identity depends on the personality of the same soul, and the Takvina spirit and the body of that body and body are intrinsic to that soul.

Detailed Answer

The advancement of science and technology in recent decades has provided significant services to human health, health and improvement of human life. Among these advances in the field of medicine, scientists have been able to invent some methods to prevent inherited and genetic diseases so that they can modify the embryo or sperm and ovum in the early stages of growth. And prevent the birth of sick and paralyzed and defective babies.

Obviously, as the wisdom and consequently sharia judge, the patient should go to the doctor for treatment, and if he is diagnosed by a doctor, he should do this. By saying this, if there is such a possibility that in the early stages of the dismemberment of the sprout and before the birth of the infant or the patient can be prevented, there should be no problem.

Genetic modification in the medical sciences has different types, which is natural in terms of its kind, which is different from the jurisprudential point of view. But what is said in answer to the question is that in general, if the modification is carried out on the fetus or sperm and the egg of the husband and wife, and without combining it with sperm of a man or an ovum of another woman, and that leads to health and physical perfection Or spiritual, and does not require another forbidden act, this correction is permissible. But if it is possible that the corrective action would not be useful and that the defect may be caused by the fetus, the permit is the place of the problem.

Since the birth of a newborn born in this way has not been violated, this infant belongs to the husband and wife of the Shari'a.

But if genetic modification is carried out by combining sperm with a man or an ovum of another woman, who is joining the believer of this work and the child who is born of this process? There are different views among the jurists.

Below, we will draw your attention to the following issues:

1. What is the pregnancy sentence for a woman with a sperm of her husband? Is the child born in this way the decree of a true child?

All the great authorities: The principle of this task is unimportant; provided that it is avoided of the forbidden pretext (such as the look and the touch of a non-lawyer) and the child is born, all the rules of the child of that husband and wife are. [1]

2-   What is the decree of introducing sperm to a woman's womb if her husband is not supportive?Who is the child who is born?

All the great authorities (except the Grand Ayatullah Khamenei): This is forbidden, and if a son is born, it belongs to the owner of the spit and to the woman who owns the womb. [2]

Grand Ayatollah Khamenei: The principle of this task is unimportant; provided that it is avoided of the forbidden pretext (such as the look and the touch of the nonhuman), and if a son is born, it belongs to the owner of the spit and to the woman who owns the womb. ]

Concerning the soul issue, here it should be said that if this action was carried out in the very early days, it does not have an embryo at all. And if it is after that, the spirit that is not removed from the body and no other spirit has come to its place. In any case, the soul and soul, which is given after a process of growth to the body, is related to that body and with its lifetime, and the diagnosis of that body depends on the personality of the same soul, also It is the spirit of Tekvivna and the temporarily possessed by that body, and that body is the mumble of that spirit.

The result is that if it is a genetic modification without committing unlawful acts and thus preventing the birth of defective babies, it is not only permissible, but also desirable, because of the birth of sick and sick babies who are nursing and nursing and raising children It has many problems for parents and family, prevention and safe delivery of children to the community.

The response of the Office of the Grand Ayatullah, Fazel Lankarani (Al-Ajali), to the question:

Genetic modification, if it is limited to treating drugs and the like, does not involve the inoculation of the male vagina, and there are no conflicts with the spirit issue.

The Office of the Grand Ayatullah Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi (Azhali):

Correction is by no means a problem, but simulation is not allowed. And there is no problem in the spirit of genetic modification.

[1] Khamenei, Ayubawat al-Sathatat, S 1271 and 1277; Imam, Tahrir al-Waslah, C 2, Allaqih, M 1; Tabrizi; Sūrat al-Najajah, vol. 5, p. 1013; Fazil, Jameem al-Masaleh, vol. 1, 2103, 2104; Vahid, The explanation of al-Masaleel, 2900; Sistani, the explanation of Al-Masaleh, the artificial insemination, M 69; Safi, Jamea Alahakam, J 2, S 1392; Opri, J 2, S 1392; Optical, Esfahat, C 2, S 903 and C 1, 985 ; PICKTHAL: Sufatiat, 2nd Dec., 1757, and Office: Behjat.

[2] Imam, Tahrir al-Waslah, C 2, Al-Jalah, M 2 and 3; Tabrizi, Esfahat, S 2094: Fadhil, Juma al-Masaleel, J 1, S 2105, and Wahid, explaining al-Masaleel, M 2898; Sistani, explaining al-mussel, artificial insemination 65; Safi, Jamaalahakam, J 2, S 1391; Optical, Sufatiat, C 2, S 908; Mt. Sufatiat, vol. 1, p. 1527; and Behjat, Medical Essay, p. 35.

[3] See: Abuba elastatat, p. 304, 1275, 1277 and 1271; Student's dissertation, Hosseini, Sayed Mojtaba, Pages 292-293, S 475,476 and 477.

persian source translate by google translate:http://www.islamquest.net/fa/archive/question/fa599

l'II comment about the OP later. Gotta do some research, first.

For now l'II toss this into the mix:

A geneticist interviewed said your DNA print can vary through-out your body. The sample taken from your liver maybe different than the sample taken from your blood or skin. This was about 6-10 years ago l saw this.

They are even offering this edition and choices in a baby parents may be planning to have. Somehow, I seriously doubt this gene editing will change anything about us human beings. Alcoholicism, godlessness, lying, cheating, apathy, selfishness, capitalist blood sucking will remain rampant. Secondly, our Creator has challenged or welcomed us to try and create something, anything the way He has. So let them have at it I say. Personally staying natural would be my choice. Because "scientists" today are equally greedy and liable to scam others just like the rest of our specie. Those PHDs cost a lot and they do it not for saving the planet.

Edited by Darth Vader

27 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

They are even offering this edition and choices in a baby parents may be planning to have. Somehow, I seriously doubt this gene editing will change anything about us human beings. Alcoholicism, godlessness, lying, cheating, apathy, selfishness, capitalist blood sucking will remain rampant. Secondly, our Creator has challenged or welcomed us to try and create something, anything the way He has. So let them have at it I say. Personally staying natural would be my choice. Because "scientists" today are equally greedy and liable to scam others just like the rest of our specie. Those PHDs cost a lot and they do it not for saving the planet.

This post is Rated B  ---"B" for Bravo

Responding to the 2nd post:

Quran is consistent/{ayats resembling each other} within itself, inshallah. 39:23

ln 4:119 lbIis(cursed is he) speaking:  the "change the creation of Allah(swt)" the word for "change" is falayughayyirunna is in the double-emphatic expressed in "'so they will surely change' the Creation of Allah(swt)". The verb root is ghayn-ya-ra which is used thrice more in Quran. ln 8:53 and twice in 13:11. ln these two ayats ghayn-ya-ra is used with nafs. Using ayat 87:2 as guidance --wherein it is revealed that Allah-s.w.t. creates then proportions that which was/is created-- and using the "l will mislead" through false desires in the same ayat, what is vulnerable to negative change is our nafs. As revealed in Ayats 91:7-10 & Ayat 7:172 .

Edited by hasanhh