Guest ehiyan

going to a gay wedding

Rate this question

Question

Guest ehiyan

My closest best friend (she is like a sister to me, we have known eachother for over 15 yrs) is having a gay marriage. Is it permissable for me to go? 

30 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Guest ehiyan said:

My closest best friend (she is like a sister to me, we have known eachother for over 15 yrs) is having a gay marriage. Is it permissable for me to go? 

Salaam brother,

Your friend is doing a haraam act. Therefore, participating and encouraging such a thing would definitely be haraam.

I suppose your friend is not muslim. In such a case, you should really be careful how you approach this issue, in order not to hurt her feelings and do your best not to destroy a friendship.

In the case of a 15 years friendship, you should think more about it, and not in the internet to be honest. You know that person, you can expect the reactions to whatever choices you make and words you say. Just don't be rude with her.

“O Muhammad ask them about the town which stood by the sea; when they exceeded the limits of the Sabbath, when their fish came to them on the day of their Sabbath on the surface of the sea, and on the day on which they do not keep the Sabbath, they did not came to them We try them because they transgressed.” (7:163) “And when a party of them said, why do you admonish a people whom Allah would destroy and whom Allah would chastise with a severe chastisement? They said, to be free from blame before your Lord and that happily they may guard (against evil)” (7:164) “So when they neglected what they had been reminded of, we delivered those who forbade evil and we overtook those who were unjust with an evil chastisement.” “Therefore when they revoltingly persisted in what they had been forbidden, we said to them; Be (as) apes, despised and hated. (7:165)

3 hours ago, Smiles786 said:

No it's not. They are friends. OP wants to maintain friendship it seems. OP knows friend is gay and still friends with her. 

If you are not going to the wedding but you are sending a gift, then that is ridiculous. Either you support your friend, or do not.  

Guest Eyihan

Look, i did not mean to disrespect anyone or my religion here. Like I said she is a sister to me. She basically saved my life when my mental health was at its worst, took me into her home when i had nowhere else to go etc. I don’t necessarily agree with gay marriage, haram is haram. But I feel it is the least I can do to say thank you. And also, whether I go or not, neither way will discourage her.

but thank you very much everyone for your advice

You have to find the balance between not encouraging sin and being a friend. 

In short, this is a question without a single right answer. You're going to have to do what you feel is right. 

40 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I personally think that this is wrong, because why should she be happy about someone sinning.

It's like saying "let me give you a gift because I'm very pleased to see you sin".

These things are okay for them not us. No need to participate but the person is a friend. Not worth losing a friend over. OP is the girl's friend anyways. Seems like OP wants to continue the friendship 

The happy couple are presumably already in a relationship and the OP has already worked out how to sustain the sisterly friendship in spite of this. In this context the ceremony and the piece of paper seem incidental. If they are friends then it's likely they know each others feelings and nothing new can be expressed by staying away. Attending doesn't express support or disapproval, really it's just about friendship.

On 11/25/2017 at 3:15 AM, Guest Goodmanners and humblenes said:

Salams.

Attending the wedding reception isn't outside the folds of islam however the act itself is outside the folds of Akidah however there's no harm in participating as long as your not consuming Alcohol...or participating in any other acts deemed impermissible.

Umm, which marja3 allows this?  You can't say something from your own whim.  You are accountable for what you say on Day of judgement.  Be careful next time.

On 11/24/2017 at 9:07 PM, Sirius_Bright said:

Salaam brother,

Your friend is doing a haraam act. Therefore, participating and encouraging such a thing would definitely be haraam.

This is a man of principle. He refused making a wedding cake for a gay couple.  Take heed Muslims!

3 hours ago, notme said:

You have to find the balance between not encouraging sin and being a friend. 

In short, this is a question without a single right answer. You're going to have to do what you feel is right. 

Just attending that wedding is almost like accepting and encouraging this sin. This is not a small thing... Seriously! I would strongly advise against going. 

Edited by YAli

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

Rasoul Allah said, 

لا طاعة لمخلوق في معصية الخالق 

Since when is pleasing people more important than obeying God, Rasoul Allah and Holy progeny?  

Astgfor'Allah wa atoob elayk.  

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

8 hours ago, Guest ehiyan said:

NO, IT IS HARAM. SENDING GIFT TO HER AND CONGRATULATING HER FOR HER FALLACIOUS MARRIAGE IS ALSO HARAM.

Edited by AmirAlmuminin Lover

3 hours ago, Smiles786 said:

These things are okay for them not us. No need to participate but the person is a friend. Not worth losing a friend over. OP is the girl's friend anyways. Seems like OP wants to continue the friendship 

You shouldn't support anyone, let alone your friends or family, to do something harmful or commit a sin

It's not About her its about u.. You have to decide hell or heaven for u she has already made the decision.

You can politely speak to her though and explain your reason for not attending.

Think this way, if she decIdes to suicide in a big party. Will you join the party and watch her die and do nothing.

SAVE HER IF YOU CAN or atleast save yourself n pray for her.

On 26/11/2017 at 6:18 PM, Guest Eyihan said:

Look, i did not mean to disrespect anyone or my religion here. Like I said she is a sister to me. She basically saved my life when my mental health was at its worst, took me into her home when i had nowhere else to go etc. I don’t necessarily agree with gay marriage, haram is haram. But I feel it is the least I can do to say thank you. And also, whether I go or not, neither way will discourage her.

but thank you very much everyone for your advice

Judging by this reaction to the feedback, it seems your mind was already made up as to the course of action you wanted to take. Next time why not simply state a course of action you intend to take, ask people who agree with you to post their support and everyone will be happy.

On 25/11/2017 at 1:15 AM, Guest Goodmanners and humblenes said:

Attending the wedding reception isn't outside the folds of islam

The point about attending a wedding is to congratulate the couple on the occasion, to wish them the best in the choice that they have made and to hope that this will be a lasting union.

You are not a neutral observer.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.