Shah Khan

Are Black Clothes Makrooh(Disliked) in Islam?

Rate this topic

Assalam-O-Alaikum !! May Allah Shower his Blessings upon you All.

I am not a Good English Speaker. So, Please understand my words.

After doing research on Shia Books, I came to know about Black Clothing which is Makrooh. But why and how? Prophet Muhammad(Peace Be Upon Him) wore Black if I am not wrong. Someone told me Imam Jafar Sadiq prohibited from wearing Black shoes and Black Clothes. Is it true?

Jazaak Allah Khair.

7 hours ago, Shah Khan said:

After doing research on Shia Books, I came to know about Black Clothing which is Makrooh. But why and how? Prophet Muhammad(Peace Be Upon Him) wore Black if I am not wrong. Someone told me Imam Jafar Sadiq prohibited from wearing Black shoes and Black Clothes. Is it true?

Jazaak Allah Khair.

Thanks for your response just in a logical manner this means if your supposition is true that you are saying your prayers all of the prayers making the face towards black clothed Kaaba and these will all be  makrooh then?

No my brother this supposition is not true.I do not consider it makrooh in any manner.

wasalam

Edited by skyweb1987

On 11/23/2017 at 1:07 PM, skyweb1987 said:

Thanks for your response just in a logical manner this means if your supposition is true that you are saying your prayers all of the prayers making the face towards black clothed Kaaba and these will all be  makrooh then?

No my brother this supposition is not true.I do not consider it makrooh in any manner.

wasalam

You're comparing apples to oranges. The brother asked about wearing black. How the Kiswah fits into the argument here is beyond me. Besides, it used to be white during the Prophet's (p) time!

Anyway, to answer your question brother @Shah Khan: Yes. It is Makrooh to wear black attire when not worn in order to mourn (with few exceptions like turban etc.). From Ayatullah Sistani's (rh) website:

Question: Is it permissible to wear black on an ordinary day when it is not coinciding with the martyrdom of one the fourteen infallibles?

Answer: It is permissible but it is reprehensible (makrooh) to wear full black.

https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01134/

Maybe later if I have some more time I can dig up a couple of ahadith that I recall from Al-Kafi that state the same. 

Salam 

18 hours ago, Shah Khan said:

Jazaak Allah Khair.

Wa aleykumsalaam,

Yes, Black clothes and black shoes are Makhruh (Disliked), but black turban and black cloak is allowed according to our narrations.

There's a chapter in Al-Kafi Volume 6 that is called 'باب لُبْسِ السّوَادِ' which is 'Dislike for black clothes'. Here's the first hadith: 

عِدّةٌ مِنْ أَصْحَابِنَا عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ أَبِي عَبْدِ الِّ عَنْ بَعْضِ أَصْحَابِهِ رَفَعَهُ قَالَ كَانَ رَسُلولُ الِّل ( صللى الل عليله وآلله ) يَكْرَهُ السّوَادَ إِلّ فِي ثَلَثٍ الْخُفّ وَ الْعِمَامَةِ وَ الْكِسَاءِ

[...] from the Prophet (pbuh&hp) that he detests wearing black except in three: the shoe, the cloak and the turban. 

Some doubts have been raised about the authenticity of the above. There's a long (but interesting) analysis of the ahadith we have on the topic here: http://www.valiasr-aj.com/english/mobile_shownews.php?idnews=251 

Salam

16 hours ago, Basim Ali said:

You're comparing apples to oranges. The brother asked about wearing black. How the Kiswah fits into the argument here is beyond me. Besides, it used to be white during the Prophet's (p) time!

1. The narrations from Ahl albaayt AS indicate the permission of wearing black clothes in  month of Muharram  for the  mourning for Imam Hussein over the calamities  faced by him

2.  The views of ulema indicate that the black clothes are not permissible while praying.

The simple question arises here does it mean that the praying during the month of Muharram with black clothes is Makrooh . haram?

Similarly, if the Kaaba is clothed black in all does it mean that all the persons praying there have makrooh  prayers because of black Kaaba?

would you please like to clarify?

wasalam

Edited by skyweb1987

54 minutes ago, skyweb1987 said:

1. The narrations from Ahl albaayt AS indicate the permission of wearing black clothes in  month of Muharram  for the  mourning for Imam Hussein over the calamities  faced by him

2.  The views of ulema indicate that the black clothes are not permissible while praying.

The simple question arises here does it mean that the praying during the month of Muharram with black clothes is Makrooh . haram?

Similarly, if the Kaaba is clothed black in all does it mean that all the persons praying there have makrooh  prayers because of black Kaaba?

would you please like to clarify?

wasalam

It is makrooh to wear black in a day where there is no mourning. So your average day. The brother is not arguing it is makrooh to wear it in Muharram.

It is makrooh for a human to pray in black clothes, no one here said that putting black material on objects is makrooh. 

Why are you using BLACK TEXT?

Is it Makrooh for the Black person to pray with his BLACK SKIN?. Yes, there are Black people in this world, south asians to africans. Not all, generally many are chocolate coloured.

If the claim is otherwise, then the issue of wearing black is useless. Unless the color black is being associated with X, and thus that association is leading us to the point of it being makrooh. It has to be justified as makrooh, as reason negates it from being haram, considering Black is part of nature.

This post may be reported as being prejudice, which it isnt, but a general point through obervation.

Edited by monad

Jazaak Allah Khair My Shia Brothers in Islam.

I thought Imam Jafir-as-Sadiq(Rah) forbade the wearing of Black Clothes due to Abbasid Caliphate. Otherwise, I may be wrong but I think Prophet Muhammad and Ahlul-Bayt(Razi-Allah) did wore whole Black Clothes. In Normal Days.

3 hours ago, E.L King said:

It is makrooh to wear black in a day where there is no mourning. So your average day. The brother is not arguing it is makrooh to wear it in Muharram.

It is makrooh for a human to pray in black clothes, no one here said that putting black material on objects is makrooh. 

Brother you have not responded to my questions as given in my last post to give a clear vision for the answer.

Edited by skyweb1987

10 hours ago, E.L King said:

Please clarify brother your intention

My intention is clear as given in my questions.

Wasalam

Edited by skyweb1987

Just now, skyweb1987 said:

My intention is clear with my question.

Wasalam

Are you asking if they are makrooh to wear in Muharram? No they are not. 

They are only makrooh to wear in days that are not mourning days.

Sayyed Al-Sistani said it is makrooh to wear black in a normal day.

39 minutes ago, E.L King said:

Are you asking if they are makrooh to wear in Muharram? No they are not. 

They are only makrooh to wear in days that are not mourning days.

Sayyed Al-Sistani said it is makrooh to wear black in a normal day.

Thanks the most relevant answer to the question i have got is given below:

Mirza Jawad Tabrizi

سؤال: ألا يكره للمصلي لبس السواد؟ كيف نجمع بين هذا الحكم الشرعي وبين استحباب لبس السواد عزاءا على الحسين عليه السلام؟

جواب: لم يثبت كراهية لبس السواد لا في الصلاة ولا في غيرها، نعم ورد في بعض الروايات ما يستفاد منها كراهية لبس السواد، ولكنها ضعيفة السند، ومع الإغماض عن ضعفها، فالكراهة في الصلاة بمعنى أقل ثوابا، ولبس السواد في عزاء الحسين والأئمة عليهم السلام لأجل إظهار الحزن وإقامة شعائر المذهب مستحب نفسي، وثوابه أكثر من نقص الثواب في الصلاة، والله العالم.

Question:

Isn’t wearing black while praying Makruh? On the other hand, donning black is commendable during the mourning period for Imam Hussein (AS). What is the justification for the contradiction between these two points?

Answer:

The undesirability of wearing black clothes in the state of praying or in other situations is not proven as an absolute fact. It is only derived from a number of narratives the chains of transmission of which are unreliable and weak. Regardless of their unreliability, wearing black clothes while praying will lessen its spiritual reward. But putting on black clothes in grief for Imam Hussein (AS) is a religious rite and commendable.

Al-‘Amili; al-Intisar, vol. 9, p. 247; publication, Dar al-Sirat, Beirut, Lebanon, the first edition, 1422.

Following the analysis of jurists’ ideas it was finally revealed that wearing black in prayers is Makruh.

Another question which may come into the readers’ minds is whether praying in black clothes for black-clad mourners during the month of Muharram or ceremonies held for the martyrdoms of the Aimma is Makruh as well.

The question has been answered by Haj Aqa Mirza Jawad Tabrizi.

سؤال: ما حكم اللباس الأسود في الصلاة أيام وفيات الأئمة عليهم السلام، هل هو مكروه ؟ جواب : إذا كان اللبس بداع إظهار الحزن وتعظيم الشعائر فليس بمكروه، والله العالم.

It is not Makruh if the motivation behind the clothing is the expression of grief.

Al-‘Amili; al-Intisar, vol. 9, p. 247; publication: Dar al-Sirat, Beirut, Lebanon, the first edition, 1422.

The considerable point in jurists’ decrees is bad this kind the prohibition implies that wearing black while praying will only diminish its spiritual rewards. In other words, donning black while praying does not nullify the prayer. It only decreases its rewards. So, wearing garments in other colors is recommended for the state of praying.

http://www.valiasr-aj.com/english/mobile_shownews.php?idnews=251

wasalam

Edited by skyweb1987

Now I get It. According to Shia Islam a Man can wear all Colors. It all depends on the Customs where the person live. I have found some texts about this in Tehzib ul Islam written by Baqir Majlisi.

13 minutes ago, E.L King said:

@skyweb1987 thank you for the opinion of Mirza Jawad (rh), but the opinion of Sayyed Al-Sistani (ha) also matters.

And he says wearing black is makrooh in prayer and in a normal day.

So what is your opinion on the opinion of Sistani?

I have just found the most relevant answer for my question and i have mentioned it. Its  last part clarifies about the makrooh condition I re-quote it:

"which implies that wearing black while praying will only diminish its spiritual rewards. In other words, donning black while praying does not nullify the prayer. It only decreases its rewards. So, wearing garments in other colors is recommended for the state of praying".

I certainly regard the opinion of scholar and Marja Sistani.

Edited by skyweb1987

1 hour ago, skyweb1987 said:

I have just found the most relevant answer for my question and i have mentioned it. Its  last part clarifies about the makrooh condition I re-quote it:

"which implies that wearing black while praying will only diminish its spiritual rewards. In other words, donning black while praying does not nullify the prayer. It only decreases its rewards. So, wearing garments in other colors is recommended for the state of praying".

I certainly regard the opinion of scholar and Marja Sistani.

I see.