hasanhh

Net Neutrality

Rate this topic

Once again, lnternet usage, access, and ownership responsibilities are under review.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/backlash-building-over-plan-gut-net-neutrality-n823436 

For the 200+ page Federal Communications document see:

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-347927A1.pdf 

A lot of this revolves around "service providers".

Question: can service providers deny access, say to SC ?

for Iran beside the censorship of Internet in some sites as google you cant have access to some part of them because of Region & IP address in win 10 with region is on  Iran you cant enter windows store & error 1009 from Apple periodically happens

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

4 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Question: can service providers deny access, say to SC ?

Hypothetically they can, but it seems more likely that they will slow access to sites that don't pay a ransom, not cut them off entirely. 

Info for ALL:  Voice Support for NET NEUTRALITY

On 11/23/2017 at 6:46 AM, kirtc said:

Thank God its only a US thing :D
*points at hassanhh and laughs maniacally

On 11/23/2017 at 7:23 AM, notme said:

Hypothetically they can, but it seems more likely that they will slow access to sites that don't pay a ransom, not cut them off entirely. 

The FCC is open for public comment on 17-108  Changing the Net from being administered under Title II to Title l.  :angry:

There are two ways to access below because Big Mother gov't --May Allah-s.w.t. frustrate her-- doesn't want comments. So things got transformed into a little obstreperous procedure this time around for Net Neutrality comments.

Please Tell Your Friends as the hearings are this week.

First way, the Big Mother Gov't Way is:

goto:   fcc.gov/ecfs/search-proceedings     (lt was fcc.gov/comments  -another gov't efficiency change?)

Where it reads "Specify Proceeding"  enter:  17-108

Then hit "Search"

Then click "Express"   -which is over on the right near the top

Then fill out the form and add your comments opposing change.

Then try to "Submit"   [note: l couldn't]

BUT there is a Second way, courtesy of comedian John Oliver who got the URL for U.S.

Goto:  gofccyourself.com  and it takes you straight to the submission form.  :clap: 

Use the info in #First Way as a help.

This worked for me and yes, you read the address correctly. Well, he is a "comedian" even if he is a little suggestive.:D

3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

This worked for me and yes, you read the address correctly. Well, he is a "comedian" even if he is a little suggestive.:D

It wouldn't let me submit my comment. 

When internet service providers are able to block or restrict access to sites they do not prefer, do we have a plan for how to maintain communication with the world? 

What do they do in other oppressive countries? What are our options?

On 11/26/2017 at 2:01 PM, notme said:

It wouldn't let me submit my comment. 

And still not letting me submit my comment. If anyone here is able, please comment on my behalf. 

51 minutes ago, notme said:

And still not letting me submit my comment. If anyone here is able, please comment on my behalf. 

You entered as per post 6 ?

l'll send you a PM, inshallah.

Edited by hasanhh

27 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

You entered as per post 6 ?

l'll send you a PM, inshallah.

Yep. When I tell the form to submit, it blanks the name field and tells me I have to include a name. I've tried my own, other people's, made up. It won't take it. I'll try on a different device. 

@hasanhh Got my comment submitted through my laptop on the second try.  I couldn't get it to work on either mobile device.  

@everyone else in the United States:  if it doesn't work for you, try again, try another way of accessing the internet.  

And think about how you will spend your spare time if shiachat is blocked to you.

3 hours ago, notme said:

What do they do in other oppressive countries? What are our options?

Protest, unite against it, I've always said given people's apathy to what the US does abroad will some day come back to bite them, if they have no problem destroying foreign countries, what makes people think these policies will one day not impact people at home? 

Natiional Public Radio, "Science Friday" 01Dec17

The second subject of this program was/is Net Neutrality and how the current effort to dismiss complaints and comments. The head of this is saying he is reading only things from law firms. He also cites studies from the May 17 Review Comments where there were a significant number of bots on both sides of the issue.

Some points made were: that Comcast admitted to manipulating the Net service it provides; AT&T fought Wi-Fi; mergers are narrowing the number of service providers; And while several companies said they will not Fast Lane, they will now develop Slow Lanes to save on Broadband.

The scariest part is when one guest said change will stifle/kill start-ups if they have to pay. He used Netflix as an example of a have-nothing-startup. He also noted the Net is now a significant part of our economy.

l was looking for something else Thursday and l noted separate  lists of hundreds of lT jobs, electronics engineers and software developers. Not counting those already employed. Changing the "field" could damage the economy significantly.

On 11/23/2017 at 11:57 AM, Silas said:

What kind of Internet restrictions exist in Iran? Do they have a "great firewall" like China?

hi its not a "great firewall" like china it can be passed by commercial VPN applications such as Hotspotshield or Lantern ,etc to visit sites such as Youtube & Facebook.