Salsabeel

Meanings of word "Kitab" or its root "Ka Ta Ba"?

Rate this topic

:bismillah:

What are the possible meanings of word "Kitab" in Quranic Arabic?
It appears that it has a wide range of meanings e.g.,

كِتَابٌ مَّرْقُومٌ
Written Book (83:20)

كِتَابٌ مَّعْلُومٌ
Term made known (15:4)

كِتَابٌ يَنطِقُ بِالْحَقِّ
Book which speaks with truth

لَكِتَابٌ عَزِيزٌ
A Mighty Book (41:41)

كِتَابٌ حَفِيظٌ
A writing that preserves (50:4)

And today while I was reciting the chapter 27, I found that the same word "Kitab" is used in the meaning of letter.

كِتَابٌ كَرِيمٌ
Honorable Letter (27:29)

اذْهَب بِّكِتَابِي هَذَا فَأَلْقِهْ إِلَيْهِمْ ثُمَّ تَوَلَّ عَنْهُمْ فَانظُرْ مَاذَا يَرْجِعُونَ

قَالَتْ يَا أَيُّهَا المَلَأُ إِنِّي أُلْقِيَ إِلَيَّ كِتَابٌ كَرِيمٌ

So as per translations, "Kitab" possibly means "Book", "Record", "Writing", "Letter", "Term"...

Please share with me if you know more possible meanings of word "Kitab" or its root word "Ka Ta Ba"..

As far as I know, in that time Arabs didnt have books similar to the ones we have nowadays. There were not even enough papers so sometimes they wrote on animals' skin and sometimes just used their memory. So kitab can mean something written.

4 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

So as per translations, "Kitab" possibly means "Book", "Record", "Writing", "Letter", "Term"...

Please share with me if you know more possible meanings of word "Kitab" or its root word "Ka Ta Ba"..

Brother the meaning you have quoted are true for the Arabic word Kitab.

I like to quote about the words for the word like kitab or from its root kataba, the frequency of these and type is given below:

-----------------
Frequency Words
-----------------
الكتب        163
يكتبون             5
كتبت              2
كتب             67
والكتب           8
فاكتبوه    1
وليكتب    1
يكتب    2
فليكتب    1
تكتبوه    1
تكتبوها    1
وكتبه    3
فاكتبنا    2
بالكتب    4
كتبا    12
سنكتب    2
كتبنا    4
وكتب    2
وكتبنا    2
بكتب    3
واكتب    1
فساكتبها    1
كتبك    1
كتبه    5
كتبهم    1
كتبون    1
للكتب    1
بكتبي    1
وبالكتب    1
ونكتب    1
بكتبكم    1
لكتب    1
ستكتب    1
كتبها    1
كتبنها    1
كتبيه    2
كتبين    1
-----------------
Count = 37
Total = 308

(I may add the meanings for these words used in Quran. if you mention the word for that meaning you need.)

The verse that has caught my attention is given below:

١٠_٣٧    وَمَا كَانَ هَٰذَا ٱلْقُرْءَانُ أَن يُفْتَرَىٰ مِن دُونِ ٱللَّهِ وَلَٰكِن تَصْدِيقَ ٱلَّذِى بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ وَتَفْصِيلَ ٱلْكِتَٰبِ لَا رَيْبَ فِيهِ مِن رَّبِّ ٱلْعَٰلَمِينَ

010:037 This Quran could not have been fabricated by anyone besides Allah; rather, it is a confirmation of what was [revealed] before it, and an elaboration of the Book, there is no doubt in it, from the Lord of all the worlds.

The Quran is mentioned as an elaboration of the book. 

Would you like to comment about it?

Edited by skyweb1987
correction

15 hours ago, skyweb1987 said:

The verse that has caught my attention is given below:

١٠_٣٧    وَمَا كَانَ هَٰذَا ٱلْقُرْءَانُ أَن يُفْتَرَىٰ مِن دُونِ ٱللَّهِ وَلَٰكِن تَصْدِيقَ ٱلَّذِى بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ وَتَفْصِيلَ ٱلْكِتَٰبِ لَا رَيْبَ فِيهِ مِن رَّبِّ ٱلْعَٰلَمِينَ

010:037 This Quran could not have been fabricated by anyone besides Allah; rather, it is a confirmation of what was [revealed] before it, and an elaboration of the Book, there is no doubt in it, from the Lord of all the worlds.

The Quran is mentioned as an elaboration of the book. 

Would you like to comment about it?

Some times, it gives me the impression that "Al-Kitab" as well as "Quran" is also used for those blessed personalities whom we are following. 

بَلْ هُوَ آيَاتٌ بَيِّنَاتٌ فِي صُدُورِ الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْعِلْمَ وَمَا يَجْحَدُ بِآيَاتِنَا إِلَّا الظَّالِمُونَ
Nay! these are clear communications in the breasts of those who are granted knowledge; and none deny Our communications except the unjust. (29:49) 

The quloob of those blessed personalities are like Kitab, their wajood represents Quran. The word "Hatha" before Quran, also contain depth and its meanings are not fixed, some verses gives a totally different impression of "hatha".

وَقَالَ الرَّسُولُ يَا رَبِّ إِنَّ قَوْمِي اتَّخَذُوا هَذَا الْقُرْآنَ مَهْجُورًا

And the Apostle cried out: O my Lord! surely my people have treated this Quran as a forsaken thing (25:30) 

Here, seems to me as like the Quran is standing beside Prophet, in a totally different shape & appearance

I don't want to do tafseer of any verse here from my own, just giving you my personal thoughts.

8 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

Some times, it gives me the impression that "Al-Kitab" as well as "Quran" is also used for those blessed personalities whom we are following. 

بَلْ هُوَ آيَاتٌ بَيِّنَاتٌ فِي صُدُورِ الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْعِلْمَ وَمَا يَجْحَدُ بِآيَاتِنَا إِلَّا الظَّالِمُونَ
Nay! these are clear communications in the breasts of those who are granted knowledge; and none deny Our communications except the unjust. (29:49) 

The quloob of those blessed personalities are like Kitab, their wajood represents Quran. The word "Hatha" before Quran, also contain depth and its meanings are not fixed, some verses gives a totally different impression of "hatha".

وَقَالَ الرَّسُولُ يَا رَبِّ إِنَّ قَوْمِي اتَّخَذُوا هَذَا الْقُرْآنَ مَهْجُورًا

And the Apostle cried out: O my Lord! surely my people have treated this Quran as a forsaken thing (25:30) 

Here, seems to me as like the Quran is standing beside Prophet, in a totally different shape & appearance

I don't want to do tafseer of any verse here from my own, just giving you my personal thoughts.

Brother with this aspect you should also give a thought to verses with the word "Al-Haq" thats being mentioned in many verses with    "Al-kitab". like:

٢_١٧٦    ذَٰلِكَ بِأَنَّ ٱللَّهَ نَزَّلَ ٱلْكِتَٰبَ بِٱلْحَقِّ ۗ وَإِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ٱخْتَلَفُوا۟ فِى ٱلْكِتَٰبِ لَفِى شِقَاقٍۭ بَعِيدٍۢ

002:176 That is so because Allah has sent down the Book with the truth, and those who differ about the Book are surely in extreme defiance.

٣_٣    نَزَّلَ عَلَيْكَ ٱلْكِتَٰبَ بِٱلْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقًۭا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ وَأَنزَلَ ٱلتَّوْرَىٰةَ وَٱلْإِنجِيلَ

003:003 He has sent down to you the Book with the truth, confirming what was [revealed] before it, and He had sent down the Torah and the Evangel

This may provide you the evidence for such thought.

wasalam

15 hours ago, skyweb1987 said:

Brother with this aspect you should also give a thought to verses with the word "Al-Haq" thats being mentioned in many verses with    "Al-kitab". like:

٢_١٧٦    ذَٰلِكَ بِأَنَّ ٱللَّهَ نَزَّلَ ٱلْكِتَٰبَ بِٱلْحَقِّ ۗ وَإِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ٱخْتَلَفُوا۟ فِى ٱلْكِتَٰبِ لَفِى شِقَاقٍۭ بَعِيدٍۢ

002:176 That is so because Allah has sent down the Book with the truth, and those who differ about the Book are surely in extreme defiance.

٣_٣    نَزَّلَ عَلَيْكَ ٱلْكِتَٰبَ بِٱلْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقًۭا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ وَأَنزَلَ ٱلتَّوْرَىٰةَ وَٱلْإِنجِيلَ

003:003 He has sent down to you the Book with the truth, confirming what was [revealed] before it, and He had sent down the Torah and the Evangel

This may provide you the evidence for such thought.

wasalam

Yes Brother, the words "haqq" as well as  "meezan" 
اللَّهُ الَّذِي أَنزَلَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ وَالْمِيزَانَ وَمَا يُدْرِيكَ لَعَلَّ السَّاعَةَ قَرِيبٌ
Allah it is Who revealed the Book with truth, and the balance, and what shall make you know that haply the hour be nigh? (42:17)

لَقَدْ أَرْسَلْنَا رُسُلَنَا بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ وَأَنزَلْنَا مَعَهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْمِيزَانَ لِيَقُومَ النَّاسُ بِالْقِسْطِ
Certainly We sent Our apostles with clear arguments, and sent down with them the Book and the balance that men may conduct themselves with equity; (57:25)

But the verses of Chapter 43 always remain in my sight.

إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَاهُ قُرْآنًا عَرَبِيًّا لَّعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ

وَإِنَّهُ فِي أُمِّ الْكِتَابِ لَدَيْنَا لَعَلِيٌّ حَكِيمٌ

Surely We have made it an Arabic Quran that you may understand. And surely it is in the original of the Book with Us, truly elevated, full of wisdom. (43:3-4)

Again, I dont want to do tafseer bir-raye, just recite these verses & takes the taste of phrase "La-Aliyyun Hakeem". 

:) This is the level of Quran with Allah, I know one more "Aliyyun Hakeem"...  a person whose name is "Ali" and he is also a "Hakeem".

2 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

Yes Brother, the words "haqq" as well as  "meezan" 
اللَّهُ الَّذِي أَنزَلَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ وَالْمِيزَانَ وَمَا يُدْرِيكَ لَعَلَّ السَّاعَةَ قَرِيبٌ
Allah it is Who revealed the Book with truth, and the balance, and what shall make you know that haply the hour be nigh? (42:17)

لَقَدْ أَرْسَلْنَا رُسُلَنَا بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ وَأَنزَلْنَا مَعَهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْمِيزَانَ لِيَقُومَ النَّاسُ بِالْقِسْطِ
Certainly We sent Our apostles with clear arguments, and sent down with them the Book and the balance that men may conduct themselves with equity; (57:25)

This reminds  me the following  hadith: 

Ali ul Ma'a ul haq wal haq ma'a Ali

Imam Ali is with haq and haq is with Ali As. 

Ali ul Ma'a ul Quran wal Quran ma'a Ali.

Imam Ali is with quran and quran  is with Ali As. 

(This also provides the evidence for the hadith thaqlayn.)

wasalam