Guest guest here

profit margin per month

Guest guest here

Asalam O Alykum. My brother owes me a large sum of money but because of some family problems he is not willing to give my money back now or in future as well, moreover he has used my money without my permission, and because of it my per month profit margin has gone down. So my question is that can I add per month percentage margin in the amount that he has to repay me?

1 hour ago, Guest guest here said:

Asalam O Alykum. My brother owes me a large sum of money but because of some family problems he is not willing to give my money back now or in future as well, moreover he has used my money without my permission, and because of it my per month profit margin has gone down. So my question is that can I add per month percentage margin in the amount that he has to repay me?

Salam. I know nothing about business transactions, but if adding a percentage to the amount your brother owes you is "interest" then you should not do that.

“If the debtor is in a difficulty, grant him time till it is easy for him to repay. But if you remit it by way of charity, that is best for you if you only knew.” [Holy Qur’an 2:280]

If you cannot gift the money that he owes you, then you can ask for him to return it. If he is your own brother (from your mother or your father), you should be kind to him. If he stole your money, it would be a crime, but you can appeal to him to pay you back, a little bit each month. Obviously he cannot give you a large sum of money all at once, and you don't want to call the police on your brother. Have patience. 

How did he use your money without your permission?. By now, one should not be so naive in allowing family members access to accounts or funds, considering men can be swayed by ideas of making great fortunes.

No, I doubt you can add interest, although hiding it behind the phrase - percentage margin, admin costs, fees etc still makes it interest.

On 11/16/2017 at 11:18 PM, Guest guest here said:

he is not willing to give my money back now or in future as well

can I add per month percentage margin in the amount that he has to repay me?

Since you said he is not going to pay you, why do you want to add percentage to make it more? He is your brother. He owes you only what he owes you. One penny extra would be too much and the Holy Quran mentions to be fair and not do wrong to others. See this famous ayah:

وَأَقِيمُوا الْوَزْنَ بِالْقِسْطِ وَلَا تُخْسِرُوا الْمِيزَانَ

Waaqeemoo alwazna bialqisti wala tukhsiroo almeezana

Measure with justice and do not shorten the balance. (Qur’an 55:9)

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:18 PM, Guest guest here said:

Off-hand l'd say two of your options are:

1] Take him to small-claims court and use the courts 'judgment cap' (e.g. $2500 in some states) and claim this portion is past due if he owes more than $2500.  Then go-for-the-rest later (if necessary :egg: )

2] Write him off your taxes as a "bad debt" and send a report to a credit reporting agency.

Also, if he put the money into a business, then go to the BBB and see if their complaint dep't can help.