islam25

why Muslims remain behind in science and Tech

Just now, islam25 said:

To pray be submissive is not bad. Neither being submissive means one should not research and innovative activities. There is still enough time for doing excellent things in field of science. 

I think Islam encourages scientific advancements, research, etc. I think people just think of Islam as pray, fast, hajj, resist tyranny, these are elements of the faith, but researching particularly things about that can impact millions of people is not only allowed, I would say it would be encouraged heavily. Doing research on things like new cancer treatments, climate change initiatives, which could save lives, should be spoken about more often. I think this is an area we can have more discussion, lectures etc. We have enough lectures on respecting parents, hijab, sunni/shia issues.

3 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

I don't think its Islam that holds people back, it is authoritarian tendencies that prevent freedom of thought and the ability to think in different ways. As for Islam being liberal back in the day? It depends what you mean by liberal, the definition of liberalism seems to have changed with time, but if you mean freedom to think in different ways, freedom to criticize policies, I agree with it, I think criticism is necessary for any society to move forward.

You may be right, I am only expressing my opinion but I notice that In the West most Christians have moved away from the literal interpretation of the Bible. 

Many Christians have accepted the results of Science because religion is not as powerful or omnipresent, they have adjusted their beliefs accordingly and are no longer committed to the literal existence of their biblical parents [Adam and Eve]. Most Muslims have yet to take even this first step.  

Many intellectuals frustrated by the lack of meaningful debate are leaving Islam, apostates blogs are growing like mushrooms. 

Islam was the intellectual centre for science, philosophy, medicine and education. 

Where are the scholars now?  How many can you name?

wslm.

3 hours ago, Quisant said:

Many Christians have accepted the results of Science because religion is not as powerful or omnipresent, they have adjusted their beliefs accordingly and are no longer committed to the literal existence of their biblical parents [Adam and Eve]. Most Muslims have yet to take even this first step.  

وَمَا لَهُمْ بِهِ مِنْ عِلْمٍ ۖ إِنْ يَتَّبِعُونَ إِلَّا الظَّنَّ ۖ وَإِنَّ الظَّنَّ لَا يُغْنِي مِنَ الْحَقِّ شَيْئًا {28}

[Pickthal 53:28] And they have no knowledge thereof. They follow but a guess, and lo! a guess can never take the place of the truth.

فَأَعْرِضْ عَنْ مَنْ تَوَلَّىٰ عَنْ ذِكْرِنَا وَلَمْ يُرِدْ إِلَّا الْحَيَاةَ الدُّنْيَا {29}

[Pickthal 53:29] Then withdraw (O Muhammad) from him who fleeth from Our remembrance and desireth but the life of the world.

ذَٰلِكَ مَبْلَغُهُمْ مِنَ الْعِلْمِ ۚ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ هُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَنْ ضَلَّ عَنْ سَبِيلِهِ وَهُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَنِ اهْتَدَىٰ {30}

[Pickthal 53:30] Such is their sum of knowledge. Lo! thy Lord is Best Aware of him who strayeth, and He is Best Aware of him whom goeth right.

3 hours ago, S.M.H.A. said:

وَمَا لَهُمْ بِهِ مِنْ عِلْمٍ ۖ إِنْ يَتَّبِعُونَ إِلَّا الظَّنَّ ۖ وَإِنَّ الظَّنَّ لَا يُغْنِي مِنَ الْحَقِّ شَيْئًا {28}

[Pickthal 53:28] And they have no knowledge thereof. They follow but a guess, and lo! a guess can never take the place of the truth.

فَأَعْرِضْ عَنْ مَنْ تَوَلَّىٰ عَنْ ذِكْرِنَا وَلَمْ يُرِدْ إِلَّا الْحَيَاةَ الدُّنْيَا {29}

[Pickthal 53:29] Then withdraw (O Muhammad) from him who fleeth from Our remembrance and desireth but the life of the world.

ذَٰلِكَ مَبْلَغُهُمْ مِنَ الْعِلْمِ ۚ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ هُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَنْ ضَلَّ عَنْ سَبِيلِهِ وَهُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَنِ اهْتَدَىٰ {30}

[Pickthal 53:30] Such is their sum of knowledge. Lo! thy Lord is Best Aware of him who strayeth, and He is Best Aware of him whom goeth right.

That is precisely my point.

Some animals hide their head in the sand, some men hide their head in a book.

Who has made the computer you use, the car you drive, the watch you wear, the Television, the fridge etc etc etc.

6 minutes ago, Quisant said:

Islam was the intellectual centre for science, philosophy, medicine and education. 

True, so I fail to see how it is religion that held back. I think close-minded fundamentalist interpretations do. Christianity suffered from this for a very long time, with the Catholic vs. Protestant wars, the anti-Jewish pogroms, they moved on from that, but it seems this crisis is affecting the Muslim world now, part of it is imposed by imperial powers (the imposition of extremist doctrines like Wahhabism, which is increasingly affecting Sunni Islam) and part of is internal too for regimes to stifle the voice of their own people. 

3 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

True, so I fail to see how it is religion that held back. I think close-minded fundamentalist interpretations do. Christianity suffered from this for a very long time, with the Catholic vs. Protestant wars, the anti-Jewish pogroms, they moved on from that, but it seems this crisis is affecting the Muslim world now, part of it is imposed by imperial powers (the imposition of extremist doctrines like Wahhabism, which is increasingly affecting Sunni Islam) and part of is internal too for regimes to stifle the voice of their own people. 

As I said, it is only my opinion, I think religion in Islam has too much power and it is stifling progress because in would mean power sharing.

I agree with the rest of your post and hope for some positive change in the future.

21 minutes ago, Quisant said:

That is precisely my point.

Some animals hide their head in the sand, some men hide their head in a book.

Who has made the computer you use, the car you drive, the watch you wear, the Television, the fridge etc etc etc.

Just a product of a random chance , like you. May be they all evolved.

Hadith of Persian Men

Page issues

Hadith of Persian Men (Persianحدیث مردان پارسی‎‎ ) refers to a Hadith, an Islamic "report", "account," or "narrative" about the people of Iran(Persia).

Contents

DefinitionEdit

The central Hadith of Persian Men is understood to concern three concepts: Iman (faith), Din (Religion) and Ilm (knowledge).[1]

ContextEdit

The Hadith of Persian Men has been narrated in different hadith compilations, including the following:

Bukhari's SahihEdit

Muhammad_al-Bukhari provided the hadith:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

While we were sitting with the Prophet Surat al-Jumu'a was revealed to him, and when the Verse, "And He (Allah) has sent him (Muhammad) also to other (Muslims)....." (62:3) was recited by the Prophet, I said, "Who are they, O Allah's Apostle?" The Prophet did not reply till I repeated my question thrice. At that time, Salman al-Farsi was with us. So Allah's Apostle put his hand on Salman, saying: "Even if Faith were at (the place of) Ath-Thuraiya (Pleiades, the highest star), then some man or men from these people (i.e. Salman's folk) would attain it."[2]

Directly following this, is the hadith:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "Then some men from these people would attain it."[2]

Muslim's SahihEdit

Ibn al-Hajjaj narrates this hadith in the chapter: "The merits of the people of Persia":

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: "If the din were at the Pleiades, even then a person from Persia would have taken hold of it, or one amongst the Persian descent would have surely found it".[3]

Then follows the consequent hadith:

Abu Huraira reported: We were sitting in the company of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) that Sura al-Jumu'a was revealed to him and when he recited (these words) : "Others from amongst them who have not yet joined them." A person amongst them (those who were sitting there) said: "Allah's Messenger!" But Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) made no reply, until he questioned him once, twice or thrice. And there was amongst us Salman the Persian. The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) placed his hand on Salman and then said: "Even if faith were near the Pleiades, a man from amongst these would surely find it".[3]

TerminologyEdit

Ath-ThuraiyaEdit

The term: "Ath-Thuraiya" is used in this Hadith uniquely. The term is believed to convey an exaggerated expression of remoteness.

PersiaEdit

The contextual meaning of "Persia/Iran" may be mistaken by contemporary readers as modern Iran; however, a fuller comprehension of the Hadith requires an understanding of the Hadith Historicity context and definitions of its terminology regarding what was meant by "Persia". Possibilities include:

• Persian speakers - Some scholars believe that the word "Persia" does not refer to a physical origin; rather, it is attributed to those whose mother tongue is Persian.
  • East of the Arabian Peninsula - Some scholars believe that Persia means east of the Arabian Peninsula based on its historical application by the Arabs.

ReferencesEdit
  1. a b Maarif, Majid; Mir Hossini, Yahya (Winter 2011). "A hadith on the merits of the people of the persia: An investigation". ULUM-I-HADITH (in Persian). 15: 118–139.
  2. a b Sahih Bukhari Volume 006, Book 060
  3. a b Translation of Sahih Muslim, Book 31

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadith_of_Persian_Men

Perhaps it's because of the corruption in the world today, in general, (including that which is within Scientific Research; no doubt!), that Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى does not want we Muslims interfering with the course of Nature! We should be concentrating on being good Muslims: especially with our Salat!

https://www.al-islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/shia-vs-iran

Hi this not will of Allah the problem is from within us you can see when Muslim scientific Muslim men&women works in foreigner countries because it good situation of that countries they are very successful but in Muslim countries they have not good situation

On 11/16/2017 at 8:36 AM, Akbar673 said:

This is partially due to the fact that economic advancement goes hand in hand with scientific advancement. The more money available results in more money going to research either with a company or in a University. All that adds up to scientific advancement.

Now, who’s had the most economic advancement over the last century or so?Europe and America. Pre WWII Germany was the top tech and engineering country and after the war the US took over by bringing all of those German scientists to the US.

What have Muslim countries done in that time? What is the quality of a college education in a Muslim country over the last century or so? Regardless, of whatever scientific data the Imams(AS) left behind.

Now add to that picture the economic hitman and all his sanctions PRECISELY to keep nations poor and backwards. It does not want us to study the atom and the particles despite repeated assurances we will not use nuclear fission as weapon (nukes). The global elites / bankers / bolshevik use a teaspoonful of uranium to power their monstrosities, their navies and power plants for years on. But we are forced to buy and burn fossil fuel. The vehicles we drive are not allowed to run on anything other than fossil fuel and the computers in them are programmed to make the fuel air mixtures as rich on fuel as they can so we buy more and burn more. With a tech like solar power we have the means to free ourselves but very surprisingly even our own governments and leaders are not leading us in that direction. Some of them may be naive, while the clergy of science are hiding knowledge and misleading people for the elite global jewry the capitalists and lead us all on paths that make us financially weak day by day and the jews richer. In these circumstances when merely staying afloat financially is a task that takes a person's whole life how can we make progress on research, arts, culture, spirituality, social science, exploration and all that? We're all enslaved, and rather we are losing all those fine things rapidly.

Salam,

I asked myself the same question once and upon searching an answer, I realized that many Muslims, Shia or Sunni, don't have the same drive that people from the West or the East(China,Japan) have. And I think the main reason for that, is that most muslims think they already have the answer, Islam, and that extra knowledge about our reality (physical or metaphysical) will not help them. Which is false. Look at the Iranians. Because they encouraged their youth to work hard in technology and science that the country became one of te most powerful nations in less than 30 years.