Ashvazdanghe

Imam `Ali and Surah Zilzal

Rate this topic

Imam `Ali and Surah Zilzal

http://www.bibifatima.org/english/blog/2009/11/11/imamali/

It is narrated from Fatima (Peace upon her) that:  In the time of the caliphate of Abu Bakr an earthquake occurred in the city of Medina.  People, worried and afraid tried to take refuge in Abu Bakr’s and `Umar’s  house, but Abu Bakr and `Umar were themselves frightened and were going to `Ali’s (Peace upon him) house.  Everyone followed Abu Bakr and `Umar to `Ali’s (Peace upon him) house.  When they reached Ali’s (Peace upon him) house, `Ali (Peace upon him) came out of the house in a normal state and was not worried or frightened.  He went forward and the people followed him until they reached a hill.  They all sat at the top of the hill and were looking at the buildings and houses of Medina and saw that its walls were violently moving due to the intensity of the earthquake.

`Ali (peace upon him) stated, “It is apparent that this incident which you are witnessing has frightened you?!”

The people said, “How can we not be frighten when we have never seen such an earthquake before?!”

Fatima (Peace upon her) stated:  `Ali (Peace upon him) moved his lips [and whispered something] and then hit the ground with his hand and said, ”What is the matter with you, be calm!”

The ground became calm.  People were more amazed at seeing the act of Imam `Ali than the earthquake.  Imam `Ali stated, “Were you surprised with what I did?”

The people said, “Yes.”

Imam `Ali (Peace upon him) stated, “I am that human being about whom Allah the most excellent and noble has stated: {When the earth is shaken with her (violent) shaking, And the earth brings forth her burdens, And man says: What has befallen her?} (Zilzāl, 1-4), I am the human being who asks the earth why it is shaking, what has happened? {On that day she shall tell her news, …}.  The ground will [then] inform me [of all its news].”

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
Post discussing Surah Al-Zilzal (Chapter 99, The Shaking or Earthquake) is moved to Theology Forum.

:salam:

I do not think this is reliable.

Firstly the surah obviously tends to refer to Yawm al Qiyama.

Then the verses meaning is not reflected here. The hadith seems to imply some people have control over the earth, while Quran says that it is the Lord that will have her speak. So to me when Amrillah is bound, nothing can change it.

Finally hadith does not tell what the earth revealed, nor what was seen amongst people of their good or bad deeds.

http://www.myemamali110.blogfa.com/post/21

translated by google translate

Earthquake in the time of Ali (as)
Ibn Babuyeh narrated from Hazrat Zahra, Salat Allah Ali, who said: During Abu Bakr and Omar, a severe earthquake occurred in Medina, so that the public was afraid and went to Abu Bakr and Omar. People observed that the two feared to go to the presence of Amir al-Momenin (PBUH), Ali (as), as well as the people came to him according to the presence of the Prophet.
Amir al-Momenin (AS) went home, Abu Bakr, Omar and the public at the back of the Prophet. The Prophet sat down on the ground, people gathered around him. The walls of Medina were like a cradle. Madinah grew up from their fears and raised their voices and shouting or causing us to cry. We have never seen such a earthquake.
His lips moved and landed with his hand and said: "Get peace and tranquility!" The earth was silenced by God's permission.
 People were surprised by the obedience of the land to Amir al-Moonid. Then the Prophet said: you were surprised that the earth is obeyed by my command, when I said to him? They said: either Ali or Amir Momenin.
The Prophet said: I am the one that the Lord says in the Qur'an: "And the ghost of the Fathers of the mullahs" I say to the earth, Tell me the events and the news that was done to you, and tell me the acts that the people have done on you. After that, the Prophet (sa) said: If this was the earthquakes that God had in the Zoroastrian Sura, the earth would give me news but this earthquake is not an earthquake ...!

Source: Interpretation of Borhan book4 Page 493 - 1001 Stories of Life Ali (AS) p. 311

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

زلزله در زمان علي عليه السلام

ابن بابويه از حضرت زهرا سلام الله عليها روايت كرده كه فرمود : در زمان ابوبكر و عمر، زلزله شديدي در مدينه رخ داد، به طوري كه عموم مردم ترسيدند و نزد ابوبكر و عمر رفتند . مردم مشاهده كردند آن دو نفر از شدت ترس به شتاب به حضور اميرالمومنين حضرت علي عليه السلام مي روند ، مردم هم به تبعيت آنها حضور آن حضرت رسيدند .

اميرالمومنين عليه السلام از منزل خارج شدند ، ابوبكر و عمر و عموم مردم در عقب آن حضرت رفتند . آن حضرت بر روي زمين نشست ، مردم هم در اطراف او نشستند . ديوار هاي مدينه مانند گهواره حركت ميكرد .اهل مدينه از شدت ترس صداهاي خود را بلند كرده و فرياد مي زدند يا علي به فرياد ما برس .هرگز چنين زمين لرزه اي نديده ايم.

لب هاي آن حضرت به حركت در آمد و با دست به زمين زد و فرمود: اي زمين آرام و قرار بگير. زمين به اذن خدا ساكت شد و قرار گرفت .

مردم از اطاعت زمين از اميرالمونين تعجب كردند . آنگاه حضرت فرمود : شما تعجب كرديد كه زمين مطيع امر من مي شود ، وقتي به او گفتم قرار بگير؟ عرض كردند : بلي يا اميرالمومنين .

حضرت فرمود : من همان كسي هستم كه خداوند در قرآن مي فرمايد :"و قال الانسان مالها " من به زمين ميگويم براي من حوادث و اخباري را كه بر تو انجام شد بيان كني و به من بگو اعمالي را كه مردم در روي تو بجا آوردند ، پس از آن حضرت فرمود : اگر اين همان زمين لرزه هايي بود كه خداوند در سوره ي زلزال مي فرمايد ، زمين به من اخبار خود را مي داد ولي اين زلزله آن زلزله نيست ...!

http://www.myemamali110.blogfa.com/post/21

http://www.ghadeer.org/Book/738/115276

منبع : تفسير برهان ج4 ص493 – 1001داستان از زندگي علي عليه السلام ص311

This is from the website of a brother I know. It seems like the verse is indeed referring to Imam Ali (as) @realizm @Ashvazdanghe. I am not so sure about his translation though, I'll check with him Inshallah.

Al Manaqib, Ibn Shahrashub al-Mazandarani, Volume three, Page 102

ar-Redha (as) said on the words of Allah: (79:7) followed by the subsequent one, he said; ‘When the earth would be in a tremor, it would be followed by the coming out of ‘The Walker’ (Al-Dabbat)’.

And he said regarding the Words of Allah (27:82) We shall Bring forth for them a Walker from the earth, he said (that is): ‘Ali Bin Abu Talib’

Tafsir al-Qummi, Ali bin Ibrahim al-Qummi

حدثني أبي عن ابن أبي عمير عن أبي بصير عن أبي عبد الله عليه السلام قال: انتهى رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله إلى أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام وهو نائم في المسجد قد جمع رملاً ووضع رأسه عليه فحركه برجله ثم قال له: قم يا دابة الله فقال رجل من أصحابه يا رسول الله أيسمى بعضنا بعضاً بهذا الاسم؟ فقال: لا والله ما هو إلا له خاصة وهو الدابة التي ذكر الله في كتابه { وإذا وقع القول عليهم أخرجنا لهم دابة من الأرض تكلمهم أن الناس كانوا بآياتنا لا يوقنون }.
It is narrated to me from my father, from Abi 'Umayr, from Abi Baseer, from Abi Abdillah (as) who said: Rasulullah (saw) came to Amirul Momineen (as) and he was sleeping in the masjid, so he collected sand and put his head on it, moved him and said to him: "Get up oh Walker (Dabbat) of Allah." So one man from his companions said: So he (Rasulullah (saw)) said: "No by Allah it is his exclusively and he is the Walker mentioned by Allah in his Book: (27:82) We shall Bring forth for them a walker from the earth.

@Mansur Bakhtiari @realizm @Ashvazdanghe

[Shakir 99:1] When the earth is shaken with her (violent) shaking,
[Pooya/Ali Commentary 99:1]

See commentary of Ghashiyah.

It refers to the uprooting which will take place when the present order of the world is destroyed and the new order of justice and truth begins in the spiritual hereafter. It will dissolve the material world as if it never existed.

وَأَخْرَجَتِ الْأَرْضُ أَثْقَالَهَا {2}

[Shakir 99:2] And the earth brings forth her burdens,
[Pooya/Ali Commentary 99:2] (see commentary for verse 1)

وَقَالَ الْإِنْسَانُ مَا لَهَا {3}

[Shakir 99:3] And man says: What has befallen her?
[Pooya/Ali Commentary 99:3]

As after the terrible disaster the day of judgement will begin, it will be so a far-reaching convulsion that no earthquake which has taken place before can even be compared to it. It only gives some idea of the world-shaking event. Having no idea of such a tremendous convulsion, consequences of which will be totally different from any convulsion experienced by man, he will not be able to make head or tail of it. He will be in a puzzled agony of total confusion.

يَوْمَئِذٍ تُحَدِّثُ أَخْبَارَهَا {4}

[Shakir 99:4] On that day she shall tell her news,
[Pooya/Ali Commentary 99:4]

The earth will divulge all the events that ever took place on her. The present order will pass away, but the deeds done therein, even the most secret, will be made known when Allah will give the command. See commentary of Nahl: 68 for the inspiration (wahi) or direction given to bees.

It is written in Minhajus Sadiqin that according to Fatimah Zahra one day an earthquake sent the people of Madina into a panic, and all of them along with Abu Bakr and Umar came to Ali. He took them outside the city and addressed them:

"The quaking of the earth has overwhelmed you with fright. What will you do when it will quake before the day of judgement?"

Then he put his hand on the earth and commanded it to cease quaking. It stopped to quake. He said:

"Do you wonder at what has happened? I am he to whom the earth will speak on the day of judgement," and recited surah al Zilzal.

hi yes even verse 33:33 that is called purification verse in shia view is mentioned about Prophet(pbu), Imam Ali (as), Lady Fatima (sa) ,Imam Hasan(as) ,Imam hussain (as) as all shia Imams (as) are from lineage of this five holy persons so it can  pointintg to them.  

On 16/11/2017 at 6:02 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

hi yes even verse 33:33 that is called purification verse in shia view is mentioned about Prophet(pbu), Imam Ali (as), Lady Fatima (sa) ,Imam Hasan(as) ,Imam hussain (as) as all shia Imams (as) are from lineage of this five holy persons so it can  pointintg to them.  

:salam:

I do not think you got my question right, I mean when Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى says "Yauma'ydhin tuhadithu akhbaraha", do He mean that the earth will reveal its secrets to one person like the hadith tends to tell ?

The public is for that will be last reason to people that Kaliph of Allah is on earth and no secret will be hidden all truth about every mystery revealed & there will be reason for accusing

Edited by Ashvazdanghe