Rate this topic

As salam aleykum my brothers and sisters in religion and in humanity.

I converted to the religion of Islam more than a month ago and I have encountered some difficulties with family members. My mother who I first told months prior to taking my shahada that I wanted to convert to the religion of Islam was at first very accepting of this idea but I believe she thought it was all just a phase. After I took my shahada she seemed disappointed that I had made such a move and I know her fear comes only from a place of love and concern but I want to show her that this was a positive thing and I will be better as a person in the long run due to this change. 

My father is a traditional Aussie bloke and although very accepting and kind to Muslims in person he is easily influenced by what is said on television. I asked my mother not to tell him or any of our extended family of this change because I am so scared of being treated differently by these people who I love and respect.

Any advice in showing my parents and extended family how its all gonna be OK? Any good talking points that I can use to help them accept this new change? 

1 hour ago, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

Any advice in showing my parents and extended family how its all gonna be OK? Any good talking points that I can use to help them accept this new change? 

Salaam brother, 

Your Akhlaaq (morals) will make the difference. Think of a habit that your parents despise in you and try and change that one. You can call or visit your near and distant relatives periodically. This is called as 'Silatur Rehem'. The duas (Supplications) by Ahlulbait (ams) are very powerful. Try and make them listen it's translation in a language which they understand. The life history of these holy individuals is another thing which you can narrate them when you get a chance. For surely, their Akhlaaq and way of life are lesson for everyone. 

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum

Sister SB explained beautifully how to make your relationship with your family easy Insh'Allah.

I would add to help them when you can.  Let them see there is a change in you, and by your actions they will see the beauty of this religion.  If they were to ask you what has changed, you can respond my religion tells me to be kind towards my parents.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

وقال ـ عليه السلام ـ :  كونوا لنا زينا ، ولا تكونوا علينا شينا

And said (Imam al Sadiq)(as): “Be for us(as) beautification, and do not be upon us(as) defect/shame.” 

Thank you for the answers you both have provided me. I have been actively trying to do more for both my parents. When my mother asks me why I am more obedient and helpful to her and others I often share with her that Islam promotes these ideals and values. When it comes to my father I’ll just try to be a better person for him and if he asks me directly one day whether or not I am a Muslim (because I think he has picked up on some of the new rules to live by for example no bacon, alchahol that I have been practicing) I’ll say yes and that is what has turned me into more pious young man who is respectful to everyone and everything. My mother shared with me her concern that I might “miss out” on being a young man and enjoy life but I told her I am experiencing my youth in a more humble way. Rather than going out drinking and fooling around with other Young people I have experienced a somewhat of enlightened feeling in which being closer to Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى has made me the happiest I have ever felt in a long while so it is not me who is missing out mother it is them. I think that helped her understand my happiness. Masha’Allah.