Sumerian

Qasam, ahd and nadhr

Rate this topic

It seems brothers and sisters seem to be confused regarding the seegha and kaffarah of these three terms and actions, and seem to jumble these up. 

Qasam

Issue 2679: If a person takes an oath that he will perform an act (e.g. that he will fast) or will refrain from doing an act (e.g. that he will not smoke), but does not intentionally act according to his oath, he should give Kaffarah for it, which means he should set a slave free, or should fully feed ten indigent persons, or should provide them with clothes. And if he is not able to perform these acts, he should fast for three consecutive days.

___

My commentary:

Example: saying "wallah" I will do "x". This is binding, if all the other conditions for validity are present. See here for conditions and rulings:

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-ali-al-husayni-al-sistani/vow-and-covenant#rules-regarding-oath-qasam

___

Nadhr

Issue 2649: * Vow means making it obligatory upon oneself to do some good act, or to refrain from doing an act which it is better not to do, for the sake of, or for the pleasure of Allah.

___

My commentary:

Example of the correct seegha: saying "lillahi alaya an ati bi salat al-layl" - that would be binding if all the other conditions are present. See here for more:

___

Ahd

Issue 2676: * When a person makes a covenant with Allah, that if his particular lawful need is fulfilled, he will perform a good act, it is necessary for him to fulfil the covenant. Similarly, if he makes a covenant without having any wish, that he will perform a good act, the performing of that act becomes obligatory upon him.

___

My commentary:

Example of correct seegha: "ahadtu Allah an ati bi Salat Al-Layl" or "alaya ahd Allah an ati bi Salat Al-Layl". That would be a valid ahd if all the other conditions are present. See more for conditions and rulings, here:

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-ali-al-husayni-al-sistani/vow-and-covenant#rules-regarding-oath-qasam

On 11/14/2017 at 4:16 AM, Sumerian said:

It is mentioned in the links.

The two links that you provided above do not mention the Arabic word seegha and people think seegha means marriage, so this word seegha needs to be explained. 

In the links, it mentions kaffarah but does not define what kaffarah means in English, just says you need to give kaffarah. Would you say that kaffarah means penalty or donation or something else? 

8 hours ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

The two links that you provided above do not mention the Arabic word seegha and people think seegha means marriage, so this word seegha needs to be explained. 

In the links, it mentions kaffarah but does not define what kaffarah means in English, just says you need to give kaffarah. Would you say that kaffarah means penalty or donation or something else? 

Seegha means the formula of pronounciation.

So what is to be said prior to commencing this action.

Kaffarah is best defined as atonement, in my opinion.

@Sumerian

Can someone perform Hajj or seek any other means to expiate their oaths? I would think not, and so are oaths immune to forgiveness unless Allah so wills, and if not they will be held against us on the day of judgement? 

33 minutes ago, Intellectual Resistance said:

@Sumerian

Can someone perform Hajj or seek any other means to expiate their oaths? I would think not, and so are oaths immune to forgiveness unless Allah so wills, and if not they will be held against us on the day of judgement? 

Not doing the kaffarah is a sin, and Hajj does not expiate it. 

We go by the literal teachings.

2 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

Not doing the kaffarah is a sin, and Hajj does not expiate it. 

We go by the literal teachings.

As in the sin of not doing the Kaffarah