crashproof

I said wallah I will not do something

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, Hassan- said:

The kaffaarah of breaking an oath is to feed 10 needy persons or provide them with clothing. If you cannot afford that, you have to keep 3 fasts.

Salam, Brother. Is this the same ruling for all of the Shia Ulema? 

12 hours ago, Hassan- said:

The kaffaarah of breaking an oath is to feed 10 needy persons or provide them with clothing. If you cannot afford that, you have to keep 3 fasts.

Breaking oath is not the same as saying wallah and lying. I asked Narsis and he said no kaffarah is wajib.

15 hours ago, silasun said:

Breaking oath is not the same as saying wallah and lying. I asked Narsis and he said no kaffarah is wajib.

He didn't say wallah and "lie" (like saying wallah my car is red, when it is blue, for example), he said wallah for the sake of doing or not doing something and that is qasam (oath). 

Here:

2679. If a person takes an oath that he will perform an act (e.g. that he will fast) or will refrain from doing an act (e.g. that he will not smoke), but does not intentionally act according to his oath, he should give Kaffarah for it, which means he should set a slave free, or should fully feed ten indigent persons, or should provide them with clothes. And if he is not able to perform these acts, he should fast for three consecutive days.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2380/

2 hours ago, crashproof said:

@Hassan- @silasun @E.L King @Hameedeh

And I said if I do this take me to hell.

and then I did it

will I go to hell?

really worried.

You cant make such an oath, reverse that to heaven and to swear an oath that you will abstain from doing "something" sinful, and lets say you did abstain from doing that sinful "something"

Will God raise you onto heaven then? obvious answer and the correct answer is no.

however, breaking an oath is a different matter, also important to keep in mind, you are not in position to cast judgement on your actions, you dont get to make the call whether you go to hell or heaven based on an action or actions.

That is for the best Judge of all judges to decide.

Regards, Moses

3 hours ago, crashproof said:

and then I did it

will I go to hell?

really worried.

Such an oath has no meaning. Allah has promised that he will forgive sinners who sincerely repent.

The other issue is if you need to pay kafarah (which is to feed 10 poor people or fast 10 days). Basically, there is a particular wording for an oath to be valid. That is you need to say لله عليَّ (For Allah on me) I will not do such and such. It will not suffice merely to say "my oath to Allah is I will not do x" - that is not considered a valid oath according to Ayatollah Sistani.

So think back to what you said when you made the oath. Does it fall within this category according to Ayatollah Sistani? :-

* Should the person making the vow not say, “I am indebted to Allah, God, or the Merciful (ar-Rahman)”, what will happen?
- There shall be no obligation to fulfil the vow.

Source: https://www.sistani.org/english/book/49/2416/

If you doubt whether or not you made a valid oath then you can consider the oath to not be valid. This is because in Islamic law, in this situation, the burden of proof lies on showing that you made a valid oath.

------

@Hameedeh It was a long time ago that I asked him. He doesn't have a problem either way.

2 hours ago, silasun said:

Such an oath has no meaning. Allah has promised that he will forgive sinners who sincerely repent.

The other issue is if you need to pay kafarah (which is to feed 10 poor people or fast 10 days). Basically, there is a particular wording for an oath to be valid. That is you need to say لله عليَّ (For Allah on me) I will not do such and such. It will not suffice merely to say "my oath to Allah is I will not do x" - that is not considered a valid oath according to Ayatollah Sistani.

So think back to what you said when you made the oath. Does it fall within this category according to Ayatollah Sistani? :-

* Should the person making the vow not say, “I am indebted to Allah, God, or the Merciful (ar-Rahman)”, what will happen?
- There shall be no obligation to fulfil the vow.

Source: https://www.sistani.org/english/book/49/2416/

If you doubt whether or not you made a valid oath then you can consider the oath to not be valid. This is because in Islamic law, in this situation, the burden of proof lies on showing that you made a valid oath.

Brother, you are making confusions. Qasam/Yameen (oath) and nadhr (vow/pledge) and ahd (covenant) are different things.

The seegha for qasam is simply saying "wallah" I will do this or not do this. And this is binding, and negation of it obligates kaffarah.

4 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Alhamdulillah for the news about Narsis, but did he give permission to mention his name in this topic?

The brother Silasun has confused ahd with qasam. The OP needs to do kaffarah. And this is probably what brother Narsis was talking about.

6 hours ago, crashproof said:

and then I did it

will I go to hell?

really worried.

If you repent and do your kaffarah, then Allah will forgive you insha Allah.

Edited by E.L King

Salam Alaikum @E.L King

Interesting. First of all I understood their post to be about lying. Then I mentioned about the oath (nadhr) because what I mentioned is the valid seeghah for a nadhr. I didn't take into account the issue of a qasam.

I hope @crashproof is not confused. It seems that I might have misunderstood the situation