Guest Um Adam

Widow remarriage

Rate this question

Question

Guest Um Adam

Good afternoon. I need advice. My husband God rest his soul died 10 months ago and I observed the Idda, Alhmadoollah. My question is, now that the Idda has passed, should I remove and change the bedroom furniture, belongings and photos of my deceased husband?

4 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Guest Um Adam said:

Good afternoon. I need advice. My husband God rest his soul died 10 months ago and I observed the Idda, Alhmadoollah. My question is, now that the Idda has passed, should I remove and change the bedroom furniture, belongings and photos of my deceased husband?

My sincere condolences to you. Do you have children? If your children are small, you should keep something from their father to give them when they get older. If they are old enough to help you look at the clothes in the closet, they might want to keep one of his shirts or hats, but pack up the rest of his clothing, shoes and belts and give them to a charity so that other men who need them can benefit from this.

If he has jewelry you can keep something for yourself such as his wedding ring, if you want, and offer the remaining items to the children or other relatives or if you have a financial problem you can sell them, of course a buyer would not pay you very much. If he has any special books, you can keep them until you decide if you or the children or a relative could use them or give them away. 

About the photos of your deceased husband, if you have children don't remove his photos. They need to remember him. If you are alone and his picture gives you heartache, then you can put the photos away. 

2 hours ago, Shah Khan said:

According to our Hanafi Madhab, keeping things would be Makrooh but not haram. If a Widow Remarries, then it would be Haram for her to keep things of her deceased Husband.

Salam. Welcome to ShiaChat. Normally when you see someone ask a question, they want an answer from a Shia perspective. Please do not answer Shia questions with a Hanafi ruling. 

[Mod Note: This reply is not from a Shia perspective.] 

According to our Hanafi Madhab, keeping things would be Makrooh but not haram. If a Widow Remarries, then it would be Haram for her to keep things of her deceased Husband.

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.