Shogun

Am I allowed to follow a deceased Marja?

Rate this topic

31 minutes ago, Shogun said:

Do I have to follow them or is it enough that I refer to one of their rulings? The ruling states that all I need to do is go back to the opinion of the living religious authority. 

A: It is permissible for he who has not emulated His Eminence, Sayyed Fadlullah (ra), before his death to start to emulate him after his death by going back to the opinion of the living religious authority who meets all the required conditions [for emulation] and deems it permissible to start to emulate a religious authority after his death; and such a religious authority does exist.

Thank You

If the opinion of the living most qualified marja allows you to follow a dead marja, then you can follow him.

But most maraja don't seem to allow following dead marjas to begin with, only if you followed him before he died.

8 minutes ago, E.L King said:

If the opinion of the living most qualified marja allows you to follow a dead marja, then you can follow him.

But most maraja don't seem to allow following dead marjas to begin with, only if you followed him before he died.

Sayyed Muhammad Hussein Fadlullah (ra) doesn't say that the marja has to be the living most qualified marja? He says that all I need is a fatwa from a marja stating that he allows the following of a deceased marja. Even though most don't allow Taqlid to a deceased marja their are a few who allow it.

Thank You

Is there a way i could do taqleed on sayyed fadhlullah even though he passed away?

It is permissible to emulate the late marja’ Fadlallah after his death by going back to a fatwa of a living marja’ that deems amulating a dead marja’ right from the start including H. E. Muhammad Ibrahim Al-Jinati

http://english.bayynat.org/readers_mail/

Salam.
Can a beginer start by emulating late Ayatollah Fadhalullah(qs), if not، is their any living marja'i who allow his emulators to used late Fadhalullah(q.s) fatwa?

A1: This is permissible by referring to the Fatwa of a living religious authority who deems starting emulation by emulating a dead religious authority permissible, such as Sheikh Muhammad Ibrahim Al-Jannati.

http://english.bayynat.org.lb/readers_mail/readers16.htm

Q: Is it permissible for he who has never emulated the late Sayyed Fadlullah (ra) before his death to start to emulate him after his death?

A: It is permissible for he who has not emulated His Eminence, Sayyed Fadlullah (ra), before his death to start to emulate him after his death by going back to the opinion of the living religious authority who meets all the required conditions [for emulation] and deems it permissible to start to emulate a religious authority after his death; and such a religious authority does exist.

http://english.bayynat.org.lb/FAQ/FAQ_EmulationAfterDeath.htm

Edited by Shogun

I couldn't find Sh. Jannati's fatwa on the permissibility of following a deceased Marja.

Honestly,  none of these three scholars, as respected and honored as they are, are candidates of the most knowledgeable in comparison to their contemporaries, let alone to the history of Shia scholarship.

6 hours ago, Shogun said:

Sayyed Muhammad Hussein Fadlullah (ra) doesn't say that the marja has to be the living most qualified marja? He says that all I need is a fatwa from a marja stating that he allows the following of a deceased marja. Even though most don't allow Taqlid to a deceased marja their are a few who allow it.

Thank You

Is there a way i could do taqleed on sayyed fadhlullah even though he passed away?

It is permissible to emulate the late marja’ Fadlallah after his death by going back to a fatwa of a living marja’ that deems amulating a dead marja’ right from the start including H. E. Muhammad Ibrahim Al-Jinati

http://english.bayynat.org/readers_mail/

Salam.
Can a beginer start by emulating late Ayatollah Fadhalullah(qs), if not، is their any living marja'i who allow his emulators to used late Fadhalullah(q.s) fatwa?

A1: This is permissible by referring to the Fatwa of a living religious authority who deems starting emulation by emulating a dead religious authority permissible, such as Sheikh Muhammad Ibrahim Al-Jannati.

http://english.bayynat.org.lb/readers_mail/readers16.htm

Q: Is it permissible for he who has never emulated the late Sayyed Fadlullah (ra) before his death to start to emulate him after his death?

Well you can refer to Jannati, but most maraja have a'lamiyya as a condition for taqleed - if he does not have it as a conditon.

Bismillah

Before performing taqlid of Sayed Fadlallah, you would need to prove that the living scholar who allows taqlid of dead scholars (in this case Sh. Janati or Ayatollah Haydari) is the most knowledgeable marja' of the current time (or at least that he is of a group who are the most knowledgeable, but it is not clear who in that group is the most knowledgeable).

I don't know of any way that you can prove that those two scholars are the most knowledgeable of this time. Their needs to be a process of peer review before you can reach that conclusion. Jami al-Modarressin came up with a list of 6 who are scholars who one can follow and be relieved of their duties to God (they are the 4 I mention at the end plus Ayatollahs Gulpaygani and Zanjani).

I would suggest that you look into the following scholars who have accessible English rulings (particularly the last three, due to ease of access):

Ayatollah Waheed

Ayatollah Khamenei

Ayatollah Sistani

Ayatollah Makarem

8 hours ago, silasun said:

Before performing taqlid of Sayed Fadlallah, you would need to prove that the living scholar who allows taqlid of dead scholars (in this case Sh. Janati or Ayatollah Haydari) is the most knowledgeable marja' of the current time (or at least that he is of a group who are the most knowledgeable

Why would I need to prove that the living scholar who allows taqlid of dead scholars (in this case Sh. Janati or Ayatollah Haydari) is the most knowledgeable marja' of the current time? That is not mentioned in Sayed Fadlallah rulling. All he says is I have to find someone who meets all the required conditions for emulation and deems it permissible to emulate a religious authority after his death.

Thank You

Edited by Shogun

19 hours ago, Shogun said:

Some scholars may not have a'lamiyya as a conditon, so if you find a scholar who doesn't, and who allows you then to follow Sayyed Fadlallah, then you are technically allowed to do taqleed to him.

But right now you are not following Sayyed Fadlallah, so it is like a person who is muqallid to no one. Once you find a marja who allows you to follow Sayyed Fadlallah, you may.

In the same fatwa you are quoting, Sayyed Fadlallah says: by going back to the opinion of the living religious authority who meets all the required conditions [for emulation] - and so a'lamiyya may be a "required condition for emulation". 

23 hours ago, E.L King said:

Some scholars may not have a'lamiyya as a conditon, so if you find a scholar who doesn't, and who allows you then to follow Sayyed Fadlallah, then you are technically allowed to do taqleed to him.

But right now you are not following Sayyed Fadlallah, so it is like a person who is muqallid to no one. Once you find a marja who allows you to follow Sayyed Fadlallah, you may.

In the same fatwa you are quoting, Sayyed Fadlallah says: by going back to the opinion of the living religious authority who meets all the required conditions [for emulation] - and so a'lamiyya may be a "required condition for emulation". 

Salam.

According to Ayatollah Jannaati the Mujtahid doesn't have to be the most knowledgeable, and he also allows to begin Taqlid of a deceased Marja. So he is technically allowed to emulate Sayyed Fadlallah if he initially does Taqlid of Jannaati?

4 hours ago, ss99 said:

Salam.

According to Ayatollah Jannaati the Mujtahid doesn't have to be the most knowledgeable, and he also allows to begin Taqlid of a deceased Marja. So he is technically allowed to emulate Sayyed Fadlallah if he initially does Taqlid of Jannaati?

Yes, it seems so. But does Sayyed Fadlallah also say a'lamiyya is not a condition?

3 hours ago, E.L King said:

Yes, it seems so. But does Sayyed Fadlallah also say a'lamiyya is not a condition?

Yes, in fact he does. Check here his fatwas about Taqlid: http://english.bayynat.org.lb/Fatawa/ijtihad.htm

5. Suppose there were many jurists around. Is it permissible to emulate any of them, or does it have to be the most learned among them?
A. It is not obligatory to emulate the most knowledgeable. It suffices to follow any one of them, provided that he is a practicing mujtahid as has been discussed.

So he could not emulate Sayyed Fadlallah if a'lamiyya were a condition for him, regardless what Ayatollah Jannaati says (assuming he changes his Taqlid to Ayatollah Jannaati first)? I'm still trying to understand the rules about Taqlid.

9 hours ago, ss99 said:

Yes, in fact he does. Check here his fatwas about Taqlid: http://english.bayynat.org.lb/Fatawa/ijtihad.htm

5. Suppose there were many jurists around. Is it permissible to emulate any of them, or does it have to be the most learned among them?
A. It is not obligatory to emulate the most knowledgeable. It suffices to follow any one of them, provided that he is a practicing mujtahid as has been discussed.

So he could not emulate Sayyed Fadlallah if a'lamiyya were a condition for him, regardless what Ayatollah Jannaati says (assuming he changes his Taqlid to Ayatollah Jannaati first)? I'm still trying to understand the rules about Taqlid.

Then it is technically permissible for him to emulate Jannati then refer to Fadlallah if they are both mujtahids.

Yes, if a'lamiyya was a condition, then he would not be able to follow him until it is proven he is a'lam.