Jump to content
islam25

why Shias are less in number compared to Sunni

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

We know that division amongst Muslims started just after the departure of Prophet saww from this world to Allah. And there wasn't clear cut distinction between Sunnis and shias during the the time of ist four kaliphs. But gradully the distinction widened to the extent of emergence of two major sects. Apparently there should be near equal population in two sects.But why there is gross difference in number between two sects. And why conversation from non muslim to Shia muslim is less than to Sunni Muslims. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shia have been slaughtered mercilessly for generations. As a result we have been withered down to around 10-12% of all Muslims. I doubt anyone has the full statistics handy of how much Shia blood has been spilled over the centuries but its been at or near genocidal levels.

Naturally, when one sect asserts such unchecked hatred on another then they will eventually become the dominant sect in all aspects (i.e. Conversion ratio).

A more apt statistic to consider might be how many Shia reverts do we have to Sunni reverts and see the proportionate rate. I don't have that info but I would be curious to know how many Shia reverts we have compared to Sunni reverts divided by the total number of each sect. Perhaps the Shia reverts ratio is higher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Akbar673 said:

Shia have been slaughtered mercilessly for generations. As a result we have been withered down to around 10-12% of all Muslims. I doubt anyone has the full statistics handy of how much Shia blood has been spilled over the centuries but its been at or near genocidal levels.

Naturally, when one sect asserts such unchecked hatred on another then they will eventually become the dominant sect in all aspects (i.e. Conversion ratio).

A more apt statistic to consider might be how many Shia reverts do we have to Sunni reverts and see the proportionate rate. I don't have that info but I would be curious to know how many Shia reverts we have compared to Sunni reverts divided by the total number of each sect. Perhaps the Shia reverts ratio is higher?

Why Shias couldn't defend themselves. 

Why Shias today are unable propagate their religion to nonMuslims .so that non Muslims would convert to Shia muslim than to Sunni or wahhaby muslim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2017 at 11:16 AM, islam25 said:

Apparently there should be near equal population in two sects.But why there is gross difference in number between two sects. And why conversation from non muslim to Shia muslim is less than to Sunni Muslims. 

Brother you have mentioned two assumptions

1. The Shia were slaughtered during the days of ummayad and they were also killed by  the subsequent rulers in history. If our 11 imams out of 12 were martyred by rulers how do you expect that their followers should be in same proportions as that of others? This is an incorrect assumption.

2.   Normally i t is considered that rate of Shia reverts is more than that of sunni reverts to Islam.  Although i do not find any statistics presently.  But in general it happens that some non-muslim carries out his research and accepts Islam as religion comes first to Sunni Islam. But afterward when he gets  information and literature  about Shia Islam then he / she may come  to it as shia reverts. Normally it may take time like few years. Many examples of shia reverts can be found at SC. The link of relevant thread is given below:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2017 at 12:23 PM, skyweb1987 said:

Brother you have mentioned two assumptions

1. The Shia were slaughtered during the days of ummayad and they were also killed by  the subsequent rulers in history. If our 11 imams out of 12 were martyred by rulers how do you expect that their followers should be in same proportions as that of others? This is an incorrect assumption.

2.   Normally i t is considered that rate of Shia reverts is more than that of sunni reverts to Islam.  Although i do not find any statistics presently.  But in general it happens that some non-muslim carries out his research and accepts Islam as religion comes first to Sunni Islam. But afterward when he gets  information and literature  about Shia Islam then he / she may come  to it as shia reverts. Normally it may take time like few years. Many examples of shia reverts can be found at SC. The link of relevant thread is given below:

Even if tens and scores of non muslim who convert to Sunni then Shia is much less than total conversion from non-muslim to Sunni . 

And just like thousands of non Muslims convert to Sunni Islam. 

Why don't thousands of non muslim convert to Shia Islam. 

Does it mean our doctrine is less appealing or our invitation is ineffective or something else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salaam Alaykum

Actually this is a good question. As I was reading your post, this verse of Quran came to my mind:" و قلیلا ما یؤمنون". 

The reason that our brother @Akbar673 mentioned is true. Shia Muslims have become slaughtered a lot throughout history.

The second reason is that to be honest Sunni Muslims are more active than Shias on converting other people. We have to work on ourselves.

Marriage is another reason. I heard that Sunnis go to mosques for marriage and it's something normal among them. We have fewer number of Shia mosques like this which is not good. If we look at prophet and Amiralmuminin they did a lot of Nikah in mosques.

Sunni Muslims usually do polygamy and it's OK among them(It's OK Islamically as well), but Shias look different.

Number of children is another reason that makes Sunni Muslims larger in population.

Another thing is psychological reasons. When a non-muslim looks at Islam, he/she mostly see Sunni Muslims. This makes him/her to believe that Sunni is correct and he/she should follow that. This larger population brings an impression to converts that they also want to be Sunni. Few non-muslims decide to follow Shiite because he/she sees larger population in the other sect. They are also Muslim and they are talking about Allah and Mohammad. This is the effect of larger population.

This larger population brings larger number of websites, YouTube videos, forums etc. All of these lead to even larger population in future.

Number of mosques in western countries is another reason. When I was back in Florida, I used to ride my bike one hour to go to the only shia mosque in Jacksonville, but there was a Sunni mosque ten mins away from my home. In my current city there is only one mosque and it's Sunni mosque. I heard that sunni students go there to find wife while shia students are still single. Obviously, it brings more population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2017 at 12:33 PM, islam25 said:

Even if tens and scores of non muslim who convert to Sunni then Shia is much less than total conversion from non-muslim to Sunni . 

And just like thousands of non Muslims convert to Sunni Islam. 

Why don't thousands of non muslim convert to Shia Islam. 

Does it mean our doctrine is less appealing or our invitation is ineffective or something else. 

Christians are more in numbers than the msulims, Do you consider that  being in majority many times than muslims population means they are followers of the true path  so less in numbers are converted as muslims?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2017 at 12:34 PM, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

Salaam Alaykum

Actually this is a good question. As I was reading your post, this verse of Quran came to my mind:" و قلیلا ما یؤمنون". 

The reason that our brother @Akbar673 mentioned is true. Shia Muslims have become slaughtered a lot throughout history.

The second reason is that to be honest Sunni Muslims are more active than Shias on converting other people. We have to work on ourselves.

Marriage is another reason. I heard that Sunnis go to mosques for marriage and it's something normal among them. We have fewer number of Shia mosques like this which is not good. If we look at prophet and Amiralmuminin they did a lot of Nikah in mosques.

Sunni Muslims usually do polygamy and it's OK among them(It's OK Islamically as well), but Shias look different.

Number of children is another reason that makes Sunni Muslims larger in population.

Another thing is psychological reasons. When a non-muslim looks at Islam, he/she mostly see Sunni Muslims. This makes him/her to believe that Sunni is correct and he/she should follow that. This larger population brings an impression to converts that they also want to be Sunni. Few non-muslims decide to follow Shiite because he/she sees larger population in the other sect. They are also Muslim and they are talking about Allah and Mohammad. This is the effect of larger population.

This larger population brings larger number of websites, YouTube videos, forums etc. All of these lead to even larger population in future.

Number of mosques in western countries is another reason. When I was back in Florida, I used to ride my bike one hour to go to the only shia mosque in Jacksonville, but there was a Sunni mosque ten mins away from my home.

Brother you have rightly answered and highlighted main reasons. Why do not there is well organised dawah centers or organisation  from Shia to nonMuslims. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skyweb1987 said:

Christians are more in numbers than the msulims, Do you consider that  being in majority many times than muslims population means they are followers of the true path  so less in numbers are converted as muslims?

That is not correct answer. Question is who is on true path. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, islam25 said:

We know that division amongst Muslims started just after the departure of Prophet saww from this world to Allah. And there wasn't clear cut distinction between Sunnis and shias during the the time of ist four kaliphs. But gradully the distinction widened to the extent of emergence of two major sects. Apparently there should be near equal population in two sects.But why there is gross difference in number between two sects. And why conversation from non muslim to Shia muslim is less than to Sunni Muslims. 

1. Shias did not remain in power to introduce their religion until 16th Century when one of the Persian King took it as objective to propagate the teachings of this religion. So, from 623 till 16th Century most of the area in the Arabian Peninsula and Middle East was governed by the anti-Shia people most of the time.

2. In the beginning of the Caliphate, foreign people thought Abu Bakar to be the real Caliph due to their unawareness regarding civilian instability and all the people in the Arabia regarded Shias as enemy of the Muslims state number one as is now whole of the West considers Islam to be against humanity.

3. Finally, the so called Muslim leaders left no stone unturned in calling Shias to be heretics and Kufar to the extent that they were driven from their areas and many were killed and thus world thought that sitting Caliph is the representative of majority view, therefore, they thought Shias to be a group that has revolted due to political issues but it was not political issue rather religious ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2017 at 12:46 PM, Sindbad05 said:

1. Shias did not remain in power to introduce their religion until 16th Century when one of the Persian King took it as objective to propagate the teachings of this religion. So, from 623 till 16th Century most of the area in the Arabian Peninsula and Middle East was governed by the anti-Shia people most of the time.

2. In the beginning of the Caliphate, foreign people thought Abu Bakar to be the real Caliph due to their unawareness regarding civilian instability and all the people in the Arabia regarded Shias as enemy of the Muslims state number one as is now whole of the West considers Islam to be against humanity.

3. Finally, the so called Muslim leaders left no stone unturned in calling Shias to be heretics and Kufar to the extent that they were driven from their areas and many were killed and thus world thought that sitting Caliph is the representative of majority view, therefore, they thought Shias to be a group that has revolted due to political issues but it was not political issue rather religious ones. 

You have rightly mentioned the causes. 

But why today Shia do not have effective dawah system and centres to invite non-muslim towards true Islam just like sunnis and particularly wahhabies have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, islam25 said:

You have rightly mentioned the causes. 

But why today Shia do not have effective dawah system and centres to invite non-muslim towards true Islam. 

Islam has various sects now, it has become like finding diamnond from the coal mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sindbad05 said:

Islam has various sects now, it has become like finding diamnond from the coal mine.

That means those who rightly present Islam can attract more non-muslims towards their sect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, islam25 said:

That means those who rightly present Islam can attract more non-muslims towards their sect. 

It depends upon both things, but much more important is the interest of the person who is seeking truth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, islam25 said:

Why Shias couldn't defend themselves.  

How do unarmed civilians who are only concerned with protecting their families defend themselves from armed and trained Govt. military soldiers? How does an unarmed man stop a swinging sword? 

38 minutes ago, islam25 said:

Why Shias today are unable propagate their religion to nonMuslims .so that non Muslims would convert to Shia muslim than to Sunni or wahhaby muslim.

Are Shia not propogating? I think they are just fine.

Sunni are being funded by Saudi with their own ulterior nefarious reasons behind  it and belive me those reasons are not for spreading the deen of Muhammad (PBUH). Their political and economical greed is the true reasons behind their "propogating" of Islam.

Shia are spreading the deen of Muhammad (PBUH) with clean intentions. Just becuase we aren't pouring billions into what passes for "dawah" the way the Wahabbis are doesn't mean Shia aren't doing what they can to spread Islam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Akbar673 said:

How do unarmed civilians who are only concerned with protecting their families defend themselves from armed and trained Govt. military soldiers? How does an unarmed man stop a swinging sword? 

Are Shia not propogating? I think they are just fine.

Sunni are being funded by Saudi with their own ulterior nefarious reasons behind  it and belive me those reasons are not for spreading the deen of Muhammad (PBUH). Their political and economical greed is the true reasons behind their "propogating" of Islam.

Shia are spreading the deen of Muhammad (PBUH) with clean intentions. Just becuase we aren't pouring billions into what passes for "dawah" the way the Wahabbis are doesn't mean Shia aren't doing what they can to spread Islam.

If Sunnis have ulterior motives in spreading their version of islam. 

That never means Shias should give dawah at large scale like sunnis do. 

Yes if you have pure water and you will make it easily available all will get attracted to it.

But yes if we keep it concealed nonMuslims will go for alternative sources .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sindbad05 said:

It depends upon both things, but much more important is the interest of the person who is seeking truth. 

Every one is seeking truth. They see it in Islam that is available easily. 

If we will keep our version of islam easily accessible to nonMuslims definitely they turn to us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shias have been killed in almost every century. They didn't had power or media for most of this 1400 years then the concept of taqaiyah, pretty less dawah or preachings for their sect and an unmatched hatred propagated against them. Still it's astounding to know we have survived rather we are thriving.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, islam25 said:

We know that division amongst Muslims started just after the departure of Prophet saww from this world to Allah. And there wasn't clear cut distinction between Sunnis and shias during the the time of ist four kaliphs. But gradully the distinction widened to the extent of emergence of two major sects. Apparently there should be near equal population in two sects.But why there is gross difference in number between two sects. And why conversation from non muslim to Shia muslim is less than to Sunni Muslims. 

Shia genocide.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, islam25 said:

If Sunnis have ulterior motives in spreading their version of islam. 

That never means Shias should give dawah at large scale like sunnis do. 

Yes if you have pure water and you will make it easily available all will get attracted to it.

But yes if we keep it concealed nonMuslims will go for alternative sources .

when you're only 10-12% of Islam there's only so much you can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, islam25 said:

Every one is seeking truth. They see it in Islam that is available easily. 

If we will keep our version of islam easily accessible to nonMuslims definitely they turn to us. 

Yes, and everyone in the Muslim world is trying his best to convey the message. 

5 minutes ago, monad said:

because all the guys are on SC looking for a wife. Someone tell them, they do not exist online, we might then get a population increase. :hahaha:

Except me bro. I am not looking for wife, I am looking towards my Mom to have mercy upon my poor soul instead and get me married. :hahaha: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recent Posts on ShiaChat!

    • First Tesla in Iran https://financialtribune.com/articles/economy-auto/66088/a-tesla-in-iran-first-driverless-car-experience   http://en.tehran.ir/default.aspx?tabid=77&ArticleId=7728  
    • Yes Brother, the words "haqq" as well as  "meezan" 
      اللَّهُ الَّذِي أَنزَلَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ وَالْمِيزَانَ وَمَا يُدْرِيكَ لَعَلَّ السَّاعَةَ قَرِيبٌ
      Allah it is Who revealed the Book with truth, and the balance, and what shall make you know that haply the hour be nigh? (42:17)


      لَقَدْ أَرْسَلْنَا رُسُلَنَا بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ وَأَنزَلْنَا مَعَهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْمِيزَانَ لِيَقُومَ النَّاسُ بِالْقِسْطِ
      Certainly We sent Our apostles with clear arguments, and sent down with them the Book and the balance that men may conduct themselves with equity; (57:25)

      But the verses of Chapter 43 always remain in my sight.

      إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَاهُ قُرْآنًا عَرَبِيًّا لَّعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ وَإِنَّهُ فِي أُمِّ الْكِتَابِ لَدَيْنَا لَعَلِيٌّ حَكِيمٌ

      Surely We have made it an Arabic Quran that you may understand. And surely it is in the original of the Book with Us, truly elevated, full of wisdom. (43:3-4)

      Again, I dont want to do tafseer bir-raye, just recite these verses & takes the taste of phrase "La-Aliyyun Hakeem". 

      This is the level of Quran with Allah, I know one more "Aliyyun Hakeem"...  a person whose name is "Ali" and he is also a "Hakeem".

       
    • «ظَهَرَ ٱلْفَسَادُ فِي ٱلْبَرِّ وَٱلْبَحْرِ ¨ahara alfas¡du filbarri walba¦ri “Corruption has appeared in the land and the sea بِمَا كَسَبَتْ ايْدِي ٱلنَّاسِ.» bim¡ kasabat ayd¢ alnn¡si on account of what the hands of men have wrought.” فَاظْهِرِ ٱللَّهُمَّ لَنَا وَلِيَّكَ fa'a¨hir all¡humma lan¡ waliyyaka So, O Allah, (please) show us Your vicegerent,   http://www.duas.org/ahad.htm
    • Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5108651/American-mercenaries-torturing-Saudi-princes.html#ixzz4zFCVug9P 
        This may or may not be true. But I think it does make sense that the initial round-up of the billionaires was done by a foreign agency and not Saudis. The simple reason being that if Saudis had been involved someone would have tipped off the currents guests of the Carlton Ritz. IMHO.
    • We human beings are open systems, we need continuous interaction with environment to survive. The environment of space is not suitable for us, hence it seems impossible that we would evolve such organs which help us to survive up there. We are built to live on earth, that is the truth, we must remember that fact. And we should also remember the fact that everything has a fate, including this whole universe. So if we start planning to leave earth now, we would need to plan to leave the milky way galaxy afterwards.... 

        
×