Jump to content
  • 0
Guest Zainab

Surah Yusuf

Rate this question

Question

Guest Zainab

I have heard somewhere that there is a hadith narrating that girls shoukd not read tafseer of Surah Yusuf

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
Spelling in the title was fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
7 hours ago, Guest Zainab said:

I have heard somewhere that there is a hadith narrating that girls shoukd not read tafseer of Surah Yusuf

'Ali Ibn Abi Talib (AS) is reported to have said: "Do not teach your women Surah Yusuf nor let them recite it because there are temptations in it. Teach them Surah Nur because there are spiritual advices in it .

From Nur ath-Thaqalain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

'Ali Ibn Abi Talib (AS) is reported to have said: "Do not teach your women Surah Yusuf nor let them recite it because there are temptations in it. Teach them Surah Nur because there are spiritual advices in it .

From Nur ath-Thaqalain

Who reported it? Doesn't sound quite right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Who reported it? Doesn't sound quite right.

Found this from al-Kafi.

 ١٤١٨٥] ١ - الكليني، عن علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن النوفلي، عن السكوني، عن أبي عبد الله (عليه السلام) قال: قال رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم): لا تنزلوا النساء بالغرف ولا تعلموهن الكتابة وعلموهن المغزل وسورة النور (٣

الرواية معتبرة الإسناد

٣) الكافي: ٥ / ٥١٦ ح ١

[14185] 1- Al Kulaini, from Ali b. Ibrahim, from his father, from al Nofali,from al Sakooni, from abi Abdullah (as) who said: "Do not let the women come down the rooms and do not teach them to write, while teach them the spindle/spinning wheel and surah noor.

Though I wonder if Khadija, Fatima, Zaynab, Sakeena (peace be upon them) memorized/recited all of the Quran.... And why no maraji have fatwa's on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
58 minutes ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Though I wonder if Khadija, Fatima, Zaynab, Sakeena (peace be upon them) memorized/recited all of the Quran.... And why no maraji have fatwa's on this.

If it contradicts the Quran and the teachings of the Ahlulbayt (as), don't accept the hadith. There is no reason why a woman shouldn't be reading Surah Yusuf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 minutes ago, E.L King said:

I believe the hadith is directed at teaching the tafseer of Surat Yusuf, rather than reciting it.

Some scholars seem to have approved it. 

Have any scholars prohibited reciting Surah Yusuf?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
31 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Why is the tafsir of Surah Yusuf prohibited to women? 

 

58 minutes ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Have any scholars prohibited reciting Surah Yusuf?

I haven't seen anyone prohibit it, they discourage it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

There is a hadith by the Holy Prophet SA not to teach Surah Yusuf to girls:

Quote

"And if the child is female then it is her right that she . . . should be taught the surah of ` Light' and she should not be taught the surah of Yusuf and should not be allowed to go on the roof or windows".....[book author's commentary: the girls should be given such an education which makes them the “Light of the Home” not a “Decoration of Public places.”]

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-family-life-sayyid-akhtar-rizvi/parents-and-children

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
47 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

There is a hadith by the Holy Prophet SA not to teach Surah Yusuf to girls:

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-family-life-sayyid-akhtar-rizvi/parents-and-children

 "Our readers should note that even a part of the Qur'an (i.e., Surah of Yusuf) is not permitted to girls to learn because it contains the references to the love of Zulaykha towards Prophet Yusuf (a.s.). Seeing this restriction, those Muslims who allow their children (and especially girls) to read sexy novels, visit cinemas where they are practically taught all kinds of obscene thoughts and deeds should be ashamed of their irresponsible behaviour. Such parents should be ashamed of themselves, if they have an iota of Islamic feelings left in their hearts."

^This still doesn't seem right or Islamic. The Quran is not a sexy novel, it is guidance from Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى and for all of mankind. The author should be ashamed for thinking and writing that people will be misguided into perversion for reading the Message sent by Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى

As for the hadith, it is legit? Who reported it? Where's the isnad? I am really skeptical now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Concise answer
The subject of question has been raised in narrative sources, such as these narratives: 
( 1) Imam Ali (AS) said: "Do not teach the surah of Yusuf to your women." [1] Imam Ali (AS) said: "Do not teach Surah Yusuf to your women. ..; in that the seditions are the story of love and love. Learn them as Sura Light, full of preaching and preaching. 
2. "Qa'ul Abdullah (a) is the la Tanzlvav al-Nassa al-Ghafr and the teaching of the standard and the teachings of the son of Yusuf and Al-Muhun al-Moghzel and Al-Nur"; [2] Imam Sadiq (a) said: 
Do not teach them the teachings of Surah Yusuf, teach them to scratch or cuddle, and teach them Surah al-Nour; because the verse of veil, the limits of adultery, and the rules of women in it Sura is 
What is justifiable about such traditions is that the recommendations of these traditions are certainly not universal, that is, it is not at all times and for all women that the recite of Sura Yusuf will be seditious to them! 
That the narrative says that women do not settle in the upper floors of the houses; hence, in the past, windows of empty houses were curtains and they might see their non-titles, or they would see the non-sanctuary, as well as by writing and reading letters to men Write that men are fascinated by their lines; or in Surah, Joseph, because it is a love and love story, lest they be tempted to read it. 
As stated, this is subject to conditions and cultures. For example, this story of Sura Youssef can be special for women who speak Arabic and understand the language of the Qur'an, but Persian (other languages i add it from my self)  speakers who recite only the text of the Qur'an for reciprocation, and do not understand something about its content, or most of the charming women who Reading that lesson will not be a problem for them.
 

[1] . Kellini, Mohammad ibn Ya'qub, Ghaffari, Ali Akbar, Akhundi, Mohammad 5, p. 516, Darelectro-al-Issamish, Tehran, Fourth Edition, 1407 AD.
[2] . Ibn Babawayh, Mohammad bin Ali, I am La Yehzayar al-Faghih, researcher, moderator, Ghaffari, Ali Akbar, p. 1, p. 374, Islamic Printing Office, Qom, Second Edition, 1413 AD.
Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

 "Our readers should note that even a part of the Qur'an (i.e., Surah of Yusuf) is not permitted to girls to learn because it contains the references to the love of Zulaykha towards Prophet Yusuf (a.s.). Seeing this restriction, those Muslims who allow their children (and especially girls) to read sexy novels, visit cinemas where they are practically taught all kinds of obscene thoughts and deeds should be ashamed of their irresponsible behaviour. Such parents should be ashamed of themselves, if they have an iota of Islamic feelings left in their hearts."

^This still doesn't seem right or Islamic. The Quran is not a sexy novel, it is guidance from Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى and for all of mankind. The author should be ashamed for thinking and writing that people will be misguided into perversion for reading the Message sent by Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى

As for the hadith, it is legit? Who reported it? Where's the isnad? I am really skeptical now.

It is narrated in Al-Kafi with a mursal chain to Al-Sadiq (as) (so it is weak) - according to Majlisi.

Some scholars seemingly took this hadith literally, while others might say it is conditional. Some scholars have added it in their rulings and have mentioned its discouragement.

The writer is Sayyed Rizvi, he is quite respected in Islamic Jurisprudence and I believe has translated many books.

For more: 

https://research.rafed.net/أسئلة-وردود/225-الحديث/2144-سؤال-عن-صحّة-ومعنى-حديث-«-لا-تعلّموا-نساءكم-سورة-يوسف-»-؟

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Found this from al-Kafi.

 ١٤١٨٥] ١ - الكليني، عن علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن النوفلي، عن السكوني، عن أبي عبد الله (عليه السلام) قال: قال رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم): لا تنزلوا النساء بالغرف ولا تعلموهن الكتابة وعلموهن المغزل وسورة النور (٣

الرواية معتبرة الإسناد

٣) الكافي: ٥ / ٥١٦ ح ١

[14185] 1- Al Kulaini, from Ali b. Ibrahim, from his father, from al Nofali,from al Sakooni, from abi Abdullah (as) who said: "Do not let the women come down the rooms and do not teach them to write, while teach them the spindle/spinning wheel and surah noor.

Though I wonder if Khadija, Fatima, Zaynab, Sakeena (peace be upon them) memorized/recited all of the Quran.... And why no maraji have fatwa's on this.

Not teach them to write?? This contradicts the narration below:

طلب العلم فریضة علی کل مسلم و کل مسلمه

It is wajeb for every muslim man and muslim woman to acquire knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

What is justifiable about such traditions is that the recommendations of these traditions are certainly not universal, that is, it is not at all times and for all women that the recite of Sura Yusuf will be seditious to them! 

It should never be at any time and for all women that a Surah should be seditious or arousing to them. I am stunned by the answer...

Again, the Quran is not a sexy novel. It is a sacred Book and a guidance to all. I don't see how these traditions or this answer are even remotely justifiable.

1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

As stated, this is subject to conditions and cultures. For example, this story of Sura Youssef can be special for women who speak Arabic and understand the language of the Qur'an,

Whoever wrote this has forgotten that Surah Yusuf has themes of confidence and courage,what defines the character of a Muslim and describes the faith of the Prophets (as).

The whole point of this Surah was show Quraysh that what Muhammad (saws) said was not made up but evinced and supported by Divine Revelation. This treatment of the Surah is disturbing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Found this from al-Kafi.

 ١٤١٨٥] ١ - الكليني، عن علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن النوفلي، عن السكوني، عن أبي عبد الله (عليه السلام) قال: قال رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم): لا تنزلوا النساء بالغرف ولا تعلموهن الكتابة وعلموهن المغزل وسورة النور (٣

الرواية معتبرة الإسناد

٣) الكافي: ٥ / ٥١٦ ح ١

[14185] 1- Al Kulaini, from Ali b. Ibrahim, from his father, from al Nofali,from al Sakooni, from abi Abdullah (as) who said: "Do not let the women come down the rooms and do not teach them to write, while teach them the spindle/spinning wheel and surah noor.

Though I wonder if Khadija, Fatima, Zaynab, Sakeena (peace be upon them) memorized/recited all of the Quran.... And why no maraji have fatwa's on this.

Write what and when they should not come down from rooms ? This hadith lacks full information while Prophet PBUHHP said: "Acquiring knowledge is obligatory upon both males and females'....So, there is contradiction as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

@Sindbad05 and @shadow_of_light 's responses, what do you think of them?

My next question is do we reject dhaif hadith based on whether or not it is contradictory to other stronger and more viable hadith and Quran?

It is rejected if it contradicts the Holy Qur'an, but not everyone can determine that contradiction. This is why it is left to the experts in the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×