Samra110

Rights of a wife on her husband

Rate this topic

Husband must provide her with all necessities, such as food, clothing, shelter, medical care. He should also insure that she has luxuries similar to what he gives himself. In addition to that, she can ask for payment for work that she does such as cooking, cleaning, child caring. Breast feeding in particular is mentioned as being worthy of payment if the wife asks. 

Other than that, each person's income is his or her own. 

1 hour ago, Samra110 said:

I want to asked that , a wife has right to take how much part of her husband income.

20) The Right of the Wife

The right of your wife (zawja) is that you know that God has made her a repose and a comfort for you; you should know that she is God's favour toward you, so you should honour her and treat her gently. Though her right toward you is more incumbent, you must treat her with compassion, since she is your prisoner (asir) whom you feed and clothe. If she is ignorant, you should pardon her.

20. حق الزوجة

وأما حق الزوجة فأن تعلم أن الله عز وجل جعلها لك سكنا وأنسا فتعلم أن ذلك نعمة من الله عليك فتكرمها وترفق بها، وإن كان حقك عليها أوجب فان لها عليك أن ترحمها لأنها أسيرك وتطعمها وتكسوها وإذا جهلت عفوت عنها.

Treatise On Rights (Risalat al-Huquq), AUTHOR(S): 

Imam Ali Zaynul Abidin (a)

Imam Zayn al-'Abidin's `Treatise on Rights' is the only work attributed to him other than supplications or relatively short sayings and letters. 

https://www.al-islam.org/treatise-rights-risalat-al-huquq-imam-zain-ul-abideen/rights-subjects#20-right-wife

http://www.imamiyya.com/hadith/man-l-yauruh-al-faqh

There are pllenty of hadith here.

4513 – al-Ḥasan b. Maḥbūb related from Mālik b. `Aṭiyyah from Muḥammad b. Muslim from Abū Ja`far عليه السلام. He said:

A woman came to the Messenger of Allāh صلى الله عليه واله and said: O’ Messenger of Allāh! What is the right of the husband over the wife? He said to her: She obeys him and does not disobey him, does not give anything in charity from her house except with his permission, she does not keep a voluntary fast without his permission and does not prevent him from herself even if she be on hunchback[1]. She does not leave her house but with his permission; if she leaves without his permission, the angels of the heaven, the angels of the earth, the angels of wrath and the angels of mercy damn her until she returns to her house. So she said: O’ Messenger of Allāh! Who among the people has the greatest right on the man? He said: His parents. She said: Who among the people has the greatest right over the woman? He said: Her husband. She said: So do I have a right over him similar to what he has over me? He said: No, not [even] one in a hundred! She said: By the One Who sent you as a Prophet with the truth, no man shall ever own my neck

4526 – Isḥāq b. `Ammār asked Abū `Abdillāh عليه السلام about the right of the woman on her husband. He said:

He feeds her (stomach), clothes her (body) and if she acts ignorantly [lit. she is ignorant], he forgives her.

Edited by Mansur Bakhtiari

The question is about financial rights. While these other rights ^ are possibly more important, that isn't what the OP asked. 

I wonder: if a husband refuses to allow his permanent wife to live with him though she is willing, and refuses to support her in her needs, what recourse does she have? As far as I know a man is obligated to provide for his wife, but if he refuses there is nothing she can do about it. 

8 hours ago, Samra110 said:

I want to asked that , a wife has right to take how much part of her husband income.

Providing Financial Support [nafaqah]

In Islam, it is a man’s duty to provide for all living expenses of the family. Ishaq ibn ‘Ammar asked the noble Imam Sadiq (‘a):

سأل إسحاق بن عمّار أباعبدالله (ع) عن حقّ المرأة علی زوجها قال: «یشبع بطنها، و یکسوها، و إن جهلت غفر لها.»

‘What are the rights of a wife upon her husband?’ He replied, ‘He must fill her stomach and provide her clothing and if she makes a mistake, he must forgive her. 

If you need money for something he should give you or provide you that. But it doesn't mean that now you demand his LV bag. 

3 hours ago, notme said:

The question is about financial rights. While these other rights ^ are possibly more important, that isn't what the OP asked.  

:sign_sorry:

Though this might be related.

3 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

does not give anything in charity from her house except with his permission

3 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

He feeds her (stomach), clothes her (body) 

I'm not sure what scholars would say, but this sounds like the husband is obliged to give money for basic needs, while other stuff (like charity) is based on his permission.

basically, if she be a perfect obedient robotic slave, then she will receive the toys, although this can only occur if the man him self be a saint. This has never been the case, thus, we have a dilemma. Although, now we understand why women want financial independence and why man hate it. :einstein:

6 hours ago, notme said:

I wonder: if a husband refuses to allow his permanent wife to live with him though she is willing, and refuses to support her in her needs, what recourse does she have? As far as I know a man is obligated to provide for his wife, but if he refuses there is nothing she can do about it. 

She can take it to an Islamic court.

16 minutes ago, E.L King said:

She can take it to an Islamic court.

In theory, yes. In reality, where would a person find an Islamic court? 

53 minutes ago, notme said:

In theory, yes. In reality, where would a person find an Islamic court? 

This is one of the modern day issues. I guess if you really wanted you could take a trip to an Islamic country.

30 minutes ago, E.L King said:

This is one of the modern day issues. I guess if you really wanted you could take a trip to an Islamic country.

Not exactly accessible to a destitute abandoned wife, wouldn't you agree? Plus, as far as I know, the wife can't even leave her house without husband's approval, let alone travel to a distant land to take him to court. 

Islam is very fair; some people aren't. Everyone needs to be very careful who they marry, but women need to be especially careful. If things go wrong in the marriage and the husband acts unjustly, there is almost no practical, working option for the wife to seek help. 

4 minutes ago, notme said:

Not exactly accessible to a destitute abandoned wife, wouldn't you agree? Plus, as far as I know, the wife can't even leave her house without husband's approval, let alone travel to a distant land to take him to court. 

Islam is very fair; some people aren't. Everyone needs to be very careful who they marry, but women need to be especially careful. If things go wrong in the marriage and the husband acts unjustly, there is almost no practical, working option for the wife to seek help. 

A woman could give herself more power if she puts certain clauses in the marriage contract. Not popular, but possible.

On 11/6/2017 at 10:07 AM, Samra110 said:

Most of the advice here is good. Except for of course Monads. Who I assume just lives in his own echo chamber and is blind to the fact that both genders oppress the other.