sidnaq

Whats one unusual or rare fruit you have eaten?

Rate this topic

I don't know if durian counts as rare or unusual but I've never seen it here in Ireland. I tried it in Malaysia where it seemed to be everywhere. 

Even with the husk intact, the notorious Asian fruit has such a potent stench that it’s banned on the Singapore Rapid Mass Transit. Food writer Richard Sterling has written “its odor is best described as…turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away.”

It wasn't nearly as disgusting as I expected but I didn't particularly like it either. 

durians.jpg 

6 hours ago, Klanky said:

I don't know if durian counts as rare or unusual but I've never seen it here in Ireland. I tried it in Malaysia where it seemed to be everywhere. 

It wasn't nearly as disgusting as I expected but I didn't particularly like it either. 

durians.jpg 

:salam:

Smells very bad, but tasty.

Reminds me of ashta, famous in Lebanon and also very good.

fruits-exotique-ashta-14482944.jpg

25 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

l like them.

I don't know whether mine was the correct ripeness. It tasted bland and a bit like sweet bread. All I know is the birds ate every other one, and there had been dozens growing on our tiny persimmon tree. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

I don't know whether mine was the correct ripeness. It tasted bland and a bit like sweet bread. All I know is the birds ate every other one, and there had been dozens growing on our tiny persimmon tree. 

I have had some really sweet ones that tasted lovely. You know they are ripe when they are soft, very gently press against the flesh, it should give and not spring back. The inside should not be hard but almost has a jelly-ish texture, they are delicious in a persimmon pudding.