A Muslim Artist

Arab Mythology

Rate this question

Question

Salaam everyone.

I've been doing some research when I realized something, I can find the creation stories for almost every religion but I can't find the Arab creation story.  When I say Arab creation story I don't mean the Islamic one, people seem to confuse the two. I found a really cool list describing almost every god/goddess in Pre-Islamic Arabia and the list gives some background but I can't find the creation story.

If someone could tell me and give a source or point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated, thanks!

5 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, A Muslim Artist said:

Salaam everyone.

I've been doing some research when I realized something, I can find the creation stories for almost every religion but I can't find the Arab creation story.  When I say Arab creation story I don't mean the Islamic one, people seem to confuse the two. I found a really cool list describing almost every god/goddess in Pre-Islamic Arabia and the list gives some background but I can't find the creation story.

If someone could tell me and give a source or point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Arabs in the pre-Islamic era were more prone to poetry than to stories. 

I would research into semitic gods such as Baal. Arab mythology was mostly a mix of other cultures (commerce promoted that). Nearly nothing remained, except the belief in djinns if any.

As for authors who may have written something on the topic, I would try with Mircea Eliade, he may have done some research (maybe even under his research on Islam).

Arabs originated from Yemen, so you may research ancient Yemeni cultures.

Iraq and east of Arabia was sumerian/persian. Levant has its own ancient cultures too. Central Arabia was dominated by various nations that are gone and did not last long.

Arabs are 2 : Arab ba'idah or extinct Arabs , Arab Sa'idah or dominating arabs

Arab nations that went extinct are like Aad, Thamoud and the amalik or giants. All of them were giants and strong and probably even smart. But they were gone and no longer exist.

Arab sa'idah or dominating Arabs or existing Arabs are of 2 types: Arab Aaaribah and Arab musta'ribah

Arab Aaaribah are native Arabs, they are like the Qahtan tribe. Majority are beduins

Arab Musta'ribah are the nations taht came to ARrbia and started tallking Arabic and formed their own tribes. These are like the Adananite whom the prophet tribe belong to. They are originally Iraqi from prophet Ibrahim linage.  

For the Adnanite, their creation story would be the known Adam and Eve. They were Hanifi, Jews and Christians then Muslims.

The other Arabs were influenced by the Adananites or the other nations like Babil, Tadmur etc

Aaad, Thamoud , Tababi'ah, Hemyar and other giants who went extinct are all almost in Yemen. Good luck!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.