Rate this topic

Bismehe Ta3ala,

I&M

I was addressing the brother and I'm not taking shots at him.  I know brother GC to be a sincere lover of Ahulbayt, and that is why I brought up our living Imam.  

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

I really undersrand and don't want to argue against the point that Halloween is not good. But seriously, I think the kids issue is up to how we want to educate our kids and where we have started a life. I seriously see this as something up to the parents and I wouldn't dare tell anyone how to educate hir or her own kids. The way I see it, though, is bidirectional. Parents letting their kids participate in halloween aren't any better or worse than those not allowing them to go. It all depends on other factors and variables that do affect kids (my opinion).

We are inherently affected by the experience we have lived ourselves and observed in others. The way I see it is that not letting your kid socialize in such ocassions will lead to greater problems than to care to talk with him and educate him in religion to understand what Halloween truly is. Others may see this incoherent and harmful nonetheless. It is an opinion I respect and won't argue against, guess it's all up to the results and, as I said, past experience. When I think of this, I cannot avoid remember all those parents who imposed such rules on their kids. Kids that, today, halloween is the least of their spiritual problems.

And may Allah guide us all...

On 11/1/2017 at 3:17 AM, E.L King said:

Dressing up as a Shaykh? What? Why would you want to play dress up with Shaykh attire? What will that achieve?

Was just an example of the possibilities. I didn’t say it would really achieve much. It may get you a lot of candy. 

On 11/1/2017 at 3:17 AM, E.L King said:

And for that reason alone I don't have candles and a birthday cake when it's my birthday. I only celebrate purely Islamic holidays. I have spoken to shaykhs about this, and they are all against celebrating things like halloween. They didn't say it is haram in and of itself although it can be depending on how you celebrate, but they said it is nonsense and a waste of time because it promotes ridiculous fantasy.

Wow. You know on the birthdays thing I used to be the same way. Well for about a year at least. Interesting. Do you watch western movies and play western video games? Anyways  I don’t see the harm in kids doing it as long as they avoid promoting corruption.

Here is ayatullah Khamenei’s (ha) Office on the matter:

Subject: Sins
Istifta’ no.: ldhkB7PSxfo
Bismihi Ta`ala
Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
Unless it leads to corrupt consequences or would support false culture, it is no problem by itself.
With prayers for your success
Can we celebrate Halloween and go trick or treating and wear costumes as long as hijab is maintaned?
Edited by Hameedeh
[Mod Note: Extremely small fonts (size 8-10) may be increased to a standard size (12-14) by a Moderator.]

Orthodox Christians are against it. They call it pagan and satanic too. As the current (exterior) of the celebration has nothing to do with the Christians special days or practices.

Remembering the death and visiting the dead in graveyards is recommended in Islam, specially on Friday, Eid days and any day. The original "All Saints day" that is still celebrated in some parts of Europe like Portugal has no contradiction with islamic teaching, it is just we do not have that specific day, we visit the dead on everyday.

The commercial Halloween has 2 parts: candies and costumes. Candies is the PG kids part. If Halloween was all about harvest, or was it a celebration of the saints, in either way if it is cultural thing and not religious practice, this PG part  does not contradict islamic teaching. 

Costume part is the partying part, it targets adolescents and adults alike. It is either about looking very appealing to the other gender or it is about showing how wicked one can be. Even the bunnies and princesses who originally are light and good, in modern Halloween, they are  sexy and have a wicked side.

It is not only Halloween, it is all over Hollywood and the corporation new age religion. But in Halloween, people participate actively and show how much brainwashed they got.

Halloween costumes are usually  of villains. Be it satan or reaper  or any other demon or bad-ass or thug life character. It is about deviation and going astray from the familiar norm or the known good path. To be cool, is to be a bad-ass. To be good is to be boring, dull and largely non creative and powerless.

The Halloween customs reflect the children choice of their role models or wannabe like. They choose to be powerful, but not in Islamically accepted power. In Islam, we have the hadith that says " powerful believer is more beloved by God than weak one"

المؤمن القوي خير و احب الآ الله من المؤمن الضعيف

The explanation is usually that the believer who has power and use it in good way to promote good things is better than weak believer who is wanting someone else to save him.

But in case of Halloween customs and characters, the power is Macvilian. Weather you claim to be using light make up or dark make up, the way to reach to your goal and the reasons to which you decided to gain powers are all the same : self satisfaction and ego inflation, or being arrogant in short.

So yeah it is satanic, but you can control that on individual level if you have good communication with your kids.

6 hours ago, Laayla said:

Why do you want to approve a secular holiday that has no merit in our religion?  You are spending so much effort saying this is ok, why?

If you say that, then you were obviously not reading my posts. My issue is people, regular laymen saying it is haram or promotes deviance, blood and death. I don't care for Halloween but  I do care about are what scholars are saying.

Nobody here is a scholar, it is really annoying to read people's opinion on what should be trivial issue for Shias. We don't celebrate it, fine, nothing wrong with that. Taking your opinions and presenting them like fatwas? Not ok. Everything is halal until proven haram.

11 hours ago, E.L King said:

Also, what would you say about brother @Qa'im's recent blogpost about halloween?

As I much as I respect him, he is off the mark about the true history of modern day Halloween. The Halloween we are talking about is no more than 200 years old at the most, not centuries old.

Celebration of Halloween was extremely limited in colonial New England because of the rigid Protestant belief systems there. Halloween was much more common in Maryland and the southern colonies.

As the beliefs and customs of different European ethnic groups as well as the American Indians meshed, a distinctly American version of Halloween began to emerge. The first celebrations included “play parties,” public events held to celebrate the harvest, where neighbors would share stories of the dead, tell each other’s fortunes, dance and sing.

Colonial Halloween festivities also featured the telling of ghost stories and mischief-making of all kinds. By the middle of the nineteenth century, annual autumn festivities were common, but Halloween was not yet celebrated everywhere in the country.

In the second half of the nineteenth century, America was flooded with new immigrants. These new immigrants, especially the millions of Irish fleeing the Irish Potato Famine, helped to popularize the celebration of Halloween nationally.

Borrowing from Irish and English traditions, Americans began to dress up in costumes and go house to house asking for food or money, a practice that eventually became today’s “trick-or-treat” tradition. Young women believed that on Halloween they could divine the name or appearance of their future husband by doing tricks with yarn, apple parings or mirrors.

In the late 1800s, there was a move in America to mold Halloween into a holiday more about community and neighborly get-togethers than about ghosts, pranks and witchcraft. At the turn of the century, Halloween parties for both children and adults became the most common way to celebrate the day. Parties focused on games, foods of the season and festive costumes.

Parents were encouraged by newspapers and community leaders to take anything “frightening” or “grotesque” out of Halloween celebrations. Because of these efforts, Halloween lost most of its superstitious and religious overtones by the beginning of the twentieth century.

So by the time of the beginning of the twentieth century, Halloween wasn't as superstitious or religious as it was back then.

By the 1920s and 1930s, Halloween had become a secular, but community-centered holiday, with parades and town-wide Halloween parties as the featured entertainment. Despite the best efforts of many schools and communities, vandalism began to plague some celebrations in many communities during this time.

By the 1950s, town leaders had successfully limited vandalism and Halloween had evolved into a holiday directed mainly at the young. Due to the high numbers of young children during the fifties baby boom, parties moved from town civic centers into the classroom or home, where they could be more easily accommodated.

Between 1920 and 1950, the centuries-old practice of trick-or-treating was also revived. Trick-or-treating was a relatively inexpensive way for an entire community to share the Halloween celebration. In theory, families could also prevent tricks being played on them by providing the neighborhood children with small treats.

Thus, a new American tradition was born, and it has continued to grow. Today, Americans spend an estimated $6 billion annually on Halloween, making it the country’s second largest commercial holiday after Christmas.

^This is the Halloween that my parents and I grew up on, there is nothing wrong or objectionable about it that I can see. Except maybe that last part about spending 6 billion dollars annually.

This is what you are calling deviant and satanic. 

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

I was raised in a Christian family, and we participated in Halloween. Our costumes were not inappropriate or terrifying. They were an exercise in creativity, as we made them from things we had on hand. Especially the elderly neighbors looked forward to the kids and their parents coming around to say hello. It was a very social occasion. 

I realize some people use Halloween as an excuse to dress crudely and act mischievously, but since I've never been around that, I have a hard time relating to the assumption that's all there is to the cultural celebration. 

Edited by notme
Typo. Stupid autocorrect.

12 hours ago, E.L King said:

Lol nice try after you failed the first time with a pathetic comment you come back with another pathetic comment.

I hadn't actually thought of kids until now, what triggered this thread is because I saw a grown man wearing a stupid outfit.

Do not dig holes before realising why you actually need to dig them. You are just angry because you feel left out. This is shiachat, a place for loners and introverts. None of us even celebrate anything. Well, apart from owning each other.:pushup2:

Edited by monad

20 hours ago, monad said:

Do not dig holes before realising why you actually need to dig them. You are just angry because you feel left out. This is shiachat, a place for loners and introverts. None of us even celebrate anything. Well, apart from owning each other.:pushup2:

When you have nothing to say.

On 11/1/2017 at 1:20 PM, Al Hadi said:

Was just an example of the possibilities. I didn’t say it would really achieve much. It may get you a lot of candy. 

Wow. You know on the birthdays thing I used to be the same way. Well for about a year at least. Interesting. Do you watch western movies and play western video games? Anyways  I don’t see the harm in kids doing it as long as they avoid promoting corruption.

Here is ayatullah Khamenei’s (ha) Office on the matter:

Subject: Sins
Istifta’ no.: ldhkB7PSxfo
Bismihi Ta`ala
Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
Unless it leads to corrupt consequences or would support false culture, it is no problem by itself.
With prayers for your success
Can we celebrate Halloween and go trick or treating and wear costumes as long as hijab is maintaned?

Once again, I never said it is haram.

Edited by Hameedeh
[Mod Note: Extremely small fonts (size 8-10) may be increased to a standard size (12-14) by a Moderator.]

20 hours ago, notme said:

I was raised in a Christian family, and we participated in Halloween. Our costumes were not inappropriate or terrifying. 

The only costume l remember wearing was a pirate.

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

The only costume l remember wearing was a pirate.

I once used my mom's fake fur coat to dress as a bear. Another year I crocheted myself ears and a tail and dressed as a yellow cat. Once I painted some boxes and dressed as a robot (do not recommend - very mobility impairing). Another of my mom's coats, a brown hooded cloak, was used as part of a Jedi costume one chilly year. 

51 minutes ago, notme said:

I once used my mom's fake fur coat to dress as a bear. Another year I crocheted myself ears and a tail and dressed as a yellow cat. Once I painted some boxes and dressed as a robot (do not recommend - very mobility impairing). Another of my mom's coats, a brown hooded cloak, was used as part of a Jedi costume one chilly year. 

rob_onstreet.png

2 hours ago, E.L King said:

When you have nothing to say

aww, what exactly have you ever written that is worthy of thinking?. Considering you were blaming a western act, yet indulge in other acts of western consumerism, but proclaimed that your intent was never associating it with haram. That in it self is devilish. You can dress as a fairy if you like, we wont judge. I have plenty of ammo my dear arab.

I am sure, last years posts had the same responses even the same image CM....

Edited by monad

8 minutes ago, monad said:

aww, what exactly have you ever written that is worthy of thinking?. Considering you were blaming a western act, yet indulge in other acts of western consumerism, but proclaimed that your intent was never associating it with haram. That in it self is devilish. You can dress as a fairy if you like, we wont judge. I have plenty of ammo my dear arab.

41z7l+3L2WL._SY355_.jpg

2 minutes ago, monad said:

That's inappropriate to say, whatever do you mean by that? If that is what I think it is, that's a violation of the rules.

6 minutes ago, monad said:

You wrote, if that is what I think it is. what exactly do you think it means GC?.

ammo = comeback talk, one cannot shoot online......unless one plays FPS....

I don't know, I am rather unfamiliar with slang, I thought it was a threat. 

24 minutes ago, monad said:

I am sure, last years posts had the same responses even the same image CM....

You think you're the man with the way you act but you're nothing compared to me. I'm a king in this game compared to you, you're here acting like a fool.

I could care less if it is Western or Eastern, ghosts, vampires, blood are all satanic. 

I don't dress up as a fairy because I'm not a gay, but if you have issues that's not my problem.

Stay tuned, same thread this time next year. You have a year to think of a response.

19 minutes ago, E.L King said:

You think you're the man with the way you act but you're nothing compared to me. I'm a king in this game compared to you, you're here acting like a fool.

You're not a king, and I think the both of you are being petty. Just ignore each other, simple as that.

6 hours ago, Bakir said:

Seriously... What is this thread about?

It started out about the evils of Halloween, but now it's degraded into two guys posturing at each other, so basically about nothing but silly machismo.