Rate this topic

19 hours ago, E.L King said:

It's insane to think that some Muslims are celebrating this day which promotes deviance and satanism by promoting death, blood, vampires, ghosts and other nonsensical things.

I don’t agree with that. Your looking at it from a very negative lense. Isn’t it possible to strengthen Islamic culture with this by dressing as a shaykh for Halloween or something, idk would be kind of cool. 

Halloween may have pagan roots but I think many aspects of society do too even The English language I think. Also birthdays In terms of the birth cake and candles I think also has pagan roots. 

Halloween doesn’t necessarily promote blood and death but some people prefer to express there Halloween spirit in this way I think. If your against this than shouldn’t you also be against western films and video games as well which also promote death blood and violence as well?

just some food for thought. 

Edited by Al Hadi

49 minutes ago, starlight said:

@Gaius I. Caesar @Bakir @others

Here is the advice given by Ayatullah Sistani to a group of Ziyareen: 

Now a couple of pieces of advice that the respected scholar shared…

He emphasized a lot on two major things, one upbringing of children, starting from the baby stage for teaching our deen, our aqeeda, into wilaya, salat etc. by us practicing it. He was also concerned for our eiman in the West and for the physical well being and told us that he keeps us in his daily duas. His other advice was of checking slowly creeping atheist cultures into our homes. Look around, if you celebrated Halloween this October or you have adorned a Christmas tree in blind following or to blend in, you were part of his concerns. He specifically mentioned Christmas so quoting his concerns here.

Really he mentioned Christmas? Can you provide a source?

20 hours ago, E.L King said:

It's insane to think that some Muslims are celebrating this day which promotes deviance and satanism by promoting death, blood, vampires, ghosts and other nonsensical things.

The key word here is "nonsensical". There is nothing wrong with people laughing at make-believe.

Actually, l missed Halloween last night ... slept right through it.  Dang ... l wanted some free candy. :D

8 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

The key word here is "nonsensical". There is nothing wrong with people laughing at make-believe.

Yeah, Hassan is right. There is nothing wrong with laughing or enjoying dressing up like a monster or make believe characters for one single night.

You know what is not ok? Members of SC deciding whether something is halal or haram without years of studies at hawza. You will spread misinformation that way. That is how misinformation, misconceptions and lies get spread on the internet of the masses. Because people are too dumb to be verifying whether anything that they read is true.

Especially when you people can't be bothered to get your facts about Halloween, it is not religious anymore. That is the Day of the Dead in Mexico, on October 1st. The Day of the Dead has consistently been a religious holiday.

@starlight Thank you, sis. I will keep that in mind.

32 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Actually, l missed Halloween last night ... slept right through it.  Dang ... l wanted some free candy. :D

Do you feel its appropriate to celebrate during these nights of mourning?

1 minute ago, hasanhh said:

What "nights of mourning" ?

Well for example, yesterday, the day of Halloween, was the wafat of Bibi Sakina(as).

I am writing a question regarding Halloween to seyyed Sistanis office in my other tab as I write this, iA we can get a clear response so there will be no more discussion.

19 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

Do you feel its appropriate to celebrate during these nights of mourning?

No, I didn't celebrate anyway. I stayed home after dropping off my brother to see his friends with my mom. @IbnSina that being said, I am pretty annoyed by some of the sweeping statements about Halloween. If some of stuff said about Halloween was true, I highly doubt my mom would let my brother go, it is just a holiday for the kids. Quite frankly, it is a little ridiculous to be painting it as promoting Satanism and the like. 

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

It's funny, I never claimed anything is halal or haram so you can say things like "e-marja". I said it is satanic, and I referenced the uniforms and the halloween theme which is death and blood. 

1 hour ago, Al Hadi said:

I don’t agree with that. Your looking at it from a very negative lense. Isn’t it possible to strengthen Islamic culture with this by dressing as a shaykh for Halloween or something, idk would be kind of cool. 

Dressing up as a Shaykh? What? Why would you want to play dress up with Shaykh attire? What will that achieve?

1 hour ago, Al Hadi said:

Halloween may have pagan roots but I think many aspects of society do too even The English language I think. Also birthdays In terms of the birth cake and candles I think also has pagan roots. 

And for that reason alone I don't have candles and a birthday cake when it's my birthday. I only celebrate purely Islamic holidays. I have spoken to shaykhs about this, and they are all against celebrating things like halloween. They didn't say it is haram in and of itself although it can be depending on how you celebrate, but they said it is nonsense and a waste of time because it promotes ridiculous fantasy.

18 minutes ago, E.L King said:

They didn't say it is haram in and of itself although it can be depending on how you celebrate,

Ok...

21 hours ago, E.L King said:

...which promotes deviance and satanism by promoting death, blood, vampires, ghosts and other nonsensical things.

^ This is basically saying something is haram in a polite and nice way and they are your words alone.  Didn't the sheikhs tell you that Halloween isn't haram of itself and depends on how one celebrates it?

I don't care for Halloween myself, I don't like for how it is all about consumption and having the most candy, capitalism 101 but it is a little crazy to say it promotes deviance and Satanism when you tell me what the sheikhs told you.

:salam:

All pagan or satanic stuff put aside, I find it very annoying that such occasions are being pushed in our environment. Back as a teen in France 20 years ago they tried to push Halloween on us but it did not take root because we did not care about this yankee stuff. Now for the last 5-6 years they have been insisting so much that it finally entered "our" homes. Problem is, "we" did not succomb as children but now "we" are, succombing as parents, pushing it down to OUR children, just to please the norm.

I see hijabi mothers or grandmother buying witches or skulls masks to toddlers. This is such a pity and proof of a cultural complex which the Muslim world is falling for. Being seduced by the West. Some would call it Dajjal. So we may not be that far from satanism after all.

40 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Ok...

^ This is basically saying something is haram in a polite and nice way and they are your words alone.  Didn't the sheikhs tell you that Halloween isn't haram of itself and depends on how one celebrates it?

I don't care for Halloween myself, I don't like for how it is all about consumption and having the most candy, capitalism 101 but it is a little crazy to say it promotes deviance and Satanism when you tell me what the sheikhs told you.

This is your assumption, if something is haram I'd say it's haram without beating around the bush. 

Also, what would you say about brother @Qa'im's recent blogpost about halloween?

3 hours ago, starlight said:

@Gaius I. Caesar @Bakir @others

Here is the advice given by Ayatullah Sistani to a group of Ziyareen: 

Now a couple of pieces of advice that the respected scholar shared…

He emphasized a lot on two major things, one upbringing of children, starting from the baby stage for teaching our deen, our aqeeda, into wilaya, salat etc. by us practicing it. He was also concerned for our eiman in the West and for the physical well being and told us that he keeps us in his daily duas. His other advice was of checking slowly creeping atheist cultures into our homes. Look around, if you celebrated Halloween this October or you have adorned a Christmas tree in blind following or to blend in, you were part of his concerns. He specifically mentioned Christmas so quoting his concerns here.

Yeah Star, that's why I also said I saw no reason to promote it. I take the Sayed's words very serious and find them to be well grounded.

But again, I believe this is a question of a social nature, not a religious one. Kids play together, and halloween is an occassion for them to gather. Maybe you were seeing it from another approach. I am seeing this as either telling your kid he can't go out with his friends to ask for sweets (because it is a pagan, western, atheist thing) or letting him go and socialize.

I am definitely not putting a pumpkin in my home, except in cous cous.

you are not guiding, you are whining, because your post lacked any evidence and if correct, it ignored motive.

Halloween is enjoyed according to the country, social and post code class. Kids do not differentiate between life or death, they see this as a time of freeeeee junk food. I did not see any kids dress up in my area, as they are poor class, but they went out for sweets, near work, the wealth class dressed their kids into princesses to bunnies. It seems the general whine posts stems from the news showing specific class enjoyment's.

religions promote death, jinns, torture..... Story is the same.

Never tried it with feta, but it does sound great hahah. I got your point and even understand your position, I am no parent so really won't push my view on anyone. I myself could think otherwise if I had a kid, merely out of fear for him to deviate. No one is free from that worry.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:57 AM, monad said:

you are not guiding, you are whining, because your post lacked any evidence and if correct, it ignored motive.

Halloween is enjoyed according to the country, social and post code class. Kids do not differentiate between life or death, they see this as a time of freeeeee junk food. I did not see any kids dress up in my area, as they are poor class, but they went out for sweets, near work, the wealth class dressed their kids into princesses to bunnies. It seems the general whine posts stems from the news showing specific class enjoyment's.

religions promote death, jinns, torture..... Story is the same.

Lol nice try after you failed the first time with a pathetic comment you come back with another pathetic comment.

I hadn't actually thought of kids until now, what triggered this thread is because I saw a grown man wearing a stupid outfit.

46 minutes ago, Bakir said:

But again, I believe this is a question of a social nature, not a religious one.

[[To isolate:]]   Kids play together, and halloween is an occassion for them to gather. Maybe you were seeing it from another approach.

I am seeing this as either telling your kid he can't go out with his friends to ask for sweets (because it is a pagan, western, atheist thing) or letting him go and socialize.

Here is a thought: lf the kids are laughing at costumes, laughing at seasonal games, laughing at superstitions, then they will be more likely to laugh at pagan stuff they see in a museum.

You know, the fat-lady idols, gargoyles, spooks and other shatanic garbage.

4 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Yeah, Hassan is right. There is nothing wrong with laughing or enjoying dressing up like a monster or make believe characters for one single night.

You know what is not ok? Members of SC deciding whether something is halal or haram without years of studies at hawza. You will spread misinformation that way. That is how misinformation, misconceptions and lies get spread on the internet of the masses. Because people are too dumb to be verifying whether anything that they read is true.

Especially when you people can't be bothered to get your facts about Halloween, it is not religious anymore. That is the Day of the Dead in Mexico, on October 1st. The Day of the Dead has consistently been a religious holiday.

@starlight Thank you, sis. I will keep that in mind.

Bismehe Ta3ala, 

Assalam Alikum brother GC

My condolences to you on the martydom of Imam Hussain and the prisoners of war and shackling of his Sister Zaynab 3la salam and his wives and children.  

Your 12th Imam is in ghaybaa, and he is observant of everything we do, do you think he will approve dressing up in costumes and knocking on strangers doors and saying "trick or treat" and collecting candy?

Why do you want to approve a secular holiday that has no merit in our religion?  You are spending so much effort saying this is ok, why?  If it is for the sake of of children we have so many events they can participate in and have fun.  What is the point of defending Halloween?  

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

44 minutes ago, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala, 

Assalam Alikum brother GC

My condolences to you on the martydom of Imam Hussain and the prisoners of war and shackling of his Sister Zaynab 3la salam and his wives and children.  

Your 12th Imam is in ghaybaa, and he is observant of everything we do, do you think he will approve dressing up in costumes and knocking on strangers doors and saying "trick or treat" and collecting candy?

Why do you want to approve a secular holiday that has no merit in our religion?  You are spending so much effort saying this is ok, why?  If it is for the sake of of children we have so many events they can participate in and have fun.  What is the point of defending Halloween?  

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

Lighten up. 

It’s all fun. 

He is not defending Halloween — he’s just pointing out how people are taking these things too seriously. And I agree with him that people have no right to inject their own opinions on the matter. 

You mentioning the 12th Iman (AS) and what he thinks — you are projecting your OWN opinion on the matter. None of us know what he truly thinks of this matter.

just because you personally don’t like Halloween, it does not make it wrong for kids to have fun and dress up.  

Edited by Islandsandmirrors