Rate this topic

I’m in my early 20s working full time. I’m trying to save up money for school while helping out with my family at the same time. But my father always asks me for money and is exhausting me financially. I want to save up for school and my own dental needs which isn’t cheap at all. But I’m always giving my family money. I know that it’s good to help out family and all but it’s to the point where it’s like I’m being taken advantage. My father doesn’t like working so I’m the main source of income. Is this okay in Islam? What’s the solution here? Thanks :)

3 hours ago, Delightful said:

I’m in my early 20s working full time. I’m trying to save up money for school while helping out with my family at the same time. But my father always asks me for money and is exhausting me financially. I want to save up for school and my own dental needs which isn’t cheap at all. But I’m always giving my family money. I know that it’s good to help out family and all but it’s to the point where it’s like I’m being taken advantage. My father doesn’t like working so I’m the main source of income. Is this okay in Islam? What’s the solution here? Thanks :)

Help as much as you can. 

3 hours ago, Delightful said:

Yeah, he can take your money and even though you need it. You cannot force him not to take it, but if you can ask that if he can repay you money and if cannot then bro, you cannot force him not to take it, it is un-islamic.

1 minute ago, starlight said:

He cannot!

I read a tradition of Prophet PBUHHP in which a person came and complained about his father. Prophet PBUHHP said: "Not his money but your yourself entirely belong to your father" said it thrice....

It is also known in traditions that our Holy Imams said to a complaining person that if your parents take your money without telling you, they have taken it from their property and it is not stealing but you cannot take their money. 

If his father takes his money for wrong use, then he cannot give him and stop him but if his father need it for things which he require in life, he can take it unless if this brother feels ills and his father has no such problem. But in usual circumstance, his father has preference over him as I have read in above hadith. 

Children are expected to respect and obey their parents, but parents are also expected to respect and care for their children and set an example of proper actions. 

Each adult's earnings are his/her own. It's good to help your parents if they are needy. If you are earning and live in their house it's reasonable to pay for your accommodation, but they have no claim to your earnings if you live on your own and they can't expect you to give them all that you earn regardless of where you live. 

4 hours ago, Delightful said:

My father doesn’t like working so I’m the main source of income.

Can you further explain this? Is he unable to work due to illness or disability? Does he work in the home such as cooking, cleaning, child caring, home repairs? Or how does he spend his time? I don't understand how a person can do no work at all. 

budget. Set aside the savings, then spend and live below ones means. If you need to save X, then you tell your parents you only have Y. Your savings are based on two goals, school and dental.

parents need to be reasonable, but also do not make them beg. Be transparent and have a discussion with them. If one is stuck in poverty, then you may need to delete one of the goals.

OP: Islamically you are under no obligation to give your parents money but I believe that that if you help out your parents God will open up doors of rizq for you in so many ways and out of nowhere. Trust me. 

As for your dad not working, has he always not worked or is he retired? I personally wish my father would stop working, it pains me to see him working so much at such an old age. He;s worked all his life and I keep nagging at him to just stay home now and rest and me and my brothers would take care of him. 

Salaam

Hide some money for yourself. Don't ruin your future or your teeth just because your dad is not taking responsibility for his family. 

Ask your siblings to help out. Get them jobs. Babysitting etc)