Naftzadeh

Hadith of the Four Companions from Sunni Books

Rate this topic

Salam,

Recently, I have been viewing a video about THE FOUR RIGHTFUL COMPANIONS, where the reciter showed hadith from 2 of the "Six Most Authentic Hadith Books" of Sunni school against the fact the most Sunnis know today, rather they know this with other names as taught to them.

1-Narrated Buraidah: that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "Indeed Allah has ordered me to love four, and He informed me that He loves them." It was said: "O Messenger of Allah! Name them for us." He said: "'Ali is among them," saying that three times, "And Abu Dharr, Al-Miqdad, and Salman. And He ordered me to love them, and He informed me that He loves them."

[ Jami` at-Tirmidhi » Chapters on Virtues http://sunnah.com/urn/635980]

2- Ibn Buraidah narrated that his father said: "The Messenger of Allah said: 'Allah has commanded me to love four people, and He told me that He also loves them.' He was asked: 'O Messenger of Allah, who are they?' He said: ''Ali is one of them,' and he said that three times, 'and Abu Dharr, Salman and Miqdad.'"

[ Sunan Ibn Majah » The Book of the Sunnah » https://sunnah.com/urn/1251490]

The reciter also mentioned the Ayat from Quran mentioning about this matter, which I couldn't get reference as of yet as he didn't mention the number/chapter. Anyone know such reference in Quran will be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Naftzadeh said:

The reciter also mentioned the Ayat from Quran mentioning about this matter, which I couldn't get reference as of yet as he didn't mention the number/chapter. Anyone know such reference in Quran will be appreciated.

Salam. In Chapter 6 of a book about Abu Dharr, it mentions that Imam Jafar Sadiq AS spoke about the four companions that Holy Prophet SA loved most (Ali, Abu Dharr, Miqdad and Salman, peace be upon them) and the ayah mentioned was Holy Qur'an 18:107.

The status of Abu Dharr is so high that the verses of the Holy Qur'an have been revealed in his praise. Here is one of them:

"The righteous striving believers will have the gardens of Paradise as their dwelling place and therein they will live forever".8

Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (a) says that this verse has been revealed about Abu Dharr, Miqdad, Ammar and Salman. According to a tradition, the Prophet said that Allah had commanded him to love Salman, Abu Dharr, Miqdad and Ammar, and he further added that he himself held them friends. According to another tradition the Prophet said, "Paradise is eager for these people".9

https://www.al-islam.org/the-great-companion-of-prophet-abu-dharr

Get PDF

It is mentioned in several books:

Umar Kashi, writes in his Rijal, Abu Ja'far Qummi in Khasa'il, Abdullah Humayri in Qurbul Asnad, Shaykh Mufid in Ikhtisas, Ayashi in his commentary, Saduq in Uyun Akhbar ar-Ridha, Abdul Barr in Isti'ab, Ibn Sa'd in Tabaqat and the author of Usudul Ghabah in his book: "The Holy Prophet (s) says that Allah has commanded me to keep my four companions my friends and love them, and I have also been told that He (Allah) too holds them as friends. Here are the names of those four companions: 1. Ali bin Abi Talib. 2. Abu Dharr Ghifari 3. Miqdad bin Aswad 4. Salman Farsi.4

There is much more information in Chapter 6 at the link.

Edited by Hameedeh
Adding the second quote.