Rate this topic

For the first time in a year in a half, I binged. I feel terrible and ashamed and anxious. 

I haven’t admitted to my therapist that I struggled with BED prior to weight loss, mostly because I feel ashamed about it still.

Right now, I’d like a new perspective.

5 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

For the first time in a year in a half, I binged. I feel terrible and ashamed and anxious. 

Sister, forgive yourself. Start over.

“Learn from Yesterday, live for Today, hope for Tomorrow.” ~ Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I haven’t admitted to my therapist that I struggled with BED prior to weight loss, mostly because I feel ashamed about it still.

Right now, I’d like a new perspective.

Salam, because of you I gotta know what is binged or binge. And all I can say is meditate or workout.

May Allah help you

Take care :)

13 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

What do you mean by binged? What does that mean?

Binge eating is when eating more than the amount of food than normal in a short span. There’s a loss on control while eating and a feeling of being not entirely full even after a binge. There’s shame and guilt for binging. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم

السلام علیکم

Don't replace it with a-binging on shame and anxiety sister. So what that you went a little out of order? You're cool with the good people. Have you ever told your mind, "Gosh, you're such a bully?" Do you know what bullies really hate? When you bully them back. If our own minds like to shame us we should shame them: how shallow you are, how stupid you are, how blind you are, how limited you are, how miserable and boring you are to focus on my flaws when God Above focuses on my power to smile, to play, to laugh, to wonder, to pray, to enjoy, to learn, to love, to do good things.

And then watch or read or do something beautiful and be grateful that you have one life, a beautiful life, and that's all that matters. And just carry on like the rest of us fixing ourselves bit by bit until we live the life of one who tried and we meet our Maker with hope to be free from the bullies of this world, some of them in our own bodies.

Alhamdulillah, the human being was made for a heavenly life, and the little errors on the way are not enough to distress and distract us from the joy that is journeying to a clear conscience and a stairway to heaven.

و علیکم السلام

Good advice from a kind heart. Thank you for posting. 

^ Brother put it beautifully. Although its not easy to just snap out of feeling shame for binging, its important to focus on the fact that you've done so well for the past year and a half and you can continue to do so. The anxiety that you are feeling likely stems from the fear or uncertainty of falling back into the same cycle of binging along with the frustration of why it happened.

It would also be beneficial for you to understand why you ended up binging, some people binge to regulate, control or numb unpleasant moods or feelings. So recognising why you fell back into that, what was going on for you at that time, what emotions were you feeling and what can you do to regulate those in a way that is healthy for you (this is something your therapist can help you with).

I would also recommend that you speak to your therapist about it, they have most likely come across these situations many a time and are not to judge you, rather help you to know your triggers so together you can put together a relapse prevention plan. Inshallah all will be ok, stay strong!

so you ate more food then usual....................

One day out of how many?....

Be realistic. If you think, you took in X amount of calories more then usual, it just means, the next day you would factor in today's amount. Thus

, Daily X + Binge Y = OMG XY - life is over to

Todays Daily X - Yesterdays Binge X = omg, life has meaning again.