Mohamed1993

Support Palestine? No Hurricane relief for you.

Rate this topic

So apparently if your life and home have been devastated by hurricane Harvey and you want help from a hurricane relief fund, you can't get it unless you promise to not boycott Israel, this btw includes Israeli settlement products in the illegally occupied west bank. http://www.houstonpress.com/news/to-get-harvey-relief-funds-in-dickinson-youll-have-to-promise-not-to-boycott-israel-9893599. I don't care what your positions are about Israel, every American should be outraged over this, it clearly violates your first amendment rights, there is an explicit law on this issue. You must now agree with a foreign government's policies to get help when you're in a desperate situation. Remember, to find out who rules over you, simply find out who you're not allowed to criticize. Whatever happened to freedom, liberty and justice for all?

22 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Unconstitutional. Lawsuit. 

They already have laws that prevent states from engaging in businesses that boycott Israel, apparently this happened too; https://theintercept.com/2017/10/13/kansas-israel-boycott-bds-mennonite-church/?comments=1#comments. But the media will never talk about how Israel threatens US democracy, but they'll go on and on about Russia, and supposedly since George Bush has joined in on this tirade, he's now a hero too after completely destroying the middle east. 

^ ...and the ACLU is suing the state of Kansas, as it should. 

N.A.A.C.P. v. Claiborne Hardware...unanimous decision by the US Supreme Court that political boycotts are protected.

So,although there may be some loophole I'm not seeing because I'm no lawyer, these state laws should be struck down.

Edited by LeftCoastMom

2 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

^ ...and the ACLU is suing the state of Kansas, as it should. 

N.A.A.C.P. v. Claiborne Hardware...unanimous decision by the US Supreme Court that political boycotts are protected.

So,although there may be some loophole I'm not seeing because I'm no lawyer, these state laws should be struck down.

Absolutely! Man I get furious when I see Israeli flags around now, not so much because I hate what they do to Palestinians but also because they have such a huge stranglehold on the American political system and no one even talks about it. 

Israel's attempts to influence US politics  are talked about around here maybe more than other places. The Leftist Coast. Plus the Catholic Church has historically often had some frosty relationships with Israel due to the treatment of ,among other folks, Palestinian Christians. There are plenty of Catholics around here and no preaching in regards to  the present State of Israel such as you find in ,say, some fundamentalist evangelical circles. 

I reserve the right to boycott whatever I please and I should never have to sign a document saying I won't. That's tantamount to telling me which candidate to vote for.  As citizens, we should not tolerate this.