Wholehearted Shi'a

How do i convert to Islam? Who can help me?

Rate this question

Question

As Salam Aleykum

Hello everyone I am an Australian Christian who two years ago wanted to learn more about Islam because of the climate of terrorism which unfortunately we have a problem with still today. I have read the Qur'an and as I read more of it I believed it to be the words of god. I researched the prophet's life, his teachings and courage all inspired me to believe that his characteristics were that of a true prophet. When I met some Sunni Muslims and asked about Ali and Karbala a event that frequently popped in my research. I was told Shi'a were pagans that believed Ali was a god which these people were my friends so initially I believed them until I researched myself. I found an Islam after the prophet's death that had already strayed off the path of islam. The Arab elites quickly established themselves on top, contradicting the Qur'an with racism and greed. I saw a man named Ali who fought this until he was assassinated and his sons Hussain, Hassan and Abbas had continued to do the same which led me to conclude that Ali and Ahlulbayt were the true successors to the prophet. 

Now that you know my story I would like to know what steps an individual has to take to convert and  confirm his belief in Islam.

Thanks you for reading my story, I look forward to your answers. 

32 answers to this question

[Update #2] 

After reading two books provided by the local Shi'a community discussing the principles of the Islamic faith furthering my understanding of Shi'a Islam, I will soon begin learning how to perform the five compulsory daily prayers starting with Fajr. I will begin a steady process of making these prayers apart of daily routine inshallah. 

[Update #1]

I recited my shahada today and have officially become a shi’a Muslim. I have searched for a religion for a long time and alhamdulillah, he has led me to the path of the Ahlulbayt. I am now being educated more about Shia Islam and the community will assist me in learning salat. 

Wow, congrats on your path to Haq :D. May God always bless you.

I would say to recite the Shahada, and then perhaps go to a Shia mosque and let him know that you wish to become Muslim. I believe the Shahada is done in front of witnesses. 

Then, I would suggest to incorporate Islam (like praying) into your life slowly, without overwhelming yourself. Start by praying Fajr for a certain period of time, then, when you’re ready, pray zhuhr. And repeat this until you feel comfortable and ready to pray the five daily prayers in one day.

Always remember that people are here for you, and take it slow. :) 

Twelver Shia Islam has five Usul al-Din and ten Furu al-Din, i.e., the Shia Islamic beliefs and practices. The Twelver Shia Islam Usul al-Din, equivalent to a Shia Five Pillars, are all beliefs considered foundational to Islam, and thus classified a bit differently from those listed above.[30] They are:

1. Tawhid (Monotheism: belief in the Oneness of God)
  2. 'Adl (Divine Justice: belief in the Almighty's justice)
  3. Nubuwwah (Prophethood)
  4. Imamah (Succession to the Muhammad)
  5. Mi'ad (The Day of Judgment and the Resurrection)

In addition to these Five Pillars, there are ten practices that Shia Muslims must perform, called the Ancillaries of the Faith[31] (Arabic: furūʿ al-dīn).

1. Salat
  2. Sawm
  3. Zakāt, similar to Sunni Islam, it applies to money, cattle, silver, gold, dates, raisins, wheat, and barley.
  4. Khums: an annual taxation of one-fifth (20%) of the gains that a year has been passed on without using. Khums is paid to the Imams; indirectly to poor and needy people.
  5. Hajj
  6. Jihad
  7. Amr-bil-Maroof: enjoining what is right.
  8. Nahi Anil Munkar: forbidding what is wrong.
  9. Tawalla: expressing love towards Good.
  10. Tabarra: expressing disassociation and hatred towards Evil.[32]

go to www.al-islam.org for a collection of islamic material (shia). 

Salam, may Allah Bless you

On 10/15/2017 at 11:04 PM, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

As Salam Aleykum

Hello everyone I am an Australian Christian who two years ago wanted to learn more about Islam because of the climate of terrorism which unfortunately we have a problem with still today. I have read the Qur'an and as I read more of it I believed it to be the words of god. I researched the prophet's life, his teachings and courage all inspired me to believe that his characteristics were that of a true prophet. When I met some Sunni Muslims and asked about Ali and Karbala a event that frequently popped in my research.

Salam, Brother. How are you doing? I like your username! @Wholehearted Shi'a 

Congratulations, being a Shia is not easy but I'm pleased to hear that you found the haqq. May Allah reward you immensely and I hope that you have found inner peace like I have @Wholehearted Shi'a, it is truly a blessing.

May you remain steadfast in the path and live up to your username.

21 hours ago, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

Now that you know my story I would like to know what steps an individual has to take to convert and  confirm his belief in Islam.

Wa alaikum as salam wwb

After reading your quest for Haq- I am unable to say much.

You can become a muslim simply by reciting Shahada i.e. testimony for Oneness of Allah, Prophethood of Mohammad saww and Wilayat of Ameerul momeneen Ali ibn Abitalib as. After reciting shahadah, you will be a muslim and you need to follow and tread the path of Islam as reported by Prophet and his Ahlulbayt. 

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
Long quote was shortened.

21 hours ago, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

Also, Al-Islam.org is best website for resources for religious education. http://islamicmobility.com/ are best site for english readers....

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
Long quote was shortened.

Congratulations for your hard work of research, all you need to do you ask those your Shia friends that you said they are Shia, so that they will guide you how to do it, and they are served as your witnesses. Thank you and you are welcome to the religion of peace. 

On 10/15/2017 at 11:04 PM, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

As Salam Aleykum

Hello everyone I am an Australian Christian who two years ago wanted to learn more about Islam because of the climate of terrorism which unfortunately we have a problem with still today. I have read the Qur'an and as I read more of it I believed it to be the words of god. I researched the prophet's life, his teachings and courage all inspired me to believe that his characteristics were that of a true prophet. When I met some Sunni Muslims and asked about Ali and Karbala a event that frequently popped in my research. I was told Shi'a were pagans that believed Ali was a god which these people were my friends so initially I believed them until I researched myself. I found an Islam after the prophet's death that had already strayed off the path of islam. The Arab elites quickly established themselves on top, contradicting the Qur'an with racism and greed. I saw a man named Ali who fought this until he was assassinated and his sons Hussain, Hassan and Abbas had continued to do the same which led me to conclude that Ali and Ahlulbayt were the true successors to the prophet. 

Thanks you for reading my story, I look forward to your answers. 

May God bless you brother! Welcome to the rope of Allah! That which everyone who hold it, shall never go astray.

I really got happy for you after I read this :) 

First of all, do the Sahahada, the testimony of the oneness of Allah, his messenger Muhammad, and Ali the Wali of Allah. 

Here are some of the websites you may need cause the brothers/sisters above provided some of the articles of faith.

https://www.al-islam.org/

http://www.shiapen.com/

etc..

Moreover our pillars:

• Salat (Prayer) – meaning "connection", establish the five daily prayers, called namāz in Persian and Urdu.
  • Sawm (Fasting) – fasting during the holy month of Ramadhan, called rūzeh in Persian.
  • Zakat (Poor-rate) – charity. Zakat means "to purify".
  • Khums ("Fifth" of one's savings) – tax.
  • Hajj (Pilgrimage) – performing the pilgrimage to Mecca.
  • Jihād (Struggle) – struggling to please God. The greater, internal Jihad is the struggle against the evil within one's soul in every aspect of life, called jihād akbār. The lesser, or external, jihad is the struggle against the evil of one's environment in every aspect of life, called jihād asghār. This is not to be mistaken with the common modern misconception that this means "Holy War". Writing the truth (jihād bil qalam "struggle of the pen") and speaking truth in front of an oppressor are also forms of jihād.
  • Commanding what is just.
  • Forbidding what is evil.
  • Tawalla – loving the Ahl al-Bayt and their followers.
  • Tabarra – dissociating oneself from the enemies of the Ahlu l-Bayt.

14 Infallibles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fourteen_Infallibles#List_of_the_Infallibles 

And so on...

I wish you an amazing journey and spiritually entering of the world of the 14 Infallibles, where miracles and extra-ordinaries happen! 

Wassalam :)  

14 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Salam, Brother. How are you doing? I like your username! @Wholehearted Shi'a 

Salam, sister. Thank you for your compliment, I am going well. I have managed to get into contact with the local shi’a population in my local town and have expressed with them my desire to convert to Islam which they were very excited about. What is more interesting is my town has a population of <19,000 people in a rural part of Australia so I was very shocked and happy when I realised we had a small but faithful community. I have spoken with some and they shared stories about their persecution in Afghanistan by the Taliban because most of the population are Hazara refugees who have settled here in my town. It was very difficult to get in contact with them because they have no mosque or centre they usually pray at someone’s home. The only way I found out about them was when a old high school friend got into contact with me upon hearing my interest about shi’a Islam so I am very thankful to her. 

In conclusion all is extremely well. I will regularly keep you and anyone else who is interested updated with significant developments. 

8 hours ago, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

It was very difficult to get in contact with them because they have no mosque or centre they usually pray at someone’s home. The only way I found out about them was when a old high school friend got into contact with me upon hearing my interest about shi’a Islam so I am very thankful to her. 

In conclusion all is extremely well. I will regularly keep you and anyone else who is interested updated with significant developments. 

Alhamdulillah! Your friend did an excellent deed, mashAllah. Please keep us updated. Wishing you all the best in your journey towards Allah. 

14 hours ago, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

[Update #1]

I recited my shahada today and have officially become a shi’a Muslim. I have searched for a religion for a long time and alhamdulillah, he has led me to the path of the Ahlulbayt. I am now being educated more about Shia Islam and the community will assist me in learning salat. 

Congratulations! Welcome to Shia Islam. :) 

On 10/16/2017 at 8:34 AM, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

When I met some Sunni Muslims and asked about Ali and Karbala a event that frequently popped in my research. I was told Shi'a were pagans that believed Ali was a god which these people were my friends so initially I believed them until I researched myself.

I'm amazed that how this part repeats in every conversion story. Yet those who are truly after truth reaches it no matter what resistance they face. 

Congratulations brother, welcome to Sirat al-Mustaqeem (The straight path). 

:salam:

Congratulations! You were guided because you wanted guidance, you wanted the truth. The previous posters have already given you some important tips, information on the wajibaat (obligatory acts) and a hearty welcome :).

I would like to add that this is short and beautiful du'a that we have been recommended to recite reguarly by our 6th Imam (a.s) who says "After this a time of such doubt will befall you that you will be without the visible signs and a guiding Imam. And no one shall be able to achieve salvation from this except those who recite "Dua-e-Ghareeq." - Imam Sadiq (a.s). 

Dua-e-Ghareeq.

image.png.cb282a267b1b5c8b885fb3e68aa0009a.png

TRANSLITERATION:
"YA ALLAHO YA REHMAN YA RAHEEM YA MUQALLEBAL QULOOB SABIT QALBI ALA DEENAIK"
TRANSLATION:
O Allah! O Beneficent! O Merciful.O One who changes the hearts (of people) Give me steadfastness upon Your religion.

https://www.duas.org/imamezaman/ghareek.htm

Please feel welcome to ask us any questions or advice, you are not alone here. We have many converts/reverts on the site. I myself became Shi'a from the Sunni school a few years ago. Best of luck and we look forward to hearing about your further developments.

:ws:

hi congratulations i recommend you to watch shiainthecity channel on youtube that very helpful  for new converts that explains well practical & basics of practicing of Shia Islam & Biskit clips on islamic pulse channel.

& also www.ahlulbayt.tv  & ahlulbayt tv on youtube has great lectures for example enquiries about shia islam & Reborn section

globe.aqr.ir = Imam reza shrine on youtube

www.tatbir.org

but beware of Shirazi cult that their head is Yaser Al Habib that he & his crew Imam Tohidi & Allahyari are a cult titled as Londonian  Shia  & rejecting all shia maraji & have extremist beliefs that insult 3 caliphs of sunnis & Aisha that & supports Tatbir & spreading hatred among muslims that causes genocide of shia around the word Like Pakistan & Iraq.

54 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

but beware of Shirazi cult that their head is Yaser Al Habib that he & his crew Imam Tohidi & Allahyari are a cult titled as Londonian  Shia  & rejecting all shia maraji & have extremist beliefs that insult 3 caliphs of sunnis & Aisha that & supports Tatbir & spreading hatred among muslims that causes genocide of shia around the word Like Pakistan & Iraq.

You better don't tell him what to believe and what not to. He'll search and embrace the truth like he did when he first converted to Islam. This is forcing beliefs down someone's throat and there is no compulsion in religion.

20 hours ago, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

[Update #1]

Welcome to the rope of Allah! :party:

@Sirius_Bright hi i just want to warn him about the traps that may be he confronted not forcing him to accept anything because our duty is to protect each other from dangers & help each other in our path to Allah if my opinion hurts you i apologize from every body that hurts  from that specially you my brother.

Famous people that converting to Shia Islam(Laurn booth sister in-law of Tony Blair & Sean stone the son of Oliver stone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkXSAi7Ykn8

http://www.laurenbooth.org/

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Posts on ShiaChat!

• Did someone miss that Russia actually made a deal with Saudi Arabia and sold them S-400 air defense missile? Don't you get it, these people are playing with the resistance and it is sadness that we buy and ask help from the enemy of Islam. It is us that gonna lose every war that they create, because that is how they make easy money.
    • I live in a burb of Chicago. Population of the Metro Chicago area and it’s surrounding areas = 9.5 mil
    • actually, one such effort done is: (1) Whosoever is an adherent to one of the four Sunni schools (Mathahib) of Islamic jurisprudence (Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi`i and Hanbali), the two Shi’i schools of Islamic jurisprudence (Ja`fari and Zaydi), the Ibadi school of Islamic jurisprudence and the Thahiri school of Islamic jurisprudence, is a Muslim. http://ammanmessage.com/the-three-points-of-the-amman-message-v-1/ but extreme wahhabis reject this. let's not be extremists like them. i remember, during 2003 invasion of iraq, thousands of gi joes died. today, the modern jihadists are their foot soldiers. how to prevent this (being foot soldiers for US or some other entities) from repeating itself in future? 1. spread the fact that shiism is not majoosi/jewish creation. 2. while not belittling others, shiism has strong evidence to be the islam  propagated by the Prophet, preserved through His Ahu Bayt as. 3. let's race towards good deeds - you don't have time to throw stones during a 100m dash, do you?
    • Looking at anyone who is not your partner in marriage - with lust - is haram.
    • Al-Salamu Alaykum This is what you should do if you found a lost item: Question: Suppose that Muslim, residing in a non-Muslim country finds a suitcase (full of clothes) with or without the owner’s nametag on it. What should he do with it? Answer: A suitcase of personal belongings normally has the nametag through which the owner can be contacted. If he knows that it belongs to a Muslim or a non-Muslim whose property is sacrosanct (or even if there is a likelihood —a considerable likelihood— [that it belongs to a non-Muslim whose property is sacrosanct]), it is necessary for him to announce it for one whole year that he has found that item [so that the owner can come forward and claim it]. If he cannot find the owner [even after the lapse of one year], he should, based on obligatory precaution, give it in charity. However, if he knows that it belongs to a non-Muslim, it is permissible for him to keep it provided that he is not legally bound to announce what he finds in that country or to hand it over to the authorities, etc. (1) In the latter case, he is not allowed to take possession of it; rather it is compulsory on him to act in accordance with the legal undertaking. Question: If I find an item in a European country without any distinctive sign on it [identifying the owner], is it permissible for me to keep it? Answer: If it has no distinctive sign by which one can contact the owner, it is permissible for you to keep it except in the case [of the legal undertaking] mentioned earlier. Source:  http://www.sistani.org/english/book/46/2057/