The Light

Can certain sins erase all your good deeds?

Rate this topic

:bismillah:

:salam:

Just like good deeds and repentance cleans one from sins. Is it true the other way around, that certain sins can wipe out all good deeds?

For instance,  I heard a lecturer say that if a muslim is going through trials in their life and if they complain about their situation by saying, "Why me?" or "Why is God making me suffer?", Allahسُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, will wipe out all their good deeds and will no longer try them, because he/she failed the test. This is just an example, I've heard, but I'm not sure of anything else. 

Is this true? Cause it sure is frightening and it kinda makes me feel that, if someone like me can ever be successful in religion. 

Imam Ja-far as-sadiq (as) -

He continued:  “Strive more to perform good deeds. However if you cannot perform a good act (at least) do not disobey (the commands of Allah). Because if one lays the foundation of a building and does not spoil it, then, even if the progress is slow, the building will definitely rise. (Conversely) The person who lays the foundation and at the same time spoils it, then it is sure that the walls of this building will never be raised.”

Consequently, it is more desirable to focus on staying away from bad deeds then performing good deeds. As staying away from bad deeds and that which is prohibited is a good deed in itself. Note: not reciting salah would be counted as a 'bad deed' not as 'giving up good deeds' as salah is wajib and it is prohibited to abandon it. 

overall, so long as you refrain from greater sins, your effort towards good deeds shall not go to waste. I reccommend book called 'Greater sins' if you want more information regarding that. 

Another point to make is the Prophet and Imams are willing to intercede for the sinners among there ummah. Provided you should atleast repent for your sins and feel bad regarding them (+try not to commit the act again ) 

In the end, Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى is ar-rahman and raheem. 

Edited by Hameedeh
Excessively large fonts (size 16-72) may be reduced to a standard size (12-14) by a Moderator.