Rate this topic

:salam:

one year ago, I got Khula Talaq. At the time of my marriage, my in-laws gave me a gold necklace. My ex husband said he wanted it back. At the time of my Khula, Maulana asked me if I am willing to give that necklace back and I mentioned: yes, I will give it back. At that time, I was thinking my ex husband will be back in few months and he will be banging on my door asking for necklace and I will give it to him. But it has been a year, he is in Pakistan and I am not sure if he is planning to come back or not. Is it my responsibility to send necklace to him in Pakistan? He has asked about it through email. I just don't want to contact him.

He has done a second marriage, he even has a kid but he doesn't want to admit it. I am just scared because when I spent $1000 on his visa processing, my family always reminded of it as a sign of my love. They won't understand the concept of fulfilling a promise, they are still trying to convince me to go back to him. If I send him that necklace, this good deed will come back to haunt me. Both my ex and my family will take it as a 'sign' of my 'love'.

I have decided that I will just create a will and I will mention in the will that necklace needs to go to my ex husband. And then I will just forget about it. Am I right? My ex husband is the kind of person that if you do a favor to him, he attacks you. This is not a favor but he will take it as a favor. 

17 minutes ago, rkazmi33 said:

Is it my responsibility to send necklace to him in Pakistan?

Salam, Sister. Never, I repeat never, send anything of value through the post office or a shipping company. Your ex-husband might tell you that he did not receive it and who knows, someone else might intercept the package and not tell him that it came. He or his proxy should come to where you are located and get the gold necklace in person, and before you give it to him or his proxy, you should get a signature on a document from him/his proxy that acknowledges that he/proxy received the gold necklace. That way if anyone or a court asks for proof that you gave him/proxy the gold necklace, you can show the receipt that you gave it to him/proxy. 

1 hour ago, Hameedeh said:

Salam, Sister. Never, I repeat never, send anything of value through the post office or a shipping company. Your ex-husband might tell you that he did not receive it and who knows, someone else might intercept the package and not tell him that it came. He or his proxy should come to where you are located and get the gold necklace in person, and before you give it to him or his proxy, you should get a signature on a document from him/his proxy that acknowledges that he/proxy received the gold necklace. That way if anyone or a court asks for proof that you gave him/proxy the gold necklace, you can show the receipt that you gave it to him/proxy. 

Thank you Sis Hameedeh! I was in fact planning to send it through mail but you are right, it will create new problems.