Guest Guest

Whey protein powder, please help

Rate this question

Question

Guest Guest

Salam, i was just wondering if it is halal to consume the whey protein from optimum nutrition since I've emailed them about the ingredients and as to any alcohol being used in it and they said that alcohol is used in the making of this protein powder but i assume since its powder its very little?

also if anyone here uses that product 

10 answers to this question

you don't need protein powder unless you cannot hit your daily limit. If I try, which I do not anymore, I could consume 2000calories/carbs and 100grams of protein in 4 meals per day, without shakes.

Also what you need is whey isolate without anything else mixed in it.

It's not the same type of alcohol. For instance, the alcohol of a beer is najis, and even if you drink a 0,000000%  alcohol beer, it is still haraam because it has undergone a proccess in which it has become najis and forbidden to consume.

It's not the same with elixirs (Arabic word btw, with Indian origins), where there may be a little amount of alcohol and still be used. If the alcohol is pure and present in very small quantity, there should be no problem assuming there are no other possible haraam ingredients there. I would still ask my marja though, as back in the day I asked the same but for elixirs, which is for medical uses. Maybe your case is different, I can't nor should compare.

Edited by Bakir

On 10/15/2017 at 4:05 PM, SeekingHeaven said:ugo Boss

i just want to know if this protein is halal since it contains alcohol as an ingredient 

Salam. Welcome to ShiaChat. :) If you read the label on the container of the whey protein, it should tell you the ingredients. Normally alcohol is not an ingredient in whey protein. Is it possible the vanilla flavor in the protein powder was made with alcohol? 

On 10/14/2017 at 1:05 PM, monad said:

Also what you need is whey isolate without anything else mixed in it

google it. They have different flavour and the ingredients differ each time.

Gold Standard 100% Whey -  Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolates* [Contains Emulsifier: Soy Lecithin], Whey Protein Concentrate*, Whey Peptides*), Fat-Reduced Cocoa Powder, Flavorings, Creamer (Vegetable Oil, Maltodextrin, Milk Protein), Salt, Sweeteners (Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium), Thickner (Cellulose Gel), Enzyme Complex (Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Beta-D-Galactosidase, Lipase).

Whey isolate - Unflavoured: Whey Protein Isolate (Milk) (100%), Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin)

Sucralose is a calorie-free artificial sweetener derived from sucrose and is up to 650 times sweeter than sugar.

https://draxe.com/maltodextrin/

although maltodextrin - sucralose is in almost all junk food, hence why we all get fat easily.

Edited by monad

On 10/14/2017 at 7:43 AM, Guest Guest said:

Salam, i was just wondering if it is halal to consume the whey protein from optimum nutrition since I've emailed them about the ingredients and as to any alcohol being used in it and they said that alcohol is used in the making of this protein powder but i assume since its powder its very little?

also if anyone here uses that product 

looks like this needed A answer and here I am. Whey does not have any alcohol whatsoever nor do they make their products by animals. It is by plants mostly.

According to google search:

"Protein powders come in various forms. The three common ones are whey, soy, and casein protein. “Whey is the most commonly used, because it's a water-soluble milk protein,” says Peter Horvath, PhD, associate professor in the department of exercise and nutrition sciences at the State University of New York at Buffalo."

Now you're concern about the alcohol. Lets me break down ingredients for you.

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Lecithin, Salt, Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin, Modified Food Starch, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Tocopherols), Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Lactase.

most of these ingredients are fancy words for milk and sugar and how they are formed. 

I hope I helped. If you need any help feel free to message me anytime.

Salam,

I know that this is not what your asking about, but I could not help but to reply since I thought you should be warned against ingesting known poisons. When I was younger I had this idea that taking Whey and other protein powders would make me big and strong. I went to a vitamin store to purchase the same protein powder that you mentioned Whey Protein sold by Optimum Nutrition, and I thank God that my father stopped me from making one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Years later I came to find out that Protein Powder and supplements in general are not what they appear to be and that the majority are full of harmful ingredients. Below are some youtube videos that might convince you otherwise. I suggest you research protein powders and supplements yourself to open your eyes to the negative effects they can have on the human body. Also when purchasing anything make sure to research some of the unfamiliar ingredients, and you'll be surprised what a simple google result will turn up. Based on what i have read related to the widespread contamination of supplements I would consider them dangerous, and would caution you to stay as far away from them as possible. I believe you can benefit more from eating foods that contain protein such as USDA Organic Peanut butter, USDA Organic Chia Seeds and Broccoli to name a few. Always remember to eat as organic as possible and avoid wheat and processed white sugar. You'll be amazed at how much healthier you will feel when you cut all processed foods. Whether they are organic or nonorganic processed foods will keep you fat for the rest of your life. Anyway if you still decide to take a protein supplement I would look into Nutiva's hemp protein since it seems like a healthier option. Remember just because something is popular doesn't make it right. After watching the below videos I'd like to hear if you are still interested in ingesting the poison. I mean Protein. 

Thank You

After further research I have found that it's imperative to make sure that if you take protein powder that it's certified organic because if it's not certified organic it's not worth putting into your body. Remember just because it's organic doesn't mean it's safe to consume. Google the product itself and the ingredients listed to make sure of it's safety, and watch as many reviews of the product as possible to make sure that others have not found any faults with the product.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8CQNrzpgf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Orop-VM9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwpVDXZqq24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O-ehIkwGME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7j6K0S8pb4

On 11/7/2017 at 4:05 PM, LadyNadine said:

looks like this needed A answer and here I am. Whey does not have any alcohol whatsoever nor do they make their products by animals. It is by plants mostly.

According to google search:

Now you're concern about the alcohol. Lets me break down ingredients for you.

most of these ingredients are fancy words for milk and sugar and how they are formed. 

I hope I helped. If you need any help feel free to message me anytime.

But i had spoken to them and they confirmed it for me that it does contain alcohol in the flavoring but they couldnt tell me what type it is for some reason

Do you take whey? what brand

8 hours ago, SeekingHeaven said:

But i had spoken to them and they confirmed it for me that it does contain alcohol in the flavoring but they couldnt tell me what type it is for some reason

Do you take whey? what brand

I do. Golden gym and ON. Sometimes they give it fancy names. When they say alcohol doesn’t mean alcohol. One of my protein bars I eat said sugar alcohol. I didn’t even take it as the same concept of alcohol but sugar. 

You’re really reading too much of this. I don’t think it is the same concept as alcohol as the one you get drunk from. If it really bothers you, there are Vegan brands out there where you could give it a try. Those are all plant base. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Posts on ShiaChat!

• I was a PhD student in the US, but I never finished my dissertation. I went back into the private sector, which turned out to be a very good idea. What isn't mentioned in this article, is that while students did not have to declare their tuition stipend on their federal taxes, they did have to declare the stipend as income on their state taxes. I had to do this every year, meaning that I DID pay taxes on that.  We will have to see what the final tax bill looks like. This provision might be dropped. 
    • First of all, this entitlement mentality is not going to help you. I am entitled to an explanation. Second, No one owes you and explanation. Its your life, you figure it out. You and I have the same capabilities, by saying prove it to me, You are inherently acknowledging your inferiority/limits. That alone is sufficient for you to stop and reflect. We can point you to stuff, but its you who will make the final decision.  You have limits, you did not create yourself or whats around you, so something/someone did. Since you are a creation, as everything around you and you yourself(physical systems are guided), you must receive guidance. Find that guidance... ذَٰلِكَ الْكِتَابُ لَا رَيْبَ ۛ فِيهِ ۛ هُدًى لِلْمُتَّقِينَ {2} [Shakir 2:2] This Book, there is no doubt in it, is a guide to those who guard (against evil).
      [Pickthal 2:2] This is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those who ward off (evil).
      [Yusufali 2:2] This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear Allah;
    • In Kitab al Tawheed by Sheik Saduq (ra) about the first chapter: The Messenger of Allah (saws) said: "Whoever dies without ascribing a partner to Allah, will enter Heaven regardless of weather he has done good or evil." * * In Bukhari, The Prophet Muhammad (saws) said: "People must suffer the burning of Hell-Fire as a punishment for the sins they committed. Afterwards Allah will admit them to Paradise with His Grace and Mercy. So they will be called al-Jahanamiyyun." ---- This is also from Imam Ali (as) who said: The Prince of Believers, 'Ali, on whom be peace, was asked: Describe death to us. He said: You have, indeed, accidentally come to one who is well informed! It (death) brings to the person dying one of three things - either tidings of perpetual bliss, or of everlasting misery, or fear and dread, or an uncertainty (amrun mubhamun), if he (the dying person) does not know to which section he belongs. Now as for our friend and the follower of our command, he will be the recipient of the good tidings of perpetual bliss; and as for our enemy and one who opposed our claim, he will be given tidings of eternal misery: but one whose affair is doubtful, that is one who does not know his own mind, he is a believer who is prodigal regarding his own affairs (al-mu'amin al-musrif 'ala nafsihi), not knowing what his condition will be. Good comes to him after doubt and dread. Then Allah will never mingle him with our enemies, but will take him out of the Fire by our intercession. So act (righteously) and obey (Allah) and do not rely solely upon yourselves, and do not belittle the punishment of Allah. For verily, he, who does not obtain our intercession except after 300,000 years of Allah's chastisement, is to be counted amongst the wasteful (musrifin) ---- Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (as) said: "Verily, Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, has given the Believers a gurantee." I asked, "What is it?" He replied: "If a Believer professes his faith in Allah's Divinity, Muhammad's Prophethood, and 'Ali's Imamate, and carries out his duties, He guarantees him eternal life in His Presence [jiwar],  I said: "By Allah! This is a blessing with which none of the blessings bestowed upon the sons of Adam, can compare." Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (as) replied, "They have done little but they have enjoyed much."
    • Brother, Have you tried to verify the hadiths with the verses of quran by some research? or  Do you like to reject he authentic hadith like hadith rejecter? The verification of the hadith of the prophet saaw in the light of verses of quran through the research has already been conducted as mentioned in the thread the  link is given below: This efficiently provides  the evidences for confirmation of the fact that the verse of purification covers the prophet saww his daughter, and 12 Imams. ie 14 persons. The saved sect 1 out of 73 as per hadith of the prophet saaw follows his purified progeny. wasalam
    • Yeah man, I'm offended by such ridiculous words of Yasir Qadhi. I finally got an answer as to, why he doesn't believe in Imamah etc