Christianity

Why should I believe in Muhammad over others?

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, andres said:

What I meant is that those pagans had heard stories from the Bible. Oral tradition is not as secure as written, so the stories easily would change. Take the flood story. If I was to rewrite it from memory, it would not be precisely the same as in the Bible. This also happened for the writers of the Torah when they rewrote the Sumeric flood story.

why would they listen to all the stories and twist them? and if they did why so much similarites?

@father,

When people have partial knowledge and someone (especially an affluent, respected, influential person) claims to have advanced knowledge, especially in a society where critical thinking and questioning of authorities are discouraged, and it can be easy to get them to comply.

There were plenty of Jews in Arabia, and there were heretical "christian" sects as well, so biblical and extra-biblical accounts would have been available but not necessarily clearly understood. Also, gnostic gospel writings had been imported with the "christian" sects, so their content (recognized as fraudulent by the churches further north around the Mediterranean) would have been in the mix as well. Voila, you've got a simple, rational context in which Muhammad could very reasonably have known incomplete biblical stories as well as falsehoods. He may not even have needed to twist them. 

By the way, no book can be a miracle in and of itself, because choosing and arranging words in any order is an ability that most humans have (and it doesn't matter that Muhammad was illiterate; Homer was blind, but he composed The Iliad and the Odyssey.)

Also, even if you say that the content of the words in the Qur'an couldn't have been disclosed by a human, you are missing the fact that its content borrows from earlier sources. If this content was revealed by a miracle, the miracle was for the earlier authors, not Muhammad. Certainly not exclusive to him. But like I said, a book isn't a miracle anyway. People can arrange words in any order, regardless of the language. 

On 10/15/2017 at 7:48 AM, Christianity said:

And if Christ had not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.(1 Corinthians 15:16-17).

That is a false statement.

Totally false, illogical and unacceptable.

Firstly, Jesus' teachings would be just as worthy even if he had not resurrected.

And as for people being in their sins, they still are.

Bad people abound everywhere in the world and  always have.

The premise that the sins of some people have been washed away by the Resurrection is just that - a premise.

And a very illogical and unproven one.

21 hours ago, thegoodman81 said:

There were plenty of Jews in Arabia, and there were heretical "christian" sects as well, so biblical and extra-biblical accounts would have been available but not necessarily clearly understood. Also, gnostic gospel writings had been imported with the "christian" sects, so their content (recognized as fraudulent by the churches further north around the Mediterranean) would have been in the mix as well. Voila, you've got a simple, rational context in which Muhammad could very reasonably have known incomplete biblical stories as well as falsehoods. He may not even have needed to twist them. 

By the way, no book can be a miracle in and of itself, because choosing and arranging words in any order is an ability that most humans have (and it doesn't matter that Muhammad was illiterate; Homer was blind, but he composed The Iliad and the Odyssey.)

Also, even if you say that the content of the words in the Qur'an couldn't have been disclosed by a human, you are missing the fact that its content borrows from earlier sources. If this content was revealed by a miracle, the miracle was for the earlier authors, not Muhammad. Certainly not exclusive to him. But like I said, a book isn't a miracle anyway. People can arrange words in any order, regardless of the language. 

I have preety much answered everything, you should read my earlier posts

homer was blind not illeterate

and what about jesus why did he say, you were told to this but now I am telling you to do this, this must have been some changes that is why he told some new things.

On 2017-11-07 at 5:00 PM, Jin Jin said:

and what about jesus why did he say, you were told to this but now I am telling you to do this, this must have been some changes that is why he told some new things.

Not only Jesus changes the religion. The Bible also tell that the religion of the old  Israelites is not exactly the same as the religion of the Jews that followed. Religion changes. Islam has also developed into Shias, Sunnies, Alawites. Only one can be identical with the original. Probably none of the many are. The Quran say (2:106):

"We do not abrogate a verse or cause it to be forgotten except that We bring forth [one] better than it or similar to it. Do you not know that Allah is over all things competent?" 

Abrogations or improved revelations in the Quran were made during a timespan of a few decades only.The Bible was written during a timespan of 1.000 years!. Having this difference in mind, I find it hard to understand why Muslims wonder why some of the teachings of the Bible has changed.

To all Christians here: Read our Holy Qur'an, and you will find that it is, indeed, a Miracle!

It is the Final Word of God!

I reverted from Christianity to Islam, almost three and a half years ago, after I had read The Holy Qur'an!

Once you read The Holy Qur'an, you will realise that Prophet Muhammad (SAW) is the final Prophet, and that The Holy Qur'an, which was given to Prophet Muhammad (SAW) from Allah (God), via the Angel Gabriel, is The True and Final Word of Allah (God)!

For a good English translation of The Holy Qur'an: I recommend Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation (1934).

So I invite you all to Islam!

Shi'i beliefs in the Bible

London Lectures
AUTHOR(S): 

A series of lectures outlining the fundamentals beliefs of Shia Islam present in the Bible, using proof-text method. Topics include Imam Hussain (as), Tragedy of Karbala, the Injeel & the event of Ghadeer.

https://www.al-islam.org/node/13034

Jesus through Shiite Narrations

https://www.al-islam.org/jesus-though-shiite-narrations-mahdi-muntazir-qaim

JESUS%20THROUGH%20SHIITE%20NARRATIONS%20WEB%202.jpg?itok=J-_EPILD

in Jewish religion of today (and before !) and Islam , human child borns without sin. Just in a changed religion called Christianity human child borns with sin. That’s all because of some verses and ideologies [edit] Paul added to bible. Like:

Romans 5:12 “Wherefore as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned. By one man’s disobediance many were made sinners.”(letters of paul to roman, not letters of jesus to roman)

Paul said sin passed on and god was going to put death to children because of parent. The things, that would be called injustice of god. So what is justice of god ? Justice of god is shown down:

Jews don’t accept this, it’s against law of Moses, deut 24:16
“Parents are not to be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their parents; each will die for their own sin.”

Against the word of jesus, Look 5:32 :” i have not come for the righteous , but for the sinners!!” So all of us are not sinful, paul did not pay attention while he was writing those letters.

Torah declared that men like Calev1 and King Josiah2 were faithful throughout their extraordinary lives. Moreover, because of their devotion to their Creator, Abraham and Daniel were the objects of the Almighty’s warm affection as He tenderly referred to Abraham as “My friend,”3 and Daniel, “beloved.”4 These extraordinary men of God did not merit these remarkable superlatives because they believed in Jesus or depended on a blood atonement. Rather, Scripture testified to their faithfulness because of their devotion to God and unyielding obedience to His Torah.

in islam also this is not acceptable, it’s against the word of god, “…No person earns any (sin) except against himself (only), and no bearer of burdens shall bear the burden of another…” (Quran 6:164)

So when sin does not passes on, there is no need for sacrifice, sacrifice story of Jesus is a lie. In Quran god is saying god raised Jesus alive , and another one was made to resemble him to them,and they took that one and killed him. Surah al-nisa 157

Now you know how paul changed christianity.

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
Inappropriate language removed.

6 hours ago, Arminmo said:

In islam also this is not acceptable, it’s against the word of god, “…No person earns any (sin) except against himself (only), and no bearer of burdens shall bear the burden of another…” (Quran 6:164)

Christians do not share your interpretation of Paul. We agree with Quran 6:164.

Paul is talking about the story of Adam disobeying God by eating forbidden fruit from a tree. This myth from Genesis tries to explain why humans are not perfect beings that never will commit sins. Unlike Islam, Christianity and Judaism teaches all humans commit sins. (Prophets also) A newborn child has not yet committed any sins, but will sooner or later do so. 

On 14/10/2017 at 5:50 AM, Christianity said:

Many people have claimed some kind of divine revelation throughout history, so in that respect Muhammad is no unique. I want to know your reasons for choosing Islam over any other religion, and why I should chose it. Why should we believe in Muhammad over Zoroaster, or Buddha, or Mani, or Joseph Smith, or Ellen G. White? How is Muhammad superior to these other "prophets"? How did he prove himself? What makes him unique? 

he wrote the Quran.. 

31 minutes ago, andres said:

Paul is talking about the story of Adam disobeying God by eating forbidden fruit from a tree. This myth from Genesis tries to explain why humans are not perfect beings that never will commit sins. Unlike Islam, Christianity and Judaism teaches all humans commit sins. (Prophets also) A newborn child has not yet committed any sins, but will s

We also consider Jesus pbuh prophet, are you saying he could comit sins

45 minutes ago, andres said:

Muhammed could not write. The Quran was completed after he died. Which year is disputed.

Hi Quran was completed during life time of Prophet Mohammad (pbu) because after him revelation completely stopped but it gathered in this form after him so nobody add or distract anything to it.

1 hour ago, kirtc said:

who told you that?

I dont expect that Muhammed, when he fell ill and died, had time to compile and finish the Quran. More plausible is the story that Zayd ibn Thabit did it when Muhammed was dead. But as long as there are no contemporary records of how and when the compilation took place, the story will remain disputed. 

2 hours ago, father said:

How? He was given birth by a woman, he used to eat drink sleep like every body else?

I have no idea how someone born without a biological father looks like inside. Not how a divinity looks inside either.. Atheists believe Jesus was a normal human with 2 parents, who died on the cross, end of story. We believe he was Divine. 

1 hour ago, andres said:

I have no idea how someone born without a biological father looks like inside. Not how a divinity looks inside either.. Atheists believe Jesus was a normal human with 2 parents, who died on the cross, end of story. We believe he was Divine. 

Adams pbuh was also born without a father, like you said earlier that he eat the forbidden fruit and made a mistake.If he was divine as you call Jesus some form of God how can he die on cross than? He should be eternal everlasting.