Christianity

Why should I believe in Muhammad over others?

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, thegoodman81 said:

@andresI'm glad to see you don't write the Gospels off entirely. I'm glad you agree that the minute details such as what year Jesus was born don't affect any doctrine. But why would you go so far as to presume that the miracles reported were mythical? The miracles throughout the Bible do affect the core truth of Christianity. How do you, as a confessing Christian, justify throwing out the miraculous intervention of God throughout human history? 

Please don't read that in an angry tone, I am genuinely perplexed at how or why one would be a Christian without believing the Bible at face value regarding miracles. 

I am not saying the miracles all were myths. Just saying that the birth stories are myths. There are many good reasons for this conclusion, I mentioned some. You do not have to agree. Fundamentalists dont.  When Mathew writes:

"But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Then after being warned by God in a dream, he left for the regions of Galilee, and came and lived in a city called Nazareth. This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophets: "He shall be called a Nazarene.""

...liberal Christiand understand this to mean Josef did not live in Nazareth before. But never mind.

On 10/20/2017 at 10:31 AM, thegoodman81 said:

Okay, as long as you are aware! Obviously I'm new here, and I suppose it's obvious now that I have a much more conservative view. In fact, my view is much closer to what the Qur'an espouses in 5:47. Namely, that the Injeel is trustworthy enough that it should be the basis by which Christians make their judgements and decisions.

The Quran never say, but Muslims believe all Israeli prophets  preached the same religion as Muhammed did. The Bible obviously dont, so the conclusion that it is corrupted is logical. The injeel is the original message of Jesus. It is now lost.

On 10/20/2017 at 4:53 PM, thegoodman81 said:

@Kazemi, so you are saying that God's words can be changed by mere humans?????? I thought you were a Muslim! Allah's words cannot be corrupted. You know that. 

سبحان الله

Qaf,

By the Severe and the Forgiving,

Severe in punishment,

Forgiving in repentance,

By the time,

Which shall stop by His command,

The Ummah of Musa and Isa,

Have corrupted the Injeel and Torah,

For wealth which they desire,

And by the time,

Which shall stop by His command,

The Ummah have forgotten the original Divine message.

“And if they had kept up the Taurat and the Injeel and that which was revealed to them from their Lord, they would certainly have eaten from above them and from beneath their feet there is a party of them keeping to the moderate course, and (as for) most of them, evil is that which they do”

Al-Qur’an Al-Kareem,

Surah al-Ma’idah,

Verse 66

26 minutes ago, thegoodman81 said:

@Kazemi, so you are saying that God's words can be changed by mere humans?????? I thought you were a Muslim! Allah's words cannot be corrupted. You know that. 

Wrong. All Muslims believe the Bible is the corrupted word of God. 

On 10/18/2017 at 9:29 PM, just a muslim said:

why do you believe that the christ was raised? or rather died and then raised?

Well, I refer you to what is known as the 'strong case for the resurrection', and there is indeed a rather strong case from a purely historical perspective. Though yes, technically history cannot affirm or deny Christ rose from the dead, it does however provide strong evidence for it in my opinion, evidence that cannot simply be overlooked. 

I understand one of the persons in this video has been notably hostile towards Islam, but it is not about him, here he is speaking to a notable and well respected New Testament scholar and historian. This video really just scratches the surface of the whole subject at hand.

3 hours ago, thegoodman81 said:

His words itself cannot change, but the book can. Men in the past took the holy books, and rearranged the words, placed in new words to fit their needs and desires, and now, the books are almost completely different.

On 10/20/2017 at 5:07 PM, andres said:

The Quran never say, but Muslims believe all Israeli prophets  preached the same religion as Muhammed did. The Bible obviously dont, so the conclusion that it is corrupted is logical. The injeel is the original message of Jesus. It is now lost.

Then by what basis do you consider yourself to be a Christian??? I don't understand you at all, friend. 

2 minutes ago, thegoodman81 said:

Then by what basis do you consider yourself to be a Christian??? I don't understand you at all, friend. 

No, he's not saying he believes that, he's explaining to you what Muslims believe. 

On 10/20/2017 at 7:57 PM, Hussaini624 said:

His words itself cannot change, but the book can. Men in the past took the holy books, and rearranged the words, placed in new words to fit their needs and desires, and now, the books are almost completely different.

The words are contained only within the books. That's where the words were stored. The Muslim claim is that God revealed the Injeel... and then it was immediately corrupted or lost (by accident or intentionally). If the words of God are made unavailable to mankind, that is a change to the words, friend! 

8 hours ago, thegoodman81 said:

Ah, I missed that. Thanks for clarifying!! My apologies, @andres. Sorry I didn't read carefully enough, I'm sick and a bit groggy this evening. 

It`s OK. 

I think he greatest fundamental difference between the Bible and the Quran may be that while the Quran say all Jewish Prophets were Muslims bringing the same message as did Muhammed, the Christian Bible tell a 1.000 year long story of a religion developing from Paganism through Judaism ending in Christianity. That God in this way has changed the rules may be troubblesome to some of us. The Quranic view in many ways seem more safe and simple, and if you believe the Quran is the infallible word of God, which most Muslims do, you can easily disregard all Biblical, archeological and historical evidences. I dont, but I do not expect those sources to be infallible either. 

On 10/20/2017 at 10:34 AM, thegoodman81 said:

@M.IB, can you please provide a verse reference for the quotation in the image you put up? I've read the whole Bible several times, haven't seen Ahmad in there yet! So naturally I'm skeptical about that translation. 

Those were in Isaiah 42 dead sea scrolls. In Hebrew:

Translate this אחמד

Name Ahmed was found here:  

ahmed_in_dead_sea_scrolls.jpg

Download the video here if you are interested :) 

http://www.answering-christianity.com/ahmad_in_dead_sea_scrolls.wmv

20 hours ago, Hussaini624 said:

Salam Alaikum.

What is the significance of the Quran mentioning the word 'day' 365 times? The Hijri calendar only has 360 days, right? So why did the Quran use the Christian calendar?

Thanks

Allah knows best. The Quran subtly uses both calendars in Surat al-Kahf verse 25 when it says that the Sleepers of the Cave slept for "300 years plus 9" instead of just "309 years". This may be because 300 solar years = 309 lunar years. It's noteworthy that the Persians also used a solar calendar where there were 365 days in a year.

@@M.IB, I looked into it. You've been mislead. The Hebrew word there is "אתמך," not "אחמד." Notice the subtle differences in the third character (namely, the serifs). The word Ahmed is not found there in the Bible. 

I did watch the video, it is making ENORMOUS assumptions, and all from a VERY grainy image.  

I know Muslims probably assume this was changed by Jewish scribes to be "whom I uphold" rather than "Ahmad" because that fits the Islamic narrative nicely. However, there are some very obvious logical problems with this assertiin

1 - if you read the Old Testament, it portrays the Israelites as consistently terrible and faithless in their obedience to God. If the Jews were to want to change anything, they would have cleaned it up to make themselves look better. That would have been priority one. Since they were not willing to do even that, what possible motive would they have for cutting out a name?

2 - Note, the name of Cyrus was mentioned hundreds of years before his birth, and it was not removed. You would need to find a logical reason that the Israelites would leave Cyrus but cut Ahmad, that would also take into account their demonstrated fidelity to preserving the text to their own detriment  (see 1)

3 - The servant is discussed and described elsewhere. Nowhere else does it utilize the same terminology  (Ahmad or the one I uphold). If the phrase is "whom I uphold," it makes sense that it only appears here because the servant is continually described in different ways. If it were a name, it seems likely that it would have been repeated to assure us that the servant discussed here is the same as discussed elsewhere.

thoughts?

2 - 

On 10/13/2017 at 10:50 PM, Christianity said:

Many people have claimed some kind of divine revelation throughout history, so in that respect Muhammad is no unique. I want to know your reasons for choosing Islam over any other religion, and why I should chose it. Why should we believe in Muhammad over Zoroaster, or Buddha, or Mani, or Joseph Smith, or Ellen G. White? How is Muhammad superior to these other "prophets"? How did he prove himself? What makes him unique? 

Jeremiah 51:33  Arabia has not yet met its threshold, and the time of her harvest shall come. [1]

Jeremiah 31:31 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.

Isaiah 41:8-13: GOD Almighty assures the House of Jacob that they are still loved and chosen by GOD Almighty.  “Do not be afraid (of this Servant).”  Never was this said to an Israelite Prophet.  THE ENTIRE HOUSE OF JACOB were commanded to not be afraid of him, because he will be a NON-ISRAELITE Prophet.

islam is a complete religion 

1. Islam is a religion of peace

Islam comes from the Arabic word salama, salima and aslama.

Salama- peace and harmoni

Salima – original or authentic.

Aslama – submitting to the will of Allah SWT.

Islam is the original religion that gives Muslims peace of mind and requires us to submit to the will of God. Besides man, all creations of Allah SWT submit to the will of Allah.

Allah SWT is always  there to help us and He says:

{وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُوا لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُوا بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ}

'Translation' {And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright.}  [Al-Baqarah 2:186] .

Once  we ask Allah SWT for help, know that Allah knows best what is good or bad  for us [Al Baqarah 2:216] , have trust in Allah SWT [Al Imran 3:160] . Rest the problem with Allah SWT and as such we can achieve peace of mind.

2. Islam is the oldest religion.

Islam began with the creation of Adam. Adam and Eve commited a sin and Allah SWT forgave them. Then Allah SWT sent a messenger to each race [Al Imran 3:19] to inform them the one message that is worship Allah SWT alone. All the messengers were Muslims for they all submit to the will of Allah SWT and He says:

{قُلْ آمَنَّا بِاللَّهِ وَمَا أُنْزِلَ عَلَيْنَا وَمَا أُنْزِلَ عَلَى إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْمَاعِيلَ وَإِسْحَاقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ وَالْأَسْبَاطِ وَمَا أُوتِيَ مُوسَى وَعِيسَى وَالنَّبِيُّونَ مِنْ رَبِّهِمْ لَا نُفَرِّقُ بَيْنَ أَحَدٍ مِنْهُمْ وَنَحْنُ لَهُ مُسْلِمُونَ}

'translation' {Say (O Muhammad SAW): "We believe in Allâh and in what has been sent down to us, and what was sent down to Ibrâhim (Abraham), Ismâ'il (Ishmael), Ishâque (Isaac), Ya'qûb (Jacob) and Al-Asbât [the twelve sons of Ya'qûb (Jacob)] and what was given to Mûsa (Moses), 'Iesa (Jesus) and the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between one another among them and to Him (Allâh) we have submitted (in Islâm).}[Al Imran 3:84] .

Prophet Muhammad was sent as the last Prophet and final Prophet. [Al-Ahzab 33:40]. Then Allah said in Surat Al Maidah:

{الْيَوْمَ أَكْمَلْتُ لَكُمْ دِينَكُمْ وَأَتْمَمْتُ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعْمَتِي وَرَضِيتُ لَكُمُ الْإِسْلَامَ دِينًا فَمَنِ اضْطُرَّ فِي مَخْمَصَةٍ غَيْرَ مُتَجَانِفٍ لِإِثْمٍ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ}

'translation' {...This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islâm as your religion. But as for him who is forced by severe hunger, with no inclination to sin (such can eat these above-mentioned meats), then surely, Allâh is Oft­Forgiving, Most Merciful.} [Al-Ma`ida 5:3]

3. Allah SWT is All-Merciful and forgives all sins except making partners with Allah SWT (syirik).  [An Nisa 4:48]

We should worship only one God and only Allah is worthy of worship. [Taha 20:14]. Allah is the Arabic world for God, the only one and Supreme God. If there are more than one God, the function of the Heaven and the Earth would have failed. [ Al Anbiaya 21:22].With many Gods, they would surely find a way to dethrone the Master of the Throne. [Israa 17:42]

Allah SWT does not punish all disbelievers until those who are shown the right path continue to disbelieve and then they will be cast into Hell. [An  Nisa 4:115] Allah SWT is All-Merciful for He will never punish until a messenger is sent to provide guidance and warning. [Israa 17:15].

4. The concept of punishment in the next world, Heaven and Hell  deters man from doing bad and encourage doing good. [Al Hashr 59:18].

5. Islam is a way of life. Allah SWT sent down Al Qur’an to guide us to the right path in this world and the next world.

Quran confirms other Books. [Yunus 10:37; Al Imran 3:3]

6. Allah SWT  invites man to embrace Islam.

“If you do not accept the challenge (to come up with 10 Surah similar fabricated chapters) know that Quran is sent down with the knowledge and power of Allah and none has the right to worship except Him. So do you still embrace Islam or not? [ Hud 11:13-14]

7. The only religion that is accepted by Allah is Islam. [Al  Imran 3:85]

Indeed the only religion with Allah is Islam.[Al Imran 3:19].

8. Islam is a universal religion. [Al-'Anbyā' 21:107]

Prophet Muhammad  Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him is sent to convey glad tidings and warner to all mankind. [Al-Ahzab 45-47]

9. Islam  gives solution to every problem.

Islam prescribes a solution for each world problem, for example:

Zakat –eradicates poverty [at-Taubah 9:71] and protects the society from crimes and social class clashes.

Hudud – discourage man to commit crimes [al-Maidah 5:38].

Wasiat – distribution of wealth to heirs after death with fairness.

Allah SWT has prescribed prayer for man to prevent man from forbidden activities. [Ankabut  29:45]

10. With Muslim who has knowledge of Islam will find Islam an easy religion.

Allah SWT has not put any hardshipon us. [Al Baqarah 2:185; Al Hajj 22:78]

Allah SWT  provides exceptions to His commands for example; the sick and pregnant women who are not fit to fast may choose not to fast in the month of Ramadan and replace the fasting at a later tiime, prayer can be shorten for travellers, only those who have wealth needs to pay zakat and Haji is compulsory only for those who can afford. These are some examples to name a few.

there was a reason HE saw could win in the battles in badar and uhad.in mubahila he attained the respect of christians 

Perhaps other religions do not answer the big questions of life, such as "Who made us?" and "Why are we here?" Perhaps other religions do not reconcile the injustices of life with a fair and just Creator. Perhaps we find hypocrisy in the clergy, untenable tenets of faith in the canon, or corruption in the scripture. Whatever the reason, we perceive shortcomings in the religions of our exposure, and look elsewhere. And the ultimate "elsewhere" is Islam.

Sure, previous religions have been corrupted, and that is why we have a chain of revelation. Ask yourself: why would God send another revelation if the preceding scriptures were still pure? Only if preceding scriptures were corrupted would God need to send another revelation, to keep mankind on the straight path of His design.

So we should expect preceding scriptures to be corrupted, and we should expect the final revelation to be pure and unadulterated. If impure, it too is due to be replaced, for we cannot imagine a loving God leaving us astray. What we can imagine is God giving us a scripture, and men corrupting it; God giving us another scripture, and men corrupting it again … and again, and again. Until God sends a final revelation which He promises to preserve until the end of time.

Muslims consider this final revelation to be the Holy Quran. You consider it worth looking into

4 hours ago, andres said:
11 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

What does Roamin' Catholic mean?

It means " wandering"...a play on words from " Roman". Because I sometimes travel.

Thinking of changing it to " mackerel snapper", the old American derogatory for a Catholic. Lol.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:20 AM, father said:

Perhaps other religions do not answer the big questions of life, such as "Who made us?" and "Why are we here?" Perhaps other religions do not reconcile the injustices of life with a fair and just Creator. 

Actually, most religions do just that. You should study them sometimes. 

On 10/21/2017 at 10:20 AM, father said:

Sure, previous religions have been corrupted, and that is why we have a chain of revelation. Ask yourself: why would God send another revelation if the preceding scriptures were still pure? Only if preceding scriptures were corrupted would God need to send another revelation, to keep mankind on the straight path of His design.

By this logic, we should all be Ba'hai, Mormons, or maybe Scientologists.

It seems there is a new " revelation" from God every other week on this planet.

Some of us think our Scriptures are absolutely fine.

1 hour ago, LeftCoastMom said:

By this logic, we should all be Ba'hai, Mormons, or maybe Scientologists.

It seems there is a new " revelation" from God every other week on this planet.

Some of us think our Scriptures are absolutely fine.

islam was spread through many many years revelations which were than collected and arranged