Azaad1990

Do Shias believe in Sahih Hadeeth books?

Rate this topic

Assalaamu Alaikum brothers,

I´m an outsider who´s here to understand and to study your beliefs a bit. If I ever come across as an ignorant or a troll, please chide me and remind me that I´m hurting your sentiment or disrespecting your beliefs. Regardless, let me move on to my question.

Do Shias believe in the Sahih Hadeeth books (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Sunan Abu Dawood, Muwatta etc.) that others do? Depending on the answer, are they overlooked completely whilst forming your beliefs, or are some of them accepted selectively? I was under the impression that you accept Ahadeeth from those collections which are only narrated by the Ahl-ul-Bayt, is it right?

Ma Salamah.

:bismillah:

:ws:

In general, Shi'as do not believe in the concept of a completely authenthic - or sahih - book of hadith as a whole. Specifically with regard to the sihah sitta which our Sunni brothers believe in, our position is the same. We do not believe any book of hadith is 100% accurate.

Moreover, we do not also partially accept them and they are, more or less, completely rejected in terms of their authority to act as a hujjah or proof on a Shi'a. That is to say, if one of these books has a specific narration of event recorded in it, which for example say X is wajib, we would not be obligated to do X action. We may look at them as auxiliary sources of information in providing a historical context of the era or as a tool in our discussion with Sunnis but they are not binding proof for us personally. We may also choose to accept something recorded in them if it corresponds with our own texts and does not contradict them or the Qur'an.

There are several reasons for this. The first and foremost is the intellectual argument, which necessitates caution when faced with a supposition that a book compiled and collected by a human is 100% accurate. Only the Qur'an can be found to be true to that standard and even that is only due to Allah (SWT)'s own promise that He will protect His Word.

The second is ilm al rijal  as Sunni narrators of hadith are obviously looked at with a certain degree of scrutiny by Shi'a scholars - and the same is true of Shi'a narrators among Sunni scholarship for the most part. Then, there are people like Abu Hurayrah, who is one of the principle narrators of a book like Sahih Bukhari and whose narrations comprised, if I'm not mistaken, 1/3 of that book but there are narrations within the sihah sitta themselves which raise doubts about his credibility, with Aisha calling him a liar. As such, one cannot trust the word of such a man and if a book is largely comprised of narrations by such a man, then it is logically imperative upon us to also treat such a book with a great degree of caution and suspicion.

Lastly, we don't, as I've mentioned before, subscribe to the idea of a sahih book in general. We also have compilations of hadith that are revered above others, and some of these were also written by their authors with the intention of only containing the most reliable of narrations, but Shi'i scholarship in general has rejected the notion of a man-made book being completely devoid of flaw. Even if the author had set out with that intention, and was an individual of great standing, his own personal belief regarding the accuracy of his creation is not an authoritiatve proof upon subsequent generations of scholars. Thus, we accept neither sahih books from the Sunnis nor from the Shi'as. All narrations should generally be checked individually for their chain in order to determine the likelihood of their veracity.

Wa alaikum salaam

We accept hadith that do not contradict the Quran, other accepted hadith, or good sense, and have a reliable chain of narrators. We don't accept books in entirety, though some collections are more reliable than others. 

Edit: actually while I was typing, brother @Khadim uz Zahra gave a much better, more detailed answer than mine. 

Edited by notme

2 hours ago, Azaad1990 said:

Do Shias believe in the Sahih Hadeeth books (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Sunan Abu Dawood, Muwatta etc.) that others do? Depending on the answer, are they overlooked completely whilst forming your beliefs, or are some of them accepted selectively? I was under the impression that you accept Ahadeeth from those collections which are only narrated by the Ahl-ul-Bayt, is it right?

We accept only verified hadith no matter whether they be from Shia books or Sunni books.

Edited by Hameedeh
Long quote was reduced in length.

Our Sunni friends says that Prophet (pbuh) died at the age of 63 therefore, we have history of Hadith of 23 years. That's not the case in our side fortunately. For us Prophet (pbuh) spent more than two hundred years in the world. Surprised? Look we took hadith from the house like the way i describe below:-

Imam Hassan Askari a.s said i heard from his father Imam Ali Naqi (a.s) who heard from his father Imam Muhammad Taqi a.s who heard from his father Imam Ali Raza a.s who from his father Imam Musa Kazim a.s who heard from his father Imam Jafar Sadiq a.s who heard from his father Imam Muhammad Baqir a.s who heard from his father Imam Zainul Abideen a.s who heard from his father Imam Hussain a.s that Prophet (pbuh) said >>>>>>>>

There are very rare chances of forgery or fabrication because we have a golden chain for hadith.

14 hours ago, Aabiss_Shakari said:

Our Sunni friends says that Prophet (pbuh) died at the age of 63 therefore, we have history of Hadith of 23 years. That's not the case in our side fortunately. For us Prophet (pbuh) spent more than two hundred years in the world. Surprised? Look we took hadith from the house like the way i describe below:-

Imam Hassan Askari a.s said i heard from his father Imam Ali Naqi (a.s) who heard from his father Imam Muhammad Taqi a.s who heard from his father Imam Ali Raza a.s who from his father Imam Musa Kazim a.s who heard from his father Imam Jafar Sadiq a.s who heard from his father Imam Muhammad Baqir a.s who heard from his father Imam Zainul Abideen a.s who heard from his father Imam Hussain a.s that Prophet (pbuh) said >>>>>>>>

There are very rare chances of forgery or fabrication because we have a golden chain for hadith.

are you saying you have only 8 years of hadith as compared to the sunni 23 years? bcz hussain a.s was about 8 when the prophet pbuh died. and the later imams obviously didnt fabricate ahadith or narrate it by themselves.

Edited by just a muslim

imam ali inherited the Prophet's knowledge. the following imams inherited the knowledge of the previous imams.

Thus, the sunnah of the Prophet is well-kept with the imams.

but the life story of imam Muhamad Taqi is really fascinating (in fact, all life stories of imams are fascinating). He assumed imamate at the tender age of 7 years old during abbassid caliph al-makmun. Baghdad was the centre of knowledge in the world then.

give it a go. but most probably, you won't find it among sunni literature.