Mohammed-Mehdi

How much water sould we drink per day?

Rate this topic

Islam covers all aspects of life. 

How do we decide how much water we should drink per day ?

I would like to know this from our noble Shia school of thought perspective 

Thanks in advance

May God grant you success

33 minutes ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Islam covers all aspects of life. 

How do we decide how much water we should drink per day ?

I would like to know this from our noble Shia school of thought perspective 

Thanks in advance

May God grant you success

Manners of Drinking Water

Issue 2647: There are certain acts which are Mustahab while drinking water; they are as follows:

(i) Water should be drunk slowly as if it were sucked.

(ii) During daytime, one should drink water while standing.

(iii) One should say Bismillah, before drinking water and Al-hamdulillah after drinking.

(iv) One should drink water in three sips.

(v) One should drink water when one feels thirsty.

(vi) After drinking water, one should remember Imam Husayn (A.S.) and his Ahlul Bayt (A.S.), and curse the enemies who slew him.

Issue 2648: It is unworthy to drink too much water; to drink water after eating fatty food; and to drink water while standing during the night. It is also unworthy to drink water with one's left hand; to drink water from the side of a container which is cracked or chipped off, or from the side of its handle.

Moderator note: I've moved this discussion from the science forum to jurisprudence, since it seems to be asking for hadith and jurisprudence, not science. 

22 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

Manners of Drinking Water

Issue 2647: There are certain acts which are Mustahab while drinking water; they are as follows:

(i) Water should be drunk slowly as if it were sucked.

(ii) During daytime, one should drink water while standing.

(iii) One should say Bismillah, before drinking water and Al-hamdulillah after drinking.

(iv) One should drink water in three sips.

(v) One should drink water when one feels thirsty.

(vi) After drinking water, one should remember Imam Husayn (A.S.) and his Ahlul Bayt (A.S.), and curse the enemies who slew him.

Issue 2648: It is unworthy to drink too much water; to drink water after eating fatty food; and to drink water while standing during the night. It is also unworthy to drink water with one's left hand; to drink water from the side of a container which is cracked or chipped off, or from the side of its handle.

Thank you. 
I still want to learn how to decide how much water we should drink per day. 
Can we follow ideas and what is promoted in the West about this subject ? 

1 hour ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Thank you. 

The other day I was having discussion with my dad. He is a doctor and I told him tat according to science a man should drink around 10 glasses (8oz) of water every day. And he said this is non-sense. Its not really hot here and it should depend on the temperate. So you think people in Antarctica and people in Africa should drink same amount of water? He was like you don't even sweat here. you have AC in your car, house, work. So according to him whenever you feel thirsty you should drink. He said you body know when you need water. If you drink access water its just gonna go right through your body. And to be honest when i drink like almost a gallon of water I pee water man. There is like no uric acid in my urine. And if you have access water in your body you will pee frequently. 

2 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Thank you. 

There is no law that says you can't drink 8-10 glasses of water per day, but it probably is better to follow the Islamic etiquette and drink when you feel thirst, whether it's more or less than the "modern science" rule. As long as you are urinating normally, you are drinking the right amount of water for your body, climate, and lifestyle. Not everyone is going to need the same amount. 

:salam:

I have read than in Japan and other Asian countries, they have the habit of drinking warm water.

That it would prevent cancer.

I even read there is a Persian proverb that says that if cold water does not hurt you when you are young, it will kill you when get old. Is that true ?

Edited by realizm

12 minutes ago, realizm said:

I have read than in Japan and other Asian countries, they have the habit of drinking warm water.

That it would prevent cancer.

The main target is boiled water and not warm water. Chinese pour boiling water into their containers etc. and drink after its drinkable usually luke warm.

YA QAEM A.S ALAJAL

9 hours ago, starlight said:

Clear urine - you are drinking too much water(Overhydration)

Light yellow urine - sufficient water consumption 

Dark yellow urine - dehydration 

Red urine - you need to see a doctor. Unless you've had commercially made paratha/rotis sheermal from India/Pakistan, because they use some nasty colourant which turns urine orangey red.

Edited by Haji 2003
technical correction

5 hours ago, Messam RAza said:

The main target is boiled water and not warm water. Chinese pour boiling water into their containers etc. and drink after its drinkable usually luke warm.

YA QAEM A.S ALAJAL

Thanks for clarifying.

4 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Red urine - you need to see a doctor. Unless you've had commercially made paratha/rotis from India/Pakistan, because they use some nasty colourant which turns urine orangey red.

Or beets, or beet greens.  If you haven't been forewarned I could imagine it being panic inducing.  If you have been warned, it's still shocking.