shadow_of_light

What do you think of Chinese people?

Rate this topic

I dont want to generalize but I have watched the footage of Wang Yue's death and I really cannot understand how those 18 passer-bys could ignore the poor little toddler. A normal human being cannot be such pitiless!

Now, what is your interpretation of this incident? Is it communism that has made these people so indifferent to the suffering of others? But there are other communist countries in the world. They are also very cruel to animals. But what is the cause?

Quran [16:36] " And We certainly sent into every nation a messenger "

Allah has sent a prophet to every country. Including China. I am not generalizing or anything, but the people of China didn't hold on to their prophet's teachings, and whenever this happens, they will go astray. We see other parts of the world who are proud to tell the whole world who their prophet was and what he did etc, but you don't see this at China..

27 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

I dont want to generalize but I have watched the footage of Wang Yue's death and I really cannot understand how those 18 passer-bys could ignore the poor little toddler. A normal human being cannot be such pitiless!

Now, what is your interpretation of this incident? Is it communism that has made these people so indifferent to the suffering of others? But there are other communist countries in the world. They are also very cruel to animals. But what is the cause?

Show us the video. 

@LeftCoastMom probably remembers this.

ln 1973 (l had to look up the year) actor -including as Tarzan- Lex Barker had a heart attack on the streets of NYC. People walked around him, stepped over him, and so forth. l forget how long and couldn't find it on this lnternet but it was like 2 or 3 hours before any "help" was called. Any characterization of that call l never knew. Many thought he was a collapsed drunk.

So such callousness as we see in the Wang Yue video is not uncommon. Sometimes worse -like that girl in Detroit ~25 years ago.

@hasanhhAre you referring to Kitty Genovese case?

As far as the little girl in China, the Chinese themselves wondered about the incident and " lack of Chinese traditional values". It led to them passing previously non -existent" Good Samaritan "laws. One big factor might have been that people who had intervened in situations  in the past in China were sometimes accused and held responsible for causing them when the victims wanted money, and the fines were upheld by some idiot judges, so sometimes people were hesitant to get involved.  (The woman who finally did help the little girl was criticized by some for wanting money or attention). The driver of the van was arrested and convicted of manslaughter and forced to pay hospital expenses. Turns out over there, sometimes the  fine  you pay to the family for a death is less than expenses you pay for injuries, so "it's in your best interests" if the person dies. Blah. Plus, the neighborhood was ,unfortunately, composed of migrants from different parts of China and not the close-knit community you might find elsewhere. ( Shopkeepers in another part of China rushed to the aid of a boy who had been struck by a car.)

So, I don't think this incident is  indicative of "Chinese people". It was a tragic combination of circumstances.

8 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

@hasanhhAre you referring to Kitty Genovese case?

As far as the little girl in China, the Chinese themselves wondered about the incident and " lack of Chinese traditional values". It led to them passing previously non -existent" Good Samaritan "laws. One big factor might have been that people who had intervened in situations  in the past in China were sometimes accused and held responsible for causing them when the victims wanted money, and the fines were upheld by some idiot judges, so sometimes people were hesitant to get involved.  (The woman who finally did help the little girl was criticized by some for wanting money or attention). The driver of the van was arrested and convicted of manslaughter and forced to pay hospital expenses. Turns out over there, sometimes the  fine  you pay to the family for a death is less than expenses you pay for injuries, so "it's in your best interests" if the person dies. Blah. Plus, the neighborhood was ,unfortunately, composed of migrants from different parts of China and not the close-knit community you might find elsewhere. ( Shopkeepers in another part of China rushed to the aid of a boy who had been struck by a car.)

So, I don't think this incident is  indicative of "Chinese people". It was a tragic combination of circumstances.

But they at least could pull her aside or call the police! And there was a 2nd driver who ran over her! Didnt he see her?! They are also very cruel to animals. How can someone hear the painful screams of another creature and continue abusing it?!

7 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

And yes , Communism is a cancer ( and close to Zionism ),
but living in the west we can conclude that these societies are very sick too, in many different ways. 

So do you personally think that communism can make people cruel, selfish and pitiless?

On 10/4/2017 at 8:35 PM, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

(  Every nation has horrible people.

I also believe that we should strive to never assume ,  including about (some of) these passerby's  )

Yes, every country has some horrible people but these people dont gather in the same place and in the same time. I mean they were a random sample of the people not a selected group.

On 10/5/2017 at 4:07 AM, shadow_of_light said:

Yes, every country has some horrible people but these people dont gather in the same place and in the same time. I mean they were a random sample of the people not a selected group.

What do we know about these people ? We should not just assume that they saw the kid hurt on the ground and did not care. Possibly that was the case, but we do not know.

On 10/5/2017 at 3:47 AM, shadow_of_light said:

But they at least could pull her aside or call the police! And there was a 2nd driver who ran over her! Didnt he see her?! They are also very cruel to animals. How can someone hear the painful screams of another creature and continue abusing it?!

Well, your question was " What do you think of Chinese people?". I tried to answer it and give reasons for why these particular Chinese people perhaps acted the way they did . I would hate for any community to be judged on video depicting the worst of its incidents. This video is several years old. The Chinese people and the government were also shocked by it. If it was considered a normal part of their culture, they wouldn't be. They even passed new laws.

As pointed out, there have been similar incidents where people seemed callous to human suffering all over the world, but only a few are caught on tape.

As far as " they are cruel to animals". There are also Anti-Cruelty to Animals groups in China. Again, any nation or culture can be accused of that. There are puppy and kitten "mills "and "factory farms" in the US that are legal and things such as [Rooster]-fighting and dog-fighting which are not but still occur. I don't think fox hunting with hounds has been banned in Northern Ireland yet nor bull fighting in Spain. Canadians run trap-lines for miles in which animals suffer for hours before dying. Etc,etc.

Can these societies be broadly labeled as " cruel to animals"? Why are we singling out the Chinese?