Khomeinist

What does Imam Hussain (as) mean to you?

Today it is 11th of Muharram. After having mourned for Hussain (as) and his loyal companions who have been martyred in the greatest of battles, we have surely been taught something. For around 60 generations we have kept Imam alive. He may not be physically here, but his ideology is day by day being more sound. The more oppressed and corruptive this earth gets, the more we remember Hussain's struggle. We remember the feel Hussain must have had once he realized how the muslims went against him. The feeling of betrayal for worldly pleasures. They swapped gold dimes with a diamond pearl. A person whose face was so pure, it was as if the moon was walking on earth. A person that submitted completely to Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى even though he saw how his family and friends were being martyred. A person who wanted to join the martyrs of Karbala even though it would not affect his position in the view of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى.

Hussain (as), the name that clouds scream when they pour rain upon us. Hussain (as), whose killers will be avenged by the Hujjat-ul-Allah. Hussain (as), who makes every heart with sincerity cry out his name. Hussain (as), who kept sincere and humble manners even during the slaughtering of his family and companions. He was the one who offered water to his enemy while dying of thirst.

What do we learn from Hussain (as)? What do I learn from Hussain (as)?

Hussain (as) remembers me the day Ali ibn Abi Talib (as) was struck with the poisonous sword. It was the famous saying of 'Ali that made the ground of the earth shake:

"By the Lord of the Kaaba, I am successful"

Once Hussain (as) fell on the ground, I always imagine him saying such a line. Some might say, how can they be successful if Allah took their lives? The physical aspects of the Ahl al-Bayt, the 11 Imams might have been killed, but their ideology stands strong. Hussain (as) is remembered every year, every month, every week, every day, every hour, every minute and every second. It is people like Yazeed, Shimr, Omaar ibn Saad - may Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى take away the Prophet's intercession for them - who have lost not only their afterlife, but also their life in this dunya. No one remembers these people nor do they have active shrines. The knowledge of a person stays for eternity. And we thank you for this O' Imams of the Ahl al-Bayt. We thank you O' Messenger of God for leaving us the Qu'ran and your Ahl al-Bayt who will never seperate from each other till they meet you at the Pond.

Hussain (as) also resembles the struggle of the Mahdi (as) for me. Hussain (as), just like his brother and father, stood up against tyranny and injustice. Hussain (as) gave his life to save Islam from changing to that of the Ummayyads. Hussain (as) did not only defeat injustice. He did not only fight tyranny. He actually fought and spread the pure Islam for over 1400 years. Every second that passes, every minute that passes that we dedicate to remembering Hussain (as), we are actually spreading pure Islam. Everytime we introduce Hussain (as) to others, we are spreading Islam. Islam does not get spread by wars. But by tragedies like that of Hussain (as).

We should ask something very important from Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى this 11th of Muharram. Please, if you are reading this. I beg you. For the sake of towheed and Hussain (as)'s struggle. Please, make du'a today to Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى with complete sincerity and humbleness. Make du'a for the reappearance of the Mahdi (as). Please, for once beg Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى and make a promise to stand side by side with the Mahdi (as). Wallahi, if we want to make the Mahdi (as) reappear, we should change our lifestyle and our humbleness to that of Hussain (as). Do not forget Mahdi's (as) pain for over thousand years. Do you think He likes to see the oppression and tyranny? Do you not think he wants to instignate a worldwide Karbala? We must prepare ourselves.

Ya Allah, by the martyrs of Karbala, by the nowadays shohada in the wars against oppression. By the sincere and devoted fuqaha we have today. By the inhabitants of Qom who will rise with our Qa'im. By the people who are sincere and humble towards the Ahl al-Bayt. Ya Allah, even though our hearts and tongues do not always sing together, we ask you forgiveness and ask you your mercy upon our souls. We ask You to bless us with the status of being Shohada on the path of truth. We ask you - even though we do not have the 'ilm al-Ghayb - to hasten the reappearance of the Mahdi (as) for who we want to sacrifice our worthless human souls. On this day, which is one day after the maqtal, we sincerely ask you to grant us the fight against injustice. We have been bearing injustice over justice for over 60 generations. And by day it is getting worse. Ya Allah, do not forget our true intentions and do not forget that we strive to reach the status of true devotees. Ya Allah, make our hearts filled with love and affection towards the Thaqalayn, and please, do not punish our souls by taking away our soft hearts which cry for our beloved Hussain (as). Ya Allah, grants us the Prophet's intercession on the Day of Judgement. We cannot bear your severe punishments. Wa sallalahu 'ala Muhammad wa ale Muhammad.

The saviour of the religion, the master of matyrs. Imam Hussain (a.s) means everything to me, It was through reading about what happened at karbala (Tears & Tributes) that steered me towards the path of the Ahlulbayt (a.s).