Rate this topic

41 minutes ago, forte said:

Not quite.  He is now reported (by his brother) to be a retired accountant who was a multi-millionaire property investor.  Liked gambling and taking vacations with his girlfriend.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/10/02/las-vegas-gunman-shooting-country/

Looks like he wasnt a religious person. Retired, without career driven goals. Gambling with a girlfriend at 64. No wife, no kids. Perhaps no one to love, or to be loved by (except maybe his grandmother who he was not there for during the hurricane).

Unfortunately money cannot buy love. Looks like a textbook example of a sinful life.

59 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Too early to speculate on Paddock's behavior.

There are two things l'd like to know:

1] How did he get all these weapons and ammunition in the hotel?

2] Will the autopsy show he had a stroke(s) or his toxicology report shows mentally destabilizing build-up of chemicals (like from kidney infections). [My father's behavior and thinking changed and changed again after each of his strokes.]

Possibility that he had a brain tumor and was hallucinating? 

Death toll is now 58 people. 

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

2] Will the autopsy show he had a stroke(s) or his toxicology report shows mentally destabilizing build-up of chemicals (like from kidney infections). [My father's behavior and thinking changed and changed again after each of his strokes.]

You are right in that many things can impact our brain, especially we age.  He has no previous on-going history of violent behaviour or interest in guns.

When he was a child, his father was an armed robber who had a violent criminal life and had been diagnosed as a "psychopath".  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/10/02/las-vegas-shooter-dad-10-most-wanted-list/724116001/  

My theory is genetics + environment as a child + aging = instability.  No matter how much you try and distance yourself from your heritage and upbringing, even with schooling and accomplishments, you are always impacted to some degree by your past. This may increase as you age and you find you cannot distract yourself as much as you can when you are younger and more active in your life.  Anyway, he obviously was not doing well mentally. 

Edited by forte

7 hours ago, notme said:

Anyone who would kill random strangers or entire groups of people is obviously deranged. 

Terrorism is defined as a politically motivated attack on non-military target. If we don't know the shooter's motivation, we can't say whether it's terrorism or not. 

There is no universal agreement on the definition of terrorism. What your saying above is gorge bushes definition and it is solely used when the attacker had any association with the religion of Islam in any shape or form.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world defines terrorism as an act of spreading fear and death targeting civilians in particular.

I'd say some guy standing on a balcony with a automatic rifle and spraying it into crowds of people bellow is pretty terrorizing. 

Now let me ask you something, if the killer had been arab, looked arab and had a typical arab name with a bunch of "al-" in between. Would anyone had called it anything other than terrorism?

Even if it was later found that the guy was not religious at all or called himself muslim or anything?

I remember the terror attack in Norway when that derranged white guy shot a bunch of kids, I remember before they found out who he was, how they were calling it a terror attack by muslim and then when they found out he is white they called him a extremist convert and then when they found out his a christian extremist they started to call him a "lone wolf" "crazy guy" "socially handicapped" "an attack" instead of terror attack. The media went completely silent on his extremist ideology because it didnt fit the model of what, rupert murdoch, his likes and the mainstream news wants to project and he went from being a terrorist to being a crazy lonely guy who never fit in and had trouble with girls, because he didnt follow george bushes definition of a terrorist.

Latest example:

What happened in charlottesville: a man "politically motivated" drives into a bunch of people with his car, and they call it an attack, "The charlottesville attack",  or at best, an attack by a white supremacists. This is not terrorism?

Same thing happens in France, guy says his a muslim and looks arab, now its terrorism?

Please, if we muslims cant even be unbiased in our definition of terrorism, then how can we complain when they call us all terrorists?

CVTK-3HWoAAHcLY.jpg

@IbnSina

Not necessarily.

As for Charlottesville,

Apparently there is no such charge as domestic terrorism (only international terrorism) and the term is used only as a descriptor.  http://www.npr.org/2017/08/14/543462676/why-the-govt-cant-bring-terrorism-charges-in-charlottesville

They guy was charged with a hate crime in addition to all the other charges against him so he will probably be put away for years numbering in the triple digits.

As for an Arab extremist,

This guy http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/terrorism-charges-edmonton-attacks-1.4316450  has an Arab name (he is a migrant claiming refugee status from Somalia) and had an ISIS flag in the car that he used to mow down a policeman before jumping out and stabbing him.  He also got a truck and ran over four others.  Despite his rhetoric and extremist ideology he is not being charged with terror related charges.   

14 minutes ago, forte said:

Not necessarily.

As for Charlottesville,

Apparently there is no such charge as domestic terrorism (only international terrorism) and the term is used only as a descriptor.  http://www.npr.org/2017/08/14/543462676/why-the-govt-cant-bring-terrorism-charges-in-charlottesville

They guy was charged with a hate crime in addition to all the other charges against him so he will probably be put away for years numbering in the triple digits.

As for an Arab extremist,

This guy http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/terrorism-charges-edmonton-attacks-1.4316450  has an Arab name (he is claiming refugee status from Somalia) and had an ISIS flag in the car that he used to mow down a policeman before jumping out and stabbing him.  He also got a truck and ran over four others.  Despite his rhetoric and extremist ideology he is not being charged with terror related charges.   

I dont care what they were charged for in US court later on.

You have two ears and when you use them, what do you hear people say? When you heard the news on TV, what did they call it?

What they are in fact doing is creating a public opinion saying that muslims = terrorists and terrorists = muslims.

15 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

I dont care what they were charged for in US court later on.

You have two ears and when you use them, what do you hear people say? When you heard the news on TV, what did they call it?

What they are in fact doing is creating a public opinion saying that muslims = terrorists and terrorists = muslims.

Lots of people have big mouths and try and influence people with their uneducated and moronic opinions.  These opinions gain power when they are repeated by others.  It is best not to repeat them.

I mentioned the Arab refugee in Edmonton, Canada as there has been a big effort from the community to understand his behaviour and the potential impact on the Somali community there.  Everyone came together in a vigil to support the community after this happened, Somali and non Somali alike... in a search for understanding and to maintain a united, safe community for all... please read ... http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/vigil-against-violence-brings-community-together-after-terror-attack  This is the kind of action that needs to be repeated.

Edited by forte

I don't see any presidential orangutans calling for a total ban on all elderly white men coming to the United States until we find out "what the hell is going on." No, releasing a statement defending the right to carry arms is the logical response.

1 hour ago, IbnSina said:

What they are in fact doing is creating a public opinion saying that muslims = terrorists and terrorists = muslims

Man I don't agree with you on this. They have no other option.

The fact is that some Muslims do have this extreme ideology. Many non-Muslims know very well of the extremist Muslim ideology that exists. I'm not gonna act blind and deny this reality. They have every right to call this terrorism. Many Muslims who get recruited by ISIS have assurance that religious scripture justifies their horrible actions. They are ideologically motivated to carry out crimes and kill the kafirs. Yes, they are psycho but believe in extremism. The media outlet will obviously be concerned and call this terrorism. 

How does this imply that every Muslim is a terrorist? Or they have a secret motive of telling the whole world that we believe in extremism?

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

5 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Big rolling gun case if he did it openly. Or he concealed them in luggage if not.

I've seen folks on hunting trips take some serious luggage up to rooms.

Nevada is open carry and likes as few gun laws as possible.

I think the hotels can ask you to leave ( or be charged with trespass only...as all private property owners can) or to lock your weapons in their own safe if they don't like it. Don't know about Mandalay Bay rules.

3 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Latest example:

What happened in charlottesville: a man "politically motivated" drives into a bunch of people with his car, and they call it an attack, "The charlottesville attack",  or at best, an attack by a white supremacists. This is not terrorism?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/13/opinions/charlottesville-act-of-domestic-terrorism-bergen/index.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/charlottesville-terrorism-attack-poll-trump-james-fields-majority-americans-think-domestic-terror-a7898756.html

1 hour ago, IbnSina said:

There you go again with the conclusions, look I really should be ignoring you like Hameedeh told us to but if you haven't put me on ignore yet, stop trying to make everything a conspiracy. This terrorism issue is nothing but our own faults.

Can't blame the non-Muslims taking note of something that we want to ignore or downplay. Must everything have to be a conspiracy?

1 hour ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Can't blame the non-Muslims taking note of something that we want to ignore or downplay.

Idiots like Yasir Qadhi are the perfect example of what I mean.

This is his Facebook post which shows the amount of intellect he posesses. He is more concerned about generalizing rather than offering his condolences. I wonder why he never does the same for Salafi extremists.

' Do you know what #whiteprivilege is?

It is to murder over 50 people and injure 450, only to have authorities claim, within minutes and without any verification, that you are not a terrorist. 

It is to commit the largest mass murder and shooting in recent American history, and be described as a 'retired grandfather'. 

It is to inflict pain and suffering on others, and not have to worry that a single person of your race, or religion, or your women and children, face any backlash for your crime. 

It is to kill (or rape, or loot, or plunder, or colonize...) and get away with it without bringing up irrelevant issues like religion, Scripture, culture, theology or ideology. As of this writing, we still have no idea of the religion and beliefs of the killer. 

It is, essentially, to consider any such incident to be a freak accident, and let life continue without changing any policies, or calling for national dialogues about laws on immigration,  tolerance of others,  gun ownership, cultural differences (such as dress codes), and the list goes on and on. 

PS. This post in no way intends to trivialize the tragic loss of life. My sincerest condolences to the families of the victims in this horrible tragedy. '

-Yasir Qadhi

3 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Possibility that he had a brain tumor and was hallucinating? 

Death toll is now 58 people. 

Later, l thought of that and also this; my one grandfather got a new prescription and later my grandmother asked him who he was talking to (my one uncle and aunt who weren't there). So they called the doctor and he changed the medication and said that the first prescription was known to produce that reaction in some people.

24 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Idiots like Yasir Qadhi are the perfect example of what I mean.

This is his Facebook post which shows the amount of intellect he posesses. He is more concerned about generalizing rather than offering his condolences. I wonder why he never does the same for Salafi extremists.

' Do you know what #whiteprivilege is?

It is to murder over 50 people and injure 450, only to have authorities claim, within minutes and without any verification, that you are not a terrorist. 

It is to commit the largest mass murder and shooting in recent American history, and be described as a 'retired grandfather'. 

It is to inflict pain and suffering on others, and not have to worry that a single person of your race, or religion, or your women and children, face any backlash for your crime. 

It is to kill (or rape, or loot, or plunder, or colonize...) and get away with it without bringing up irrelevant issues like religion, Scripture, culture, theology or ideology. As of this writing, we still have no idea of the religion and beliefs of the killer. 

It is, essentially, to consider any such incident to be a freak accident, and let life continue without changing any policies, or calling for national dialogues about laws on immigration,  tolerance of others,  gun ownership, cultural differences (such as dress codes), and the list goes on and on. 

PS. This post in no way intends to trivialize the tragic loss of life. My sincerest condolences to the families of the victims in this horrible tragedy. '

-Yasir Qadhi

@ali_fatheroforphans Bro, you know what needs to done? A boycott and systematic dismantling of people like Yasir Qadhi and their nonsensical words. The P.S. is the worst part of that spiel, totally generalized and it does trivialize the lives lost. Don't sheikhs learn to think before their speak or write? If you plan to do something about this, I am willing and ready to support you

On 10/2/2017 at 10:21 PM, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Man I don't agree with you on this. They have no other option.

The fact is that some Muslims do have this extreme ideology. Many non-Muslims know very well of the extremist Muslim ideology that exists. I'm not gonna act blind and deny this reality. They have every right to call this terrorism. Many Muslims who get recruited by ISIS have assurance that religious scripture justifies their horrible actions. They are ideologically motivated to carry out crimes and kill the kafirs. Yes, they are psycho but believe in extremism. The media outlet will obviously be concerned and call this terrorism. 

How does this imply that every Muslim is a terrorist? Or they have a secret motive of telling the whole world that we believe in extremism?

Terrorism is terrorism, that is what I am saying.

It does not matter if the guy called himself muslim or not, if its an act of terror, creating terror, then it should clearly be stated as terror.

But when the person who commits terror only gets defined as a terrorist if the has any connection to islam, then that is where the problem lays because it defines the term in a unbiased way with whatever motive you may want to believe in.

I personally DO believe that some people benefit from making all muslims seem like terrorists or people who sympathize with terrorists and fuel hatred.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:37 PM, Gaius I. Caesar said:

There you go again with the conclusions, look I really should be ignoring you like Hameedeh told us to but if you haven't put me on ignore yet, stop trying to make everything a conspiracy. This terrorism issue is nothing but our own faults.

Can't blame the non-Muslims taking note of something that we want to ignore or downplay. Must everything have to be a conspiracy?

We (the shias) are not ignoring extremist ideologies in Islam, in fact we are fighting them where ever they appear, right now in Syria, Iraq and other places and we happen to be the first victim of the extremists.

Meanwhile, the same nations that spew biased news (in my opinion) are the same who do business deals with the mother of "Islamic" extremism, they go and shake hands and smile to the king of saudi. Did the non muslims take notes of that as well?

12 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

I don't see any presidential orangutans calling for a total ban on all elderly white men coming to the United States until we find out "what the hell is going on." 

Lol. No....But that is a common theme in the comments all over social media. Means people are at least aware of the double standards. And I have appreciated that many folks have insisted upon saying that this is the worst massacre in " recent" American history ...for obvious reasons.

On 10/3/2017 at 12:44 AM, IbnSina said:

, they go and shake hands and smile to the king of saudi. Did the non muslims take notes of that as well?

Yes, many are noticing that. It is becoming something of a big deal in conversations now.