Saraharvey

Is it obligatory to attend mosques in muharram?

Asalam Alaykum SC members!

Yesterday evening I attended a mosque with my family. It was very crowdy, noisy and I couldn't hear the scholars' lecture very well. I got a bit sad and angry that people don't have consideration for those who are genuinely there to listen and to learn. Do we really have to attend a mosque and take part in ceremonies in Muharram? I could go to another mosque but I don't know any other here.

Also, since I suffer from social anxiety, it's hard for me to focus on the lectures at the mosques. I have difficulties in with concentration in crowdy places. Is it okay if I do my matam at home and listen to lectures too?

Sara

1 hour ago, Saraharvey said:

Yesterday evening I attended a mosque with my family. It was very crowdy, noisy and I couldn't hear the scholars' lecture very well. I got a bit sad and angry that people don't have consideration for those who are genuinely there to listen and to learn. Do we really have to attend a mosque and take part in ceremonies in Muharram? I could go to another mosque but I don't know any other here.

Also, since I suffer from social anxiety, it's hard for me to focus on the lectures at the mosques. I have difficulties in with concentration in crowdy places. Is it okay if I do my matam at home and listen to lectures too?

Sara

It is not mandatory to go mosque in muharram for mourning. 

Yes you can look for alternative convenient way for mourning. Even watch lectures on TV.

2 hours ago, Saraharvey said:

Sara

It is not obligatory upon a Woman to attend mosques at all. Just remember Husayn (as) at home and avoid watching tv, playing video games, social media. If you are going to post something then post something about Husayn (as). 

Especially tomorrow since tomorrow is Ashura. 

1 hour ago, islam25 said:

It is not mandatory to go mosque in muharram for mourning. 

Yes you can look for alternative convenient way for mourning. Even watch lectures on TV.

Yes, it is not mandatory i.e. wajib.

Yes, it is possible to watch/hear the content of the lectures at home. What you miss, however, is the sense of community and communal grieving and the reinforcement of beliefs when you have more people attending something rather than fewer.

I'd imagine that unless a Shia centre were too far away, it would be good to go, even if there are language difficulties. 

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Saraharvey said:

Sara

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum dear sis Sara,

I also would encourage you to attend majlis at the center.  It might be difficult to do something at first, but when you frequent these places Insh'Allah your feelings of anxiety will diminish.  Please continue to participate your reward is with Allah swt.  Remember every effort you take to attend for the love of Imam Hussain, it is recorded and you will see the effects it does to you.  Ignore the negative you see and see the positive that will come out of it.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah