laylacat

muharram and my thoughts

i wanted to share some of my posts i have written about karbala and the brutalities committed against imam hussain and his followers. 

(1)

During this month do not just remember and weep for Imam Hussein a.s. 

Also remember Hussein's baby sons who died screaming from thirst. Remember how Hussein held up his 6 month old son to show Yazid's army what they were doing to an innocent child, begging them to allow the infant water... and instead they shot three spears into the baby's chest. The youngest martyr. 

Remember Abbas, the flag bearer and children's saviour, struck down and butchered before he could provide the children water. How he would not break his fast and quench his thirst while the children were without water... how even without his arms he would not give in, carrying his mashk in his mouth and crawling toward the children until the army finally killed him. 

Remember Zainab whose young sons were slaughtered and martyred, and remember her bravery, strength and eloquence later in Kufa, Damascus and in Yazid's court. 

Remember young Ruqaya, who was held prisoner by Yazid in a dungeon in Damascus... who cradled the head of her murdered father tightly as she passed away from sheer grief and heartache. 

Remember Qasim son of Hassan who fought for Hussein and for Islam with such bravery and courage for one so young. 

Remember Imam Hassan - because he predicted this sacrifice as detailed in his letter... only an Imam could have known the tragedy that was to come before it even happened. 

Remember Imam Ali and Lady Fatima and our Prophet Mohammad who said 'Hussein is from me and I am from Hussein.'  and who wept on the day of his grandson's birth for he too knew the tragedy that would one day take place.
They watched from above as our Imam was slain and beheaded and rose up to join them in Jannah... and they watched from above as his followers were slaughtered, veils ripped from women's faces, saw the thirst and the blood and the suffering... watched the remaining followers taken prisoner by Yazid and his army. 

Remember the 72 martyrs of Karbala. 
And not just during Muharram... but every day because if they hadn't fought so hard and sacrificed so much, Islam would be dead. May peace be forever upon Hussein and the ahlulbayt and peace be upon all who suffered in Karbala❤❤❤

(2)

http://www.qul.org.au/islamic-occasions/events-of-karbala/39-karbala-in-pictures

found these illustrations depicting the events of karbala - warming some are quite graphic. tried to find better quality images because some are quite pixelated but these were the only ones i could find. 

really helps me to imagine the pain and suffering the imam and the women and followers of ahlulbayt went through on the plains of karbala and on the battlefield on the day of ashura. i know too many shia who don't even know their own history. i know too many sunnis who think they have the right to ignore this period of sorrow and mourning. we can all learn a lesson from the sacrifices made in the month of muharram. this is islamic history and it is so important to know our history whether you are a follower of ahlulbayt or not. i truly believe everyone - shia, sunni and non-muslims should know the story of karbala. 

throughout history the brave people who fought against injustice and oppression have even remarked on the strength shown by imam hussain a.s and have taken inspiration from his actions and sacrifices. non-muslims like ghandi and nelson mandela have been quoted remarking on imam hussain a.s and the events of karbala. if such powerful people can draw inspiration and learn from imam hussain a.s then everyone can. 

i was about to apologise for posting so much about karbala but i'm not even sorry. like i said i believe everyone should learn the story and acknowledge the suffering and pain caused by the utter injustice and unforgiving brutality experienced by the men, women and children during the month of muharram. so if you're reading this maybe you will learn something... we all have to make sacrifices in our lives so when you feel like taking the easy way out remember if imam hussain can sacrifice his life for islam then you can face every hardship big or small with the same strength and vehemence shown by our imam and the followers of ahlulbayt. 

(3) 

i recently removed my hijab following some really nasty comments that were hurled at me while i was out shopping. it was in front of my son and i was told to 'go -f***- yourself muslim freak- and then told by this man that he hates all muslim. this was in front of my 2yr old son... so i took off my hijab. and started making excuses - it's to protect me and my child from discrimination and judgement, i don't want my religion on display it's a private thing, i am sick of the assumptions non-muslims and muslim make about me when they see my hijab. all these excuses are, excuse my language, bull[Edited Out]. i can keep telling myself and everyone this but Allah knows i took it off because i wanted to look prettier, i wanted to look like everyone else and get more attention for my looks. i know. moments of weakness. 

as muharram began i realised that i need to stand up for my beliefs and for islam and wear my hijab with pride. it's almost muharram and if hussain could sacrifice his LIFE for islam i can sacrifice a few moments of discomfort and judgement for a chance to please Allah and go to paradise. when people used to ask me who my role models were i wouldn't know what to say. now i answer without hesitation - fatima a.s, zainab a.s, khadija a.s, maryam mother of isa. what do all these women have in common? thy are strong, they are humble and modest and always stuck to their beliefs even when facing discrimination and prejudice and cruelty and they dealt with more horrific things than i EVER will yet i complain about one rude ignorant comment from some man i will never see again? and what is that teaching my child if after one incident i abandon my beliefs? i want to show him how a muslim should be - i want to teach him that we all go through hardships and we all experience negativity and we can't escape that but everything we do is for Allah and when we feel like we can't get through it or we feel like abandoning our beliefs we need to remember those who fought so hard to keep islam alive FOR US. sacrificing everything FOR US. and as soon as i put my hijab back on i felt this rush of love and appreciation flooding back to me for Allah, for our imams, for everyone who fought against opression, for the men, women and followers of ahlulbayt. i will never again hide my beliefs away just to 'fit in' and be like everyone else. imagine if hussain had done that? we wouldn't be here today believing in what we believe and to show our gratefulness the least we can do is continue keeping islam strong and alive and keep fighting against the misconceptions and ignorance that surrounds our religion particularly that which surrounds the shia. 

15 hours ago, laylacat said:

as muharram began i realised that i need to stand up for my beliefs and for islam and wear my hijab with pride. it's almost muharram and if hussain could sacrifice his LIFE for islam i can sacrifice a few moments of discomfort and judgement for a chance to please Allah and go to paradise. when people used to ask me who my role models were i wouldn't know what to say. now i answer without hesitation - fatima a.s, zainab a.s, khadija a.s, maryam mother of isa. what do all these women have in common? thy are strong, they are humble and modest and always stuck to their beliefs even when facing discrimination and prejudice and cruelty and they dealt with more horrific things than i EVER will yet i complain about one rude ignorant comment from some man i will never see again? and what is that teaching my child if after one incident i abandon my beliefs? i want to show him how a muslim should be - i want to teach him that we all go through hardships and we all experience negativity and we can't escape that but everything we do is for Allah and when we feel like we can't get through it or we feel like abandoning our beliefs we need to remember those who fought so hard to keep islam alive FOR US. sacrificing everything FOR US. and as soon as i put my hijab back on i felt this rush of love and appreciation flooding back to me for Allah, for our imams, for everyone who fought against opression, for the men, women and followers of ahlulbayt. i will never again hide my beliefs away just to 'fit in' and be like everyone else. imagine if hussain had done that? we wouldn't be here today believing in what we believe and to show our gratefulness the least we can do is continue keeping islam strong and alive and keep fighting against the misconceptions and ignorance that surrounds our religion particularly that which surrounds the shia. 

Stay strong in your beliefs. Allah bless you, especially in these days of the Holy Month of Muharram.