ireallywannaknow

I don't understand this

Rate this topic

I am wondering if I can pray my salat with a jumuah ghusl without doing wudhu after the ghusl. I prayed zuhr already so I am wondering if I need to make wudhu and repeat the prayer. 

I read this on the website of Ayatollah Sistani:

653. After having taken the Mustahab Ghusl listed in rule no. 651, one can perform acts (e.g. prayers) for which Wudhu is necessary. However, Ghusl performed with the Niyyat of 'Raja' do not not suffice for Wudhu (i.e. Wudhu has to be performed).

I don't understand what the bolded part means. Earlier on the website it said raja' means recommended act? So if I did ghusl as a recommended act I have to do wudhu? Why else would I do a mustahab ghusl??

1 hour ago, ireallywannaknow said:

I am wondering if I can pray my salat with a jumuah ghusl without doing wudhu after the ghusl. I prayed zuhr already so I am wondering if I need to make wudhu and repeat the prayer. 

653. After having taken the Mustahab Ghusl listed in rule no. 651, one can perform acts (e.g. prayers) for which Wudhu is necessary. However, Ghusl performed with the Niyyat of 'Raja' do not not suffice for Wudhu (i.e. Wudhu has to be performed).

I don't understand what the bolded part means. Earlier on the website it said raja' means recommended act? So if I did ghusl as a recommended act I have to do wudhu? Why else would I do a mustahab ghusl??

do you follow sistani?

1 hour ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Niyah of raja' means niyah of gaining thawab (reward). This is a jurisprudential term

If you follow Sayed Sistani you don't have to perform Wudu after a mustahab ghusl. However the majority of the maraji' say that's impermissible. Sayed sabah shubr said even if your marja' allows it, one should still perform wudu after the mustahab ghusl just to be sure.

Edited by Hassan-

2 hours ago, Hassan- said:

If you follow Sayed Sistani you don't have to perform Wudu after a mustahab ghusl. However the majority of the maraji' say that's impermissible. Sayed sabah shubr said even if your marja' allows it, one should still perform wudu after the mustahab ghusl just to be sure.

1 hour ago, Bakir said:

The bolded part means that if you want your Ghusl to count as wudhu', it must be an obligatory ghusl, not one you do because it is mustahab.

Both of you brothers are incorrect.

There are two types of mustahab ghusls, ones that are proven as legitimate mustahab ghusls according to Sayyed Al-Sistani, and ones that may not be proven as legitimate mustahab ghusls (maybe they are narrated through a weak chain, for example) yet they have been mentioned in the books, and it's okay to them but one has has to perform those ghusls with the niyyah of raja al matlubiya. 

Now sister, you got your fatwa from this link, correct?

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2192/

All the ghusls mentioned in 651 can replace wudhu. The ghusls mentioned in 652, however, do not, and they are the ones done with the intention of raja al matlubiya.

Now, you mentioned Ghusl Al-Jummah, that is one of the ghusls mentioned in 651, so yes that can replace your wudhu.

I hope all is clear now.

3 hours ago, E.L King said:

There are two types of mustahab ghusls, ones that are proven as legitimate mustahab ghusls according to Sayyed Al-Sistani, and ones that may not be proven as legitimate mustahab ghusls (maybe they are narrated through a weak chain, for example) yet they have been mentioned in the books, and it's okay to them but one has has to perform those ghusls with the niyyah of raja al matlubiya. 

All the ghusls mentioned in 651 can replace wudhu. The ghusls mentioned in 652, however, do not, and they are the ones done with the intention of raja al matlubiya.

Now, you mentioned Ghusl Al-Jummah, that is one of the ghusls mentioned in 651, so yes that can replace your wudhu.

I hope all is clear now.

I don't know the details of it since I'm not too familiar with fatwas of Sayed Sistani, but it still doesn't change the fact that one should perform Wudu after any mustahab ghusl as a precaution, since most maraji' say only ghusl al janabah relieves one from performing Wudu. 

8 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

:salam:

An example of badly written fatwa. 

The part in bold is not related to the Mustahab Ghusl, despite the term 'however' which tends to imply the subject remains the same.

In other words :

- You perform a Ghusl listed as mustahab in rule #651 = no need to do wudhu, ghusl suffices.

- You perform Ghusl because you feel it is a good act but on an occasion which is not listed in #651 = you gain thawab for ghusl but you need to do wudhu additionnally.

Edited by realizm

7 hours ago, E.L King said:

I hope all is clear now.

Thanks for the input E.L King!

4 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Maybe l am wrong, but ...

When in doubt, do wudu (and ghusul).

Actually no, it is almost haram to perform wudu again if you're not certain you broke it. If you doubt whether you broke it or not, your wudu is still valid.

9 hours ago, E.L King said:

I hope all is clear now.

So, let me get this clear.

If I am showering in the morning, is it possible to do ghusl that replaces wudhu even though I am not in need of one so I dont need to get out, dry up and do a wudhu?

22 hours ago, Hassan- said:

I don't know the details of it since I'm not too familiar with fatwas of Sayed Sistani, but it still doesn't change the fact that one should perform Wudu after any mustahab ghusl as a precaution, since most maraji' say only ghusl al janabah relieves one from performing Wudu. 

According to Sayyed Al-Sistani, only as a recommended precaution.

14 hours ago, IbnSina said:

So, let me get this clear.

If I am showering in the morning, is it possible to do ghusl that replaces wudhu even though I am not in need of one so I dont need to get out, dry up and do a wudhu?

Only if it's one of the ghusls mentioned in fatwa #651 in the link in my previous post.

Just doing a ghusl for the sake of ghusl without a reason or an occacsion is not a correct ghusl let alone mustahab - so it will not change the fact that you need to do wudhu to pray.