Dhulfikar

Salat al-Layl and Qadha prayers

Rate this topic

Wa alaikum salam, I asked the same question to a well known sheikh a few years ago and this was his response 

Q: "If I have many qadha prayers to do, do they take precedence over nawafil prayers--as in, should I replace all nawafil prayers with the qadha prayers or should I offer both?"

A: " If you can offer a few in place the Nafilah that is good but it is not Wajib. If you are wondering about self-building according to the teachings of the Ahlul Bayt (AS) and going above what is Wajib, then continue to offer Salatul Lail even though you have Qadha prayers. Again it is not Wajib and I do not want to put a burden on your shoulders. If you were already offering the Night prayers, and of course we should be doing the shortened version, then Marhoom Ayatullah Allamah Tatabai says that offer both. For your regular Nafilah if you would like you can offer them after taking care of your Qadha. "

So I think it is allowed for you to do both. 

52 minutes ago, Dhulfikar said:

But first Qadha right?

as a pre-caution, that would be better.

Keep in mind brother that Allah is Rehman and Raheem. Our intentions matter.

Salat-e-Layl has its benefits in the actions but moreso in the intention. You are sacrificing your sleep to spend in worship. So if at the time of praying salat-e-layl, you are offering your qada, you are still sacrificing your sleep to worship Allah. Added benefit is that you are offering what you 'owe' Allah.

Edited by shiaman14

2 hours ago, Dhulfikar said:

Is it Wajib to do Qadha payers every day, or it can do when there is time, strenght and intention?

Interesting question actually. It has been on my mind for a week. Logic states that you should do the qadha as soon as possible since you do not know when you will die. I also saw a video on a sunni based yt channel saying: "You should not sleep until you have done your qadha prayer for which you do not know when you will die."

I searched through the official fatwas of Imam Khamenei on leader.ir and found this:

Q 522: Some people do not know whether qaḍā’ prayers are due on them on not. Assuming that they are really responsible for some qaḍā’ prayers, are their mustaḥabb or nāfilah prayers considered as qaḍā’ prayers?
A: Nāfilah and mustaḥabb prayers do not count as qaḍā’ prayers and if any qaḍā’ prayers are due upon someone then they must perform them with the intention of qaḍā’ prayers.

It seems that intention is imporant. Which is correct since every decision start with an intention. If there isn't anyone who knows the answer to your question, I'll send an email to Imam Khamenei's office.

Edited by Khomeinist

@Dhulfikar I have received this today from the office of Ayatollah Sayyed Ali Khamenei.

Bismihi Ta`ala
Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
Although it is not necessary to harry up for making up for the missed prayer in qada', one should not deal carelessly with this matter.
With prayers for your success
Bismillah al rahman al raheem

Salam un aleykom,

I have contacted Ayatollah Sayyed Ali Khamenei's office a few times since I follow him closely. I was discussing with a friend regarding performing your Qadha salaat. Since one is unaware of when he/she will die, is it not preferable to perform the qadha as soon as possible? I'll formulate the question a bit better:

"Is it wajib to do Qadha payers every day, or can you do it when there is time, strenght and intention?"

Thank you in advance for answering my question(s).

May Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى bless your soul.

Eltemase du'a,

Ahmad