Rate this topic

Bismillah ir Arahman ir Rahim

Salamu Alaikum!

What exactly is Chador? Is this the same as a head covering ?or is it like an Abaya - something you wear over jilbab and khimar?

Does it have to be black?

I am kind of confused. 

Shukran. 

Edited by MuslimahAK

On 9/27/2017 at 2:43 PM, MuslimahAK said:

What exactly is Chador? Is this the same as a head covering ?or is it like an Abaya - something you wear over jilbab and khimar?

Salam. In Iran the chador would be considered outerwear that you wear over your clothing. The black chador is a head to toe piece of fabric that covers the head scarf and reaches to the ankles. When you visit a woman in Iran, you might be asked to remove your black chador which is heavy and warm, and put on a colorful cotton chador that is light and cool. Of course if there are no men in the home you don't need to wear the chador at all.

If you want to wear abaya, jilbab and khimar in Iran, there is no problem. Iran does not force anyone to wear the chador, but if you want to go inside a holy shrine, you might be given a chador to drape over yourself. The chador is what most women wear when they pray, so the chador is considered the best hijab for holy sites where you would be praying.

There are many different styles of chador as shown in the following video. I suppose the end is an advertisement so you can stop the video at about the 6:00 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-JWQb4NSEU