Rate this topic

Bismillah ir Arahman ir Rahim

Salamu Alaikum!

I Was Curious If Maybe I Should Have One Of my Daughter's Name. Her Name Is someone That Our Mother (a.s.) Was Not Happy With.

I am Worried That As She Gets Older That It May Affect Her.

I Would Love Others' Opinions On This. Its A Major Decision And I Dont Want To Be Impulsive About It.

Shukran.

9 minutes ago, MuslimahAK said:

Salamu Alaikum!

I Was Curious If Maybe I Should Have One Of my Daughter's Name. Her Name Is someone That Our Mother (a.s.) Was Not Happy With.

I Would Love Others' Opinions On This. Its A Major Decision And I Dont Want To Be Impulsive About It.

Shukran.

The name has no significance. Imam was unhappy of individual not name. Still u can change and keep any name. 

1 hour ago, MuslimahAK said:

Salamu Alaikum!

Shukran.

Alaikis Salaam sister, 

THE RIGHT TO HAVE A GOOD NAME: Imam ‘Ali says: “The first beneficence of a parent towards his child is to give him a good name; therefore, you should name your child with a good name.” A child hears his name day and night; and it is reasonable to believe that the meaning of that name subconsciously strengthens those characteristics which are implied in that name. What is emphasized here is the fact that a name has a psychological effect on the person, provided it is not counter-manded by rearing or society.

A bad name has one more tangible evil effect. Whenever that name is announced, the person will feel embarrassment and the name will become a source of constant irritation, affecting his outlook on society. Hence the emphasis in ahādith on giving good names to children.

The Prophet used to emphasize this aspect of life so much that Imam as-Sadiq said, “The Prophet used to change the bad names of people and places.”

https://www.al-islam.org/islam-faith-practice-history-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi/lesson-34-family-life-islam-2#2-some-basic-rights

Yes. Her name is Aiesha. My husband says that its not necessary. That some of the Imams (a.s.) had named their daughter Aiesha also.

But I still want to maybe have her name changed when she gets older. 

For now I"m still thinking about it. 

2 hours ago, MuslimahAK said:

Yes. Her name is Aiesha. My husband says that its not necessary. That some of the Imams (a.s.) had named their daughter Aiesha also.

Just a suggestion: You can maybe have the name changed to Fatimah or Zahraa. No one will have any problem with it Insha'Allah. :) 

Wish you the best.

9 hours ago, MuslimahAK said:

If you're going to wait until she is older, it might be best to leave it up to her to decide. 

But the name Aiesha it's fine. It's got a good meaning and there was more than one person who carried it. It means "life" or "lively". 

If you're going to change a child's name, you should do it before the child becomes attached to it.

10 hours ago, MuslimahAK said:

There were lots of Yazid at that time. Would you keep your son's name Yazid?  

Reports of our Aimma (alaihimus Salaam) having their daughter's name Aisha is not free from ikhtilaf (contradiction). 

Edited by Sirius_Bright

I have discussed it with my daughter. She's twelve. We had to discuss with her before to not feel bad about her name.

I asked her. She wants to be named Zahra Ruquayah (surname).

So we will call her Zahra until next year. Name changing can be expensive and lengthy. So .......

But she was so excited MashaAllah when I said ok.

There is no Islamic restriction against name change as long as the chosen name is a good one. Your daughter has picked a lovely name. I'm glad you are both happy with it. She can start using it any time, even without legal documentation. Legal documents from the state really aren't that important in Islam. 

2 hours ago, MuslimahAK said:

I have discussed it with my daughter. She's twelve. We had to discuss with her before to not feel bad about her name.

I asked her. She wants to be named Zahra Ruquayah (surname).

So we will call her Zahra until next year. Name changing can be expensive and lengthy. So .......

But she was so excited MashaAllah when I said ok.

Wa Alaykum Asalam,

Zahraa is a wonderful name, probably one of the best names out there.

As quoted from Sirius, Imam Sajjad (a.s) talks about this is his famous book, Treatise of Rights (Risaalat al-Huqooq). It is completely her choice and I wish you all luck. However, this is my opinion.

It may cause someone to be nervous when getting a name change at first, but as with all new things, you get used to it and you begin to like it. The name Aisha' is a good name itself, but it is attributed to one of the enemies of Ahlulbayt, and as she gets older it might hurt her self esteem and confidence. The names Zahraa, Zainab, and Fatimah are the three names that I recommend. What better names are there than the islamic rolemodels these women were? I think you should keep discussing it with your daughter, and pray for Allah to guide you to the right path!

Recite Al-Hadi 100 times a day or more for Allah to guide you! Also pray for the reappearance of the 12th infallible, pure imam for help!

Al-Haadi is none other than Allah

The Guide, The One whom with His Guidance His belivers were guided, and with His Guidance the living beings have been guided to what is beneficial for them and protected from what is harmful to them.

@Hussaini624 What is al-Hadi? Is it "la ilaha illAllah"?

The names that I gave here were: Fatimah, (her sister is Khadijah so its already taken hehe), Zainab, Zahra, Ruquayah, Sakinah, Hameedah, Rabbab,  and thats all I got. 

My husband says no to Zahra because its harder to pronounce. 

But we both got our hearts set on Zahra Ruquaya. Its funny because she's a tween and she's already better behaved. Or I could just be a bit spooky about it. 

I had told her that she's good and nothing like the other one. I didn't realize how much it had bothered her until I asked her if she'd ever want another name. So yeah, I call her Zahra now. 

21 hours ago, MuslimahAK said:

@Hussaini624 What is al-Hadi? Is it "la ilaha illAllah"?

The names that I gave here were: Fatimah, (her sister is Khadijah so its already taken hehe), Zainab, Zahra, Ruquayah, Sakinah, Hameedah, Rabbab,  and thats all I got. 

My husband says no to Zahra because its harder to pronounce. 

But we both got our hearts set on Zahra Ruquaya. Its funny because she's a tween and she's already better behaved. Or I could just be a bit spooky about it. 

I had told her that she's good and nothing like the other one. I didn't realize how much it had bothered her until I asked her if she'd ever want another name. So yeah, I call her Zahra now. 

Mashallah.

Al-Hadi means the Guide, which is one Allah's سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى beautiful names. If you recite it (Al-Hadi) 100 times a day, Allah will guide you for what will be the better result!

Salam

My daughter talked to her old step-sister, one of them at least, and now she doesn't want to. Now she hates her name (now that I'm used to it) because her older sisters don't like it. 

And now she's giving me problems. (She has autism, and has high functioning behavior issues.)

I would love some advice.