Rate this topic

On 10/22/2017 at 7:11 PM, :

بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم

السلام علیکم

@Wahdat

So it is exclusively (or chiefly) the dynamic and vibrancy of the Western mind, not the content it currently espouses, that you mean?

و علیکم السلام

Both- the materialistic nature of these societies have been and are paving the way for the need for Islam or other religions or movements that cater to their spiritual needs.

5 minutes ago, Wahdat said:

1000s of Pashtun/Muslim women have come to Canada and live with dignity and honor. Last week the Canadian guy who was released from the Pashtun captivity told the world how their captors kept on raping his wife.  I do not even want to go to Syria to show you the spiritual & moral decadence of some the Islamic communities. So yeah, books, knowledge, ideas etc are necessary for a healthy society or community. West is intellectually & morally superior.

Your post is a massive non sequitur. Germany had one of the most advanced and sophisticated cultures in history at the beginning of the 20th century, and that didn't stop the rise of the Nazis.

On 10/21/2017 at 4:22 PM, Wahdat said:

This is not  to say that Western folks are better than the rest but that they have more resources available to be/become better.

Now you seem to be going the opposite incorrect extreme and glorifying "western culture". In every culture there are good and bad things. None is inherently superior or inferior. When we start raising one culture above another, we edge toward separating ourselves into "us" and "them". 

3 hours ago, notme said:

Now you seem to be going the opposite incorrect extreme and glorifying "western culture". In every culture there are good and bad things. None is inherently superior or inferior. When we start raising one culture above another, we edge toward separating ourselves into "us" and "them". 

He seems to have a major inferiority complex when it comes to the West.

On 10/23/2017 at 8:12 AM, guest102317 said:

بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم

السلام علیکم

@Haydar Husayn

The problem is none of these arguments apply to me. I consider myself more Western than Eastern, have great respect for Western intellectual tradition, and am at least as critical of Muslims as I am of 'the West' (see my numerous posts on the gullibility of Muslims, their blind adherence to tradition, their racism, etc). I am under no illusions about the current state of the Muslim world, but neither am I blind to the serious moral and intellectual issues (of a mostly different nature to those in the Muslim world) that are currently blighting the Western world. Wahdat on the other hand barely ever has any criticisms to make of the West, so grateful does he seem to be that they allow him to live here. He talks about the more advanced state of the Western world, without ever acknowledging the massive role played by the exploitation of other nations, both in the past and in the present. This is a issue if he is going to constantly bleat on about how morally superior the West is. What good is it to be nice to Muslims at home, if you are busy bombing, oppressing, and enslaving them abroad? How can anyone look at, to take one of many examples, what is going on in Yemen, and have the nerve to talk about Western moral superiority? How can any Muslim, particularly one 'confident in their Islamic skin', look at the direction Western culture has taken in the past few decades, and see anything other than moral decay? Plenty of Christians (and others) can see it, but apparently Wahdat is blind to it, or at the very least doesn't think Muslims have any right to comment on it.

Wahdat's issue is that he has no balance, and worse, is openly hostile to any moral or intellectual critique of the West, even when it agrees with what many non-Muslim Westerners themselves say. His attitude seems to be that Muslims should just shut up and be grateful. This is the attitude of a slave, rather than that of a free man. Many of those who post on here were born in the West, and/or have parents born in the West. They have just as much right to offer criticisms of their society as anyone else, and have no need to live in a state of eternal gratitude.

14 hours ago, notme said:

I am afraid that you have misunderstood the point I am trying to make. Its not a matter of glorification or demonization but a mere calculation like 2+ 2 = 4 and 2 - 2 = 0.

I further do not distinguish between folks in East and those in West for we are all human beings and pretty much similar regardless of any man made overlays such as race, religion, or nationality. Based on this assumption that human beings are similar all over the world, I firmly believe that those in healthier environments are most likely to grow up healthy than those from unhealthy environments. And it is very clear that most of the Islamic societies, due to their unhealthy political, social, & education environments, are in a bad state today compared to those in West. This is to be the case for the foreseeable future.
In a nutshell- while a Muslim boy in Iraq or Syria has to first overcome political chaos and socio-economic challenges before he could become a contributing member of his community, a Muslim boy in Michigan has to simply go to school and do his homework. Multiply this scenario by 100s of millions...and where would you place your bid?

11 hours ago, Haydar Husayn said:

He seems to have a major inferiority complex when it comes to the West.

Since when disliking chaos and evil became inferiority complex?

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum brother Wahdat,

Ask social workers, counselors, teachers about the new emigrants that go into MI high schools and it isn't as easy and simplistic as you put it.  

I'm very thankful to Allah that my children have been raised and are studying in an Islamic society (Dahiya-Beirut) in an Islamic school, Alhamd'Allah they are not in a public school system in MI God knows what they would have picked up.

You may have not had the best experience in Afghanistan, and now enjoy the lesiure of American society for your children but, look at me, I was born and raised in America and choose the education system in Lebanon for my children.  What works for you in an American society , is not beneficial or what I set my standards and goals for my children.  Sub7an'Allah, that's why Allah created us differently, it's a mercy.

My condolences to you on the recent killing of the martyrs in Afghanistan. May Allah rid us of the terrorists behaq Mohammad wa ahli Mohammad.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Alaikum A'salaam sister @Laayla,
Very delighted to hear of your experience & optimism in Beirut. It must be beautiful living in such a community that is motivated & led by noble ideals. But unfortunately South Lebanon is an exception in the Islamic communities. I hope it stays strong in a region where entire countries crumble down like little houses of card. I am sure it will in light of such pious leadership.

I try to look at the world objectively, if thats even possible, and towards this end try to keep my personal experiences as far away from my views as possible. My love for America and distaste of Afghanistan or other Islamic communities stem from the way those societies are now. I love the fact that people, for the most part, are united by humanity and live with dignity in American society (despite some lagging behind) while they are divided along nationalities in Islamic communities and their GDPs determine their dignity- like Afghans in Iran, South Asians in Gulf, or Palestinians in rest of the Arab world. Magical would be the days when this community wakes up and make a reality in the image of their ideal....in our case, in the image of our Ulema- one free of man-made borders & overlays and based on piety. 

This is a great topic but I am not sure if West vs. East is the real issue or modern Islam vs traditional Islam is the issue.

A woman led jama'at prayers in NYC - not acceptable islamically. 

Women in US attend jumah prayers and in large numbers whereas they don't in the East - perfectly acceptable

So the issue is do we change Islam according to the times much like how Christians have changed Christianity (e.g. more and more churches are accepting homosexuality)?

There are even organizations setup in the US (Jewish funded) that want to modernize Islam.

We are at the exact crossroad Christianity was about 500 years ago when the Reform movement started. They had their hard core fundamentalists like salafi and ultra modern (may be Ismaili ).  

Fundamentalism wins in the short term. Tolerance and adaptability wins in the long run.

7 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

This is a great topic but I am not sure if West vs. East is the real issue or modern Islam vs traditional Islam is the issue.

A woman led jama'at prayers in NYC - not acceptable islamically. 

Women in US attend jumah prayers and in large numbers whereas they don't in the East - perfectly acceptable

So the issue is do we change Islam according to the times much like how Christians have changed Christianity (e.g. more and more churches are accepting homosexuality)?

There are even organizations setup in the US (Jewish funded) that want to modernize Islam.

We are at the exact crossroad Christianity was about 500 years ago when the Reform movement started. They had their hard core fundamentalists like salafi and ultra modern (may be Ismaili ).  

Fundamentalism wins in the short term. Tolerance and adaptability wins in the long run.

I think the difference between their crossroad and our crossroad today is that in our case there is no confusion regarding what is haram and what is halal.

Just like you said, a women leading jumah prayers, although it sounds perfectly fine in this modern way of looking at things, is clearly not allowed in the religion of Islam.

As far as women attending the jumah prayers more in the west, I believe it is because traditionally speaking, such as in the case of the east, most women are house wives and tied down more to the house and kids while in the west they are much more independent while also not building families as early as they used to. Is this better or worse? I dont know, I see many unmarried people in their late 20's in the west and that way of living is starting to become more popular in the east as well now. I dont know it follows our nature so well to stay unmarried and not start a family.

Its important to see the forces that are pushing for a more westernized version of Islam and to clearly point them out because there is an agenda rest assured.

I believe Islam in of itself is perfect in every sense possible and there is no need for adding or removing anything whatsoever. What we need to do is really adhere to our religion and put culture aside, that way we will inshaAllah be successful.

The christians wanted to adapt to every culture they went to and as such the religion they were told to follow became different from the religion they followed which in turn became different from the religion they are following today.

On 10/22/2017 at 6:12 PM, Wahdat said:

1000s of Pashtun/Muslim women have come to Canada and live with dignity and honor. Last week the Canadian guy who was released from the Pashtun captivity told the world how their captors kept on raping his wife.  I do not even want to go to Syria to show you the spiritual & moral decadence of some the Islamic communities. So yeah, books, knowledge, ideas etc are necessary for a healthy society or community. West is intellectually & morally superior.

Again, comparing apples to oranges. Give Afghanistan about maybe a half a century or more to stabilize from invasions by the soviets, the civil war, Taliban takeover, and the United states. Trust me if the US and Canada went through just one devastating invasion by a country wherein most of their country's civil and social infrastructure is decimated, the "morally and intellectually" superior west will devolve into wild animals and become the most extremist libertarians you can find. You quite literally cannot compare Canada to Afghanistan seeing as how they are two completely different environments. One is even today an active war zone and the other is a country that has not fought a war on its soil since the war of 1812.

Also bruh, rape occurs quite regularly in the west. In fact, rape does occur on average in MUCH higher numbers in stable western countries as compared to stable muslim countries even when the population is the same. For example, does your average Iranian, Saudi, Indonesian, Malaysian, etc. women have to fear being raped if she walked the streets of a major city at night in her native country? To some extent yes but to a lot less of a diminished extent than say if she was walking down the streets of Chicago, New York, etc. at night. Even on college campuses it occurs quite a decent amount as well. But I suppose if your rapist is blonde haired blue eyed it does not matter compared to a guy wearing a turban and is pashtun. Also, just google the horrific things that US soldiers did in Abu Ghraib. Yes, the US shut it down but the point is that such horrific things also have occurred in the middle of war zones in that country. With countless massacres that occurred during the US invasion of Iraq and countless sexual crimes that soldiers did. But, I guess if your rapist has camo on he is not as guilty as a guy with a turban on...

Also seriously, Syria? Now I know you just love to commit fallacies in logical thinking and just run with knee jerk reactions. Why in the absolute heck would you compare Syria to Canada or any stable western country? In fact, it would be better to compare Syria to say Brazil. One country is militarily powerful and has a good economy but has horrible sexual and criminal violence and is worse off than Syria in that regard. Even if a woman was captured by The Taliban she would be less likely to be raped by them than say if she decided to walk down the streets of the more poorer parts of Sao Paulo. Heck, if one is to talk about which part of the world has treated women in the most horrible way in terms of sexual violence then look no further than South America. 

In fact, why don't you actually compare stable muslim countries with that of stable western countries. Afghanistan according to its HDI score is not qualified. Since this is a shia website why don't you say compare the amount of danger an Iranian woman would face in terms of sexual assault if she was in Tehran with the modesty police on full lookout vs say the danger a muslim woman would face in New York City? Also to equalize let us assume both are in the commercial districts of their cities. Also, let us compare threat level in daytime vs nighttime. Also let us normalize this by saying that the comparison time would be when the police in the commercial district of New York City are the most active and when the modesty police in the commercial district in Tehran are also the most active. Also let us assume that both the Modesty police and the New York city police do not commit violence against the muslim woman in question here. Yes, I know the modesty police and its torture sessions but at the same time I believe the supreme leader of Iran and the Iranian President criticised this and said the modesty police should only issue fines and not resort to torture and kidnapping. 

Again, don't think I am deflecting from the sexual crimes done in the muslim world. Yes, muslims have been and even now are trying to curb the amount of sexual crime in the muslim world. However, to say such blatantly inundated things and not pretend the western world also has much much bigger epidemic of rape and sexual assault is frankly ridiculous. So get off of your fake moral high ground and maybe we can make the muslim world and muslim communities a more safer place for muslim women to be in. 

Edited by Guest Account Ali

Western Islamic scholars and Islamic intellectuals have always appealed to me more than the eastern ones. Eg. Abdol Ali Bazargan (a very learned Persian intellectual), Dr. Ali Shariati, Nouman Ali Khan, Hassanain Rajabali, Hamza Yusuf etc. 

Although part of the reason could be because their talks are much more relevant to the issues we face in the westerns society, however I find that they are much more logical, rational and open-minded in their intellectual thinking. 

This thread also reminded me of what a friend of mine, who used to live in Iran was saying. He was saying that whenever a prominent islamic scholar came to their city, the young, religious men would hold a gathering, where they'd ask the scholar questions. At one of these programs, one of the men asked the scholar that if one makes a mistake in reciting the Tasbih of Fatima Al-Zahra (as) after the obligatory prayers (which is optional), should they then redo the whole obligatory prayers and the Tasbih, or jus the Tasbih itself. When my friend was describing this to me, I told him that, if the young men of Eastern countries are putting their focus and energy on worrying whether they should re-do a whole obligatory prayer because they had made a mistake in an optional Tasbih, then we shouldn't be surprised that tomorrow the western countries move on to living in Mars, while the Islamic world are busy worrying about Tasbihats. 

11 hours ago, IbnSina said:

I think the difference between their crossroad and our crossroad today is that in our case there is no confusion regarding what is haram and what is halal.

Just like you said, a women leading jumah prayers, although it sounds perfectly fine in this modern way of looking at things, is clearly not allowed in the religion of Islam.

As far as women attending the jumah prayers more in the west, I believe it is because traditionally speaking, such as in the case of the east, most women are house wives and tied down more to the house and kids while in the west they are much more independent while also not building families as early as they used to. Is this better or worse? I dont know, I see many unmarried people in their late 20's in the west and that way of living is starting to become more popular in the east as well now. I dont know it follows our nature so well to stay unmarried and not start a family.

Its important to see the forces that are pushing for a more westernized version of Islam and to clearly point them out because there is an agenda rest assured.

I believe Islam in of itself is perfect in every sense possible and there is no need for adding or removing anything whatsoever. What we need to do is really adhere to our religion and put culture aside, that way we will inshaAllah be successful.

The christians wanted to adapt to every culture they went to and as such the religion they were told to follow became different from the religion they followed which in turn became different from the religion they are following today.

we will never agree more than on what you wrote above, specifically the bold.

Case in point: Allahu Akbar is a call to prayer - a call to Allah. Nowadays, recite Allahu Akbar loudly somewhere and people will think you are about to carry out a terrorist attack. Conditioning!!!

6 hours ago, SlaveOfAllah14 said:

Western Islamic scholars and Islamic intellectuals have always appealed to me more than the eastern ones. Eg. Abdol Ali Bazargan (a very learned Persian intellectual), Dr. Ali Shariati, Nouman Ali Khan, Hassanain Rajabali, Hamza Yusuf etc. 

Although part of the reason could be because their talks are much more relevant to the issues we face in the westerns society, however I find that they are much more logical, rational and open-minded in their intellectual thinking. 

This thread also reminded me of what a friend of mine, who used to live in Iran was saying. He was saying that whenever a prominent islamic scholar came to their city, the young, religious men would hold a gathering, where they'd ask the scholar questions. At one of these programs, one of the men asked the scholar that if one makes a mistake in reciting the Tasbih of Fatima Al-Zahra (as) after the obligatory prayers (which is optional), should they then redo the whole obligatory prayers and the Tasbih, or jus the Tasbih itself. When my friend was describing this to me, I told him that, if the young men of Eastern countries are putting their focus and energy on worrying whether they should re-do a whole obligatory prayer because they had made a mistake in an optional Tasbih, then we shouldn't be surprised that tomorrow the western countries move on to living in Mars, while the Islamic world are busy worrying about Tasbihats. 

Man has been to the moon while we argue over the birth of the moon every Eid.

On 10/26/2017 at 4:23 AM, Guest Account Ali said:

Again, comparing apples to oranges. Give Afghanistan about maybe a half a century or more to stabilize from invasions by the soviets, the civil war, Taliban takeover, and the United states. Trust me if the US and Canada went through just one devastating invasion by a country wherein most of their country's civil and social infrastructure is decimated, the "morally and intellectually" superior west will devolve into wild animals and become the most extremist libertarians you can find. You quite literally cannot compare Canada to Afghanistan seeing as how they are two completely different environments. One is even today an active war zone and the other is a country that has not fought a war on its soil since the war of 1812.

Also bruh, rape occurs quite regularly in the west. In fact, rape does occur on average in MUCH higher numbers in stable western countries as compared to stable muslim countries even when the population is the same. For example, does your average Iranian, Saudi, Indonesian, Malaysian, etc. women have to fear being raped if she walked the streets of a major city at night in her native country? To some extent yes but to a lot less of a diminished extent than say if she was walking down the streets of Chicago, New York, etc. at night. Even on college campuses it occurs quite a decent amount as well. But I suppose if your rapist is blonde haired blue eyed it does not matter compared to a guy wearing a turban and is pashtun. Also, just google the horrific things that US soldiers did in Abu Ghraib. Yes, the US shut it down but the point is that such horrific things also have occurred in the middle of war zones in that country. With countless massacres that occurred during the US invasion of Iraq and countless sexual crimes that soldiers did. But, I guess if your rapist has camo on he is not as guilty as a guy with a turban on...

Also seriously, Syria? Now I know you just love to commit fallacies in logical thinking and just run with knee jerk reactions. Why in the absolute heck would you compare Syria to Canada or any stable western country? In fact, it would be better to compare Syria to say Brazil. One country is militarily powerful and has a good economy but has horrible sexual and criminal violence and is worse off than Syria in that regard. Even if a woman was captured by The Taliban she would be less likely to be raped by them than say if she decided to walk down the streets of the more poorer parts of Sao Paulo. Heck, if one is to talk about which part of the world has treated women in the most horrible way in terms of sexual violence then look no further than South America. 

In fact, why don't you actually compare stable muslim countries with that of stable western countries. Afghanistan according to its HDI score is not qualified. Since this is a shia website why don't you say compare the amount of danger an Iranian woman would face in terms of sexual assault if she was in Tehran with the modesty police on full lookout vs say the danger a muslim woman would face in New York City? Also to equalize let us assume both are in the commercial districts of their cities. Also, let us compare threat level in daytime vs nighttime. Also let us normalize this by saying that the comparison time would be when the police in the commercial district of New York City are the most active and when the modesty police in the commercial district in Tehran are also the most active. Also let us assume that both the Modesty police and the New York city police do not commit violence against the muslim woman in question here. Yes, I know the modesty police and its torture sessions but at the same time I believe the supreme leader of Iran and the Iranian President criticised this and said the modesty police should only issue fines and not resort to torture and kidnapping. 

Again, don't think I am deflecting from the sexual crimes done in the muslim world. Yes, muslims have been and even now are trying to curb the amount of sexual crime in the muslim world. However, to say such blatantly inundated things and not pretend the western world also has much much bigger epidemic of rape and sexual assault is frankly ridiculous. So get off of your fake moral high ground and maybe we can make the muslim world and muslim communities a more safer place for muslim women to be in. 

if Earth was situated in place of Venus, it would not have been liveable. Should we claim that make Venus = Earth ? My focus is not about if, its about is.

On 26/10/2017 at 4:23 AM, Guest Account Ali said:

What are you talking about dude.  You cannot look at official rape and sexual assaults statistics to conclude there are more rapes per capita in Canada than say Pakistan. Most rapes go unreported in those societies because there is no recourse, only shame and statistics aren't even kept.

7 hours ago, King said:

What are you talking about dude.  You cannot look at official rape and sexual assaults statistics to conclude there are more rapes per capita in Canada than say Pakistan. Most rapes go unreported in those societies because there is no recourse, only shame and statistics aren't even kept.

Well it is a good thing I never said Canada has more rape than Pakistan, you did so keep your knee jerk reactions to yourself and read my words more carefully. I said the western world does have an epidemic of violent and drug induced rape (as in physical unconsentual sex) on their hands, as even admitted by western Journalists. Shall I cite them for you?

Also, at the same time these stats are not worthless and give a lot of information. For God's sake even government organizations and universities use these stats to create programs that help protect women. So, they are vastly useful. Especially when the studies I can cite actually control for things like unreported rapes. 

Also, if you read the rest of my post CAREFULLY, I said how sexual assault does occur in the Muslim world much more than we would like to think (Ironically it has a high rate of occurance in secular Muslim countries. Just some food for thought for those of you insisting Muslim countries be partially or holistically secula) but in order to help protect Muslim women, comparing east vs West is inundated and ridicoulus. So people need to get the heck off of their moral high ground so we can focus on ISLAMIC solutions to mitigate sexual assault. Which ironically Pakistan claims to be but of course the reality is that Pakistan is way more secular than it is Islamic. 

Again, read the words someone types more carefully and don't jump to knee-jerk reactions. Lest we make errors in logical thinking and commit every logical fallacy in the book. 

9 hours ago, Wahdat said:

if Earth was situated in place of Venus, it would not have been liveable. Should we claim that make Venus = Earth ? My focus is not about if, its about is.

Boi, did you even bother to take an introduction to philosophy course? If you did you would know how that argument is as invalid and unsound as they come. So nice try with the sophistry. But try again.

Also, we are talking about politics. That means you CANNOT talk about terrorism without foreign interventionism and occupation and other contributing factors. So get down from that ivory tower of yours. You literally CANNOT talk about the state of Afghanistan without talking about how the US bombed the country into oblivion, how the Soviets and the communist government of Afganistan were the causing factor in the civil war in the country, how the foreign meddling of Pakistan only exacerbated issues in the country. Every action has a consequence, and every action that leads to a consequence has an undivorcable context. Understand this carefully if you truly want to help Afghani's and Afghanistan in general. 

On 2017-10-27 at 5:20 PM, حسين said:

Salam,

Is it a tradition of western Islam to say bismillah a rahman a raheem before eating non halal foods? 

Why would you eat non halal foods?

39 minutes ago, forte said:

Why would you eat non halal foods?

Salam, 

Before I reverted, a lot of my Muslim friends in the U.K. used to do this.

3 hours ago, حسين said:

Salam, 

A lot of people doing it doesn't mean it's acceptable.

Many ppl doing it here as well, never got it. It seems it depends on families though. I honestly believe there is no need for that considering the halal food you can buy anywhere, as well as restaurants offering vegan friendly menus.

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 10:53 AM, حسين said:

Salam, 

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

Brother Hussain,

How did you revert, when you were born in a muslim family?  Do you mean when you decided to commit to the religion, instead of muslim by name only?

15 hours ago, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

Brother Hussain,

How did you revert, when you were born in a muslim family?  Do you mean when you decided to commit to the religion, instead of muslim by name only?

Salam,

I was born to a Muslim mother and a Muslim father, however my father left us when I was 4, and when I grew to the age of 16. I became very 'depressed' because I felt life was unfair so I decided religion didn't make sense to me. 

By the age of 17, I didn't have a religion by name but I did believe in something, a creator. At 22 years old, so many signs and incidents had happened which left me unable to turn away from the truth. That Allah is one and Islam is the only real religion. However, I was still living a bad life so I didn't go back straight away, I waited to come to Lebanon so my mother could guide me a bit more.  

4 Months ago I became a Muslim by name again, however, I have been reading and learning about it for 8 months properly now. 

Being a western Islam back then, made me lose understanding of the religion, since culture got in the way.