Rate this topic

Salaam Aleikum,

The Prophet (saws) said to his companions, "A man who resembles Jesus the most out of the whole creation will enter this door." So `Ali (as) entered, and they laughed at this saying. So this verse was revealed: "And when the son of Mary was presented as an example, immediately your people laughed aloud." (43:57)  ~ (Kitab al-Manaqib by Ibn Shahr Ashub)

In one of the Imam Ali (as) sermons, you can find similarity with Isa (as), when Jesus in many occasions says I Am. All of them are nothing but an metaphorical meaning, unfortunate out of ignorance, people think it is either Shirk or that the person is God. This is why there were group of people who took Imam Ali (as) as God (astaghfirullah), as same way group of Christians took Isa (as) as God (astaghfirullah). Then we have Muslims among us who think these are shirk too. This is because whenever a person hears these words without knowledge, he automatically think that they associate partners with God. One of the reason Salafis are attacking us is because of these kind of sayings and they can misguided so many Muslims by these sayings.

Jesus (as) said:

I AM the Bread of Life (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51); I AM the Light of the World (John 8:12); I AM the Door of the Sheep (John 10:7, 9); I AM the Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14); I AM the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25); I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6); and I AM the True Vine (John 15:1, 5).

Muhammad ibn al-Hasan ibn Ahmad ibn al-Walid (ra) said: al-Husayn ibn al-Hasan ibn Aban said on the authority of al-Husayn ibn Sa'id, on the authority of al-Nadr ibn Suwayd, on the authority of Ibn Sinan, on the authority of Abu Basir, on the authority of Abu 'Abd Allah (as) that

The Commander of the Faithful, Imam Ali (as) said in one of his sermons:

"I am the Guide. I am the Rightly-Guided. I am the Father of the Poor and the Orphans. I am the Husband of Widows. I am the Refuge of the Weak. I am the Shelter of the Fearful. I am the One who Leads Believers to Paradise. I am the Firm Rope of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى. I am the Firmest Handle of Allah, and I am the Word of Piety. I am the Eye of Allah. I am His Truthful Tongue, and I am His Hand. I am the Side of Allah who says: 'Lest a soul should say: O woe to me! For what I fell short of my duty to Allah' Q;39:56

I am the Outspread Hand of Allah towards His Servants, granting mercy and forgiveness. I am the Door of Divine Mercy. Since I am the Succerssor of the Prophet (saws) on His Earth, and His proof for His people, whoever recognises me, and recognises my right, recognises His Lord. He who rejects me rejects Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى and His Messenger (as)"  ~ Kitab al-Tawheed by Sheik Saduq (ra).

Editors Note: It is imperative to interpret this tradition so as to avoid allegations that Shi'ites apply divine attributes to Imam Ali.

"I am the Guide" means "I guide people to Islam." "I am the Rightly-Guided" means "I am the infallible, divinely-appointed Imam, and the first of the Caliphs." "I am the Father of the Poor and the Orphans. I am the Husband of Widows. I am the Refuge of the Weak" means "As Caliph and Imam, and the Father of the Islamic Ummah, I am responsible for the care of the poor and orphan." "I am the One who Leads Believers to Paradise" means " I am the Leader of the Believers" as the Prophet (saws) said: "O Ali! You and your Shii'ites (followers) will be in Paradise."

"I am the firm Rope of Allah of Allah" means "I am the Firm Rope of Allah which is referred to in the Qur'an 3:103" "I am the Firmest Handle of Allah" means "I maintain Muslims on the straight path." "I am the Word of Piety" refers to the fact that he was know by all, both friend and foe, as Imam al-Muttaqin or the Leader of the Pious. "I am the Eye of Allah" means "I was appointed by Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى to watch over the affairs of the Ummah." It is also alludes to the numerous saying of the Prophet concerning 'Ali, including: "Allah sent me revelations about 'Ali concerning three things: (1) he is the Master and Leader of the Muslims; (2) he is the Leader of the Pious; and (3) he is the Guide who will lead the people with bright faces and hands (to paradise)"(Hakim)

"I am His Truthful tongue" means "I am the Guardian of the Word of Allah, and the Word of the Prophet." "I am His Hand" means "I am the one who distributes the religious dues according to the precepts of Allah." "I am the Side of Allah" means that "I am the Authority sent by Allah." "I am the Outspread Hand of Allah towards His Servants, granting mercy and forgiveness" And "I am the Door of Divine Mercy" means "Allah has granted me the power of intercession on the Day of Judgement." "Since I am the Successor of the Prophet (saws) on His Earth, and His proof for His people, whoever recognizes me, and recognizes my right, recognizes His Lord. He who rejects me rejects Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى and His Messenger (as)" means "I am the one whose obedience has been made obligatory upon Believers."

Edited by Dhulfikar

I am is a word that has been grossly misinterpreted by bigots and those who uttered it were thought of as heretics.  But, in reality, this word means "I am Proof of God on earth for myself and need not to look around for finding proof of the existence of God".

9 minutes ago, Sindbad05 said:

May Allah AWJ save us from bigots in hatred ( Wahhabis) and bigots in love (Polytheistic Sufis) who transgressed beyond limits. 

Do you feel insecure? If I may ask....