shuaybi

Hadith on black clothes in Muharram

2 hours ago, shuaybi said:

By not adhering strictly to the words and deeds of the masumeen (as), the situation is now completely out of control even of the jurists - whom the people are supposed to listen to in the system of taqlid.

I will give the answer of this one, on your thread of taqleed.

2 hours ago, S.M.H.A. said:

Tell me Your opinion on the Third Shahada in general and  in the Adhan in particular. 

"Ash-hado an Aliyun Waleeullah, Wasi-o-Rasoolilah"

How is this question related to the topic under discussion? 

I don’t have any of my own opinions. Nobody should have their own opinions in religion.

While it is our belief that Imam Ali (as) is the vali and wasi of Rasullillah (s), the third shahada is not a part of Adhan, based on hadith of masumeen (as).

Edited by shuaybi

On 10/16/2017 at 10:17 PM, shuaybi said:

I am implying that wearing black does not carry any extra reward. However, it does carry risk of displeasing the prophet (s) and the imams (as) in the event that the other hadith on black prove to be true on the day of judgement. All I am saying is that it is safer to abstain from wearing black.

Rasool Allah (saww) said: "Surely abstaining during confusion is better than indulging in destruction". [Reference: Wasail us Shia H 33472]

Abu Abdullah (asws) said: "The most pious of the people is the one who pauses during confusion". [Reference Wasail us Shia H 33492]

What is your definition of ijtihad?

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) informed Hazrat Fatemah (s.a.): All eyes will shed tears on the Day of Judgment except the eyes which cried over the difficulties of Husain, they will be smiling and pleased with the blessings of Paradise (Ikhtiyaar-e-Marefat Al-Rijaal pg. 89 by Shaikh al-Tusi)

Imam Sadiq (a.s.) declared: There is none who recites elegies about Husain (a.s.) and weeps and makes others weep, except that Allah destines Paradise for them both.

In another tradition Imam (a.s.) informed: One in whose presence Husain is remembered and tears equal to a mosquito’s wing flow (as a result), his reward is with Allah Who will not be satisfied with anything except heaven for that person.(Wasaail al-Shia vol. 10 pg. 397 by Shaykh Hurr al-Aamili)

Imam (a.s.) also informed: Those who weep should weep over the likes of Husain for surely, weeping over him does away with one’s great sins. (Jalaa Al-Uyoon pg. 462 by Allamah Muhammad Baaqer al-Majlisi)

Imam Baqir (a.s.) informed: One who sheds tears while mourning over Husain, Allah places him in Paradise (

Behaar al-Anwaar vol. 44 pg. 293 by Allamah Muhammad Baaqer al-Majlisi)

Attending such assemblies of mourning give rise to attachment and closeness to Imam Hussein (as) Now, how would you reconcile Wearing black clothing  when the Imams (as) have stated: Imam (a.s.) also informed: Those who weep should weep over the likes of Husain for surely, weeping over him does away with one’s great sins

And furthermore how do you  reconcile with Imams (as) statement with this: Rasool Allah (saww) said: "Surely abstaining during confusion is better than indulging in destruction". [Reference: Wasail us Shia H 33472]

Now, in the light of these narration from the Imams (as) those sincere Momin who shed tears for Imam Hussein (as) paradise has become incumbent upon them. 

Now what?

14 hours ago, power said:

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) informed Hazrat Fatemah (s.a.): All eyes will shed tears on the Day of Judgment except the eyes which cried over the difficulties of Husain, they will be smiling and pleased with the blessings of Paradise (Ikhtiyaar-e-Marefat Al-Rijaal pg. 89 by Shaikh al-Tusi)

Imam Sadiq (a.s.) declared: There is none who recites elegies about Husain (a.s.) and weeps and makes others weep, except that Allah destines Paradise for them both.

In another tradition Imam (a.s.) informed: One in whose presence Husain is remembered and tears equal to a mosquito’s wing flow (as a result), his reward is with Allah Who will not be satisfied with anything except heaven for that person.(Wasaail al-Shia vol. 10 pg. 397 by Shaykh Hurr al-Aamili)

Imam (a.s.) also informed: Those who weep should weep over the likes of Husain for surely, weeping over him does away with one’s great sins. (Jalaa Al-Uyoon pg. 462 by Allamah Muhammad Baaqer al-Majlisi)

Imam Baqir (a.s.) informed: One who sheds tears while mourning over Husain, Allah places him in Paradise (

Behaar al-Anwaar vol. 44 pg. 293 by Allamah Muhammad Baaqer al-Majlisi)

Attending such assemblies of mourning give rise to attachment and closeness to Imam Hussein (as) Now, how would you reconcile Wearing black clothing  when the Imams (as) have stated: Imam (a.s.) also informed: Those who weep should weep over the likes of Husain for surely, weeping over him does away with one’s great sins

And furthermore how do you  reconcile with Imams (as) statement with this: Rasool Allah (saww) said: "Surely abstaining during confusion is better than indulging in destruction". [Reference: Wasail us Shia H 33472]

Now, in the light of these narration from the Imams (as) those sincere Momin who shed tears for Imam Hussein (as) paradise has become incumbent upon them. 

Now what?

Let me also add the following hadith next to the list that you have presented (you can find the references and arabic in my earlier posts):

1 – Abu Abdillah (as) said: Black (clothing) is disliked except in three: the khuff, the turban, and the cloak.
2 – The Messenger of Allah (as) used to dislike black (clothing) except in three: the khuff, the turban, and the cloak.
3 – Amir al-Mu’mineen (as) said in what he instructed his companions: Do not wear black for verily it is the garment of Fir'aun.
4 – And it is narrated that Jibra’il descended upon the Messenger of Allah in a black qaba and a belt in which there was a dagger. So he (s) said: O Jibra'il, what is this? So he said: The dress of the sons of your uncle al-Abbas, O Muhammad. Woe be to your sons from the sons of your uncle al-Abbas
5 – And by his isnad from Hudhayfah b. Mansur that he said: I was with Abu Abdillah (as) in a state of confusion, when there came to him a messenger calling him. He called for a raincoat, one side of which was black and the other white, and he donned it. Then he said: Because I have been made to wear it and I know that it is the clothing of the inhabitants of the Fire.
6 – Imam al-Sadiq said: Allah revealed to one of His prophets: Say to the believers: Do not wear the clothing of My enemies nor eat the food of My enemies or pursue the ways of My enemies, lest you become My enemies like they are My enemies.
7 – I asked Abu Abdillah (as): Can I pray in a black cap (qalanswa)?  So he (as) said: Do not pray in it, for it is the clothing of the garment of the Fire.

Now when you place all these hadith together, wouldn't it be preferable to mourn for Imam Hussain (as) wearing clothes other than black? When the believer weeps for the ahlul bayt (as) should he also not be mindful of their likes and dislikes?

20 hours ago, shuaybi said:

I don’t have any of my own opinions. Nobody should have their own opinions in religion.

There is not Taqlid Allowed in Fundamentals of Faith in Shia Islam.

"1. It is necessary for a Muslim to believe in the fundamentals of faith on the basis of proof and he cannot follow anyone in this respect i.e. he cannot accept he word of another with regard to the fundamentals without demanding proof.."

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-abul-qasim-al-khui/taqlid

Do you Testify to the Walayah/Wilayat of Amir al-Muminin(Commander of the Faithful), Imam al-Muttaqeen(Leader of the Pious), Hujjah of Allah(awj)(Proof of Allah(awj), Mawla Ali ibn Abi Talib(as).

8 hours ago, S.M.H.A. said:

Do you Testify to the Walayah/Wilayat of Amir al-Muminin(Commander of the Faithful), Imam al-Muttaqeen(Leader of the Pious), Hujjah of Allah(awj)(Proof of Allah(awj), Mawla Ali ibn Abi Talib(as).

Please first clarify how this question is related to the topic under discussion?

8 hours ago, shuaybi said:

Let me also add the following hadith next to the list that you have presented (you can find the references and arabic in my earlier posts):

1 – Abu Abdillah (as) said: Black (clothing) is disliked except in three: the khuff, the turban, and the cloak.
2 – The Messenger of Allah (as) used to dislike black (clothing) except in three: the khuff, the turban, and the cloak.
3 – Amir al-Mu’mineen (as) said in what he instructed his companions: Do not wear black for verily it is the garment of Fir'aun.
4 – And it is narrated that Jibra’il descended upon the Messenger of Allah in a black qaba and a belt in which there was a dagger. So he (s) said: O Jibra'il, what is this? So he said: The dress of the sons of your uncle al-Abbas, O Muhammad. Woe be to your sons from the sons of your uncle al-Abbas
5 – And by his isnad from Hudhayfah b. Mansur that he said: I was with Abu Abdillah (as) in a state of confusion, when there came to him a messenger calling him. He called for a raincoat, one side of which was black and the other white, and he donned it. Then he said: Because I have been made to wear it and I know that it is the clothing of the inhabitants of the Fire.
6 – Imam al-Sadiq said: Allah revealed to one of His prophets: Say to the believers: Do not wear the clothing of My enemies nor eat the food of My enemies or pursue the ways of My enemies, lest you become My enemies like they are My enemies.
7 – I asked Abu Abdillah (as): Can I pray in a black cap (qalanswa)?  So he (as) said: Do not pray in it, for it is the clothing of the garment of the Fire.

Now when you place all these hadith together, wouldn't it be preferable to mourn for Imam Hussain (as) wearing clothes other than black? When the believer weeps for the ahlul bayt (as) should he also not be mindful of their likes and dislikes?

Again i will reiterate  the above narration from Imams (as) have not "Categorically forbidden wearing black clothing during Muharram" This admission is only coming from yourself....

Rayyan b. Shabeeb narrates from Imam Reza (a.s.): O son of Shabeeb! Should you weep for Husain to the extent that tears roll down your cheeks, Allah will forgive all your sins, whether they be the great sins or the small sins and whether they be meager or immense (Jalaa Al-Uyoon pg. 462 by Allamah Muhammad Baaqer al-Majlisi)

Lets for a moment assume that wearing black clothing is forbidden (based upon your assumption) either way that mu'min will still be granted paradise as stated by Imam Reza (as) And as for your assertion of being:  "Mindful of their likes and dislike" Well that will have no consequences whatsoever because Allah swt has granted that Mu'min paradise.....

Moreover, this assertion of yours of being ;" Mindful of their likes and dislikes " is you being speculative, because its not based upon any narratives from the Imams (as) regarding wearing black clothes during Muharram. 

29 minutes ago, power said:

Again i will reiterate  the above narration from Imams (as) have not "Categorically forbidden wearing black clothing during Muharram" This admission is only coming from yourself....

Please read all the hadith carefully. Which month is the exception? The Imams (s) did not list for us all the twelve months and then iterate through them one by one to inform us in which month the prohibition applies and in which it doesn't.

19 hours ago, shuaybi said:

Please read all the hadith carefully. Which month is the exception? The Imams (s) did not list for us all the twelve months and then iterate through them one by one to inform us in which month the prohibition applies and in which it doesn't.

For me some of the greatest jurist have giving their decree on this matter, their verdict is more than sufficient for those Mu'min to wear black clothing during Muharram. However, i know their verdict is very  problematic for yourself and for those who a similar view like yourself. 

But nevertheless, in the light of the narratives that i have provided, paradise will be granted to those Mu'min who had sincerely grieved  for Imam Hussein (as) as stated by the Imams (as) And as for yourself, if you also have shown love for Imam Hussein (as) whether you wear black clothing or not, you will also inshallah will be granted paradise which is the ultimate goal for all Mu'min. 

On 10/20/2017 at 12:43 PM, power said:

But nevertheless, in the light of the narratives that i have provided, paradise will be granted to those Mu'min who had sincerely grieved  for Imam Hussein (as) as stated by the Imams (as) And as for yourself, if you also have shown love for Imam Hussein (as) whether you wear black clothing or not, you will also inshallah will be granted paradise which is the ultimate goal for all Mu'min. 

Remember the hadith that make paradise obligatory are not absolute statements. They have implicit conditions. There are many similar hadith. For example:

(It has been narrated) from Abu Abdullah (as) having said: ‘O Aban! When you proceed to Al-Kufa, so report this Hadeeth, "The one who testifies that ‘there is no god except for Allah (a) the Emancipator', the Paradise would be Obligatory upon him". [Source: Al Mahasin Vol 2 Chap 19]

It is ultimately Allah's choice and decision to grant Jannah to whomever he wishes and nobody can question it. Our duty should be to simply act on the obligations and stay away from the prohibitions.

On 9/24/2017 at 9:58 PM, shuaybi said:

Are there any hadith which permit or recommend the Shia men to wear black clothes during the first ten days of Muharram or on the day of Ashura? I understand that it is allowed to wear black Amama (turban) and Abaa (cloak) at all times. However, my question is regarding wearing black garments besides these e.g. shirts in the month of Muharram.

Did the Imams (as) encourage/suggest people to wear black clothes as a sign of mourning for Imam Hussain (as) during the month of Muharram? I am referring to the general Shia population who wear black shirts/pants exclusively in the month of Muharram. I am trying to understand if this practice is based on hadith and teachings of our Imams (as) or not.

Please kindly quote the hadith if you know.

you can do azadari in any color. There are no "must be like this" rules for azadari. You can wear black and do azadari; you can wear a rainbow colored jersey and do azadari.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:18 AM, Salsabeel said:

I think every scholor of shia fiqh has been exited out of wilayah of Aimma e Tahireen (a.s) because no scholor prohibits the shia people from wearing black dress.

your reason for this post is not to highlight how azadari should be done. It is to simply malign the marajae.

1 hour ago, shiaman14 said:

your reason for this post is not to highlight how azadari should be done. It is to simply malign the marajae.

Brother - you misunderstood the statement of Br. Salsabeel. It was a conditional statement. He is free of that statement.

Anyways, the purpose of the post was to find out if there are any explicit hadith of masumeen (as) where they have recommended/exhorted the men to wear black for mourning imam hussain (as). That is all! It was not meant to be a discussion on "why" we the shias wear black. All I was trying to establish is if this practice is explicitly based on hadith or not.

Edited by shuaybi

2 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

You misunderstood me brother.

Sincere apologies my dear brother.

1 hour ago, shuaybi said:

Brother - you misunderstood the statement of Br. Salsabeel. It was a conditional statement. He is free of that statement.

Anyways, the purpose of the post was to find out if there are any explicit hadith of masumeen (as) where they have recommended/exhorted the men to wear black for mourning imam hussain (as). That is all! It was not meant to be a discussion on "why" we the shias wear black. All I was trying to establish is if this practice is explicitly based on hadith or not.

fair enough brother. perfectly valid to ask.

22 hours ago, shuaybi said:

Remember the hadith that make paradise obligatory are not absolute statements. They have implicit conditions. There are many similar hadith. For example:

(It has been narrated) from Abu Abdullah (as) having said: ‘O Aban! When you proceed to Al-Kufa, so report this Hadeeth, "The one who testifies that ‘there is no god except for Allah (a) the Emancipator', the Paradise would be Obligatory upon him". [Source: Al Mahasin Vol 2 Chap 19]

It is ultimately Allah's choice and decision to grant Jannah to whomever he wishes and nobody can question it. Our duty should be to simply act on the obligations and stay away from the prohibitions.

Inshallah mu'min of Ahlul Bayt (as) whether he or she wears black clothing or not will be granted paradise. 

3 hours ago, power said:

Inshallah mu'min of Ahlul Bayt (as) whether he or she wears black clothing or not will be granted paradise. 

Yes but to be considered a true follower of ahlul bayt (as) make sure to check with them first before wearing black. 

3 hours ago, shuaybi said:

Yes but to be considered a true follower of ahlul bayt (as) make sure to check with them first before wearing black. 

You have derived to your own conclusion on this matter, and i have taken the verdict of the jurist who have spent most of their lives studying Quran and Ahlul Bayt (as).