ZethaPonderer

How is the term 'Peace' truly defined?

Rate this topic

Image result for bismillah ir rahman arabic

In the Name of Allah/YHWH, The Most Beneficent, The Most Merciful.

I would like to start a discussion as the title implies not just from a philosophical perspective on Islam, but also amongst people whose beliefs differ from Islam.

First things first, let us get some of the definitions of Peace out of the way via Google,

noun

1. freedom from disturbance; quiet and tranquility.

2. freedom from or the cessation of war or violence.

exclamation

1. used as a greeting.

2. used as an order to remain silent.

Now from what I've been taught under Shia Islam (Zaydi Branch), the term 'Peace' is defined under a sacred significance just as much as how Judaism defines the terminology of 'Justice' and how Christianity defines the terminology of 'Love'.

The way how Peace is defined under the Islam I've been taught is Submission to the belief that there exists A Creative Force out there that is the cause of how we all came into being and Prophet Muhammad (SAW) alongside the previous apostles are living proof establishing this belief due to their miraculous powers (e.g. predicting future events, being above and beyond the laws of nature, and their undying sense of spirit to devote towards this Creative Force).

AKA, There is no god except Allah/YHWH and Prophet Muhammad (SAW) is the Last Messenger of Allah/YHWH and for Humanity.

Once we submit to this belief, then and only then will peace be established for Humanity on an objective criteria. However, there have been skeptics and critics pointing out the various flaws Islam has on the concept of defining Peace.

My counterarguments are 3 puzzling questions,

1. Has Islam violated the concept of Peace from a realistic perspective based on the 80 battles Prophet Muhammad (SAW), his right-hand man Imam Ali ibne Abi Talib (AS), and his companions (The Sahaabas) fought?

2. Based on those 80 battles, did the religion of Islam spread by the sword?

3. What about the event of Mubahila between The Najran Christians and Prophet Muhammad (SAW)'s family The Ahlul-Bayt proving each other whose religion was on the right path to salvation by invoking the curse of Allah/YHWH towards the religion?

What I've learned are this,

Peace = Submission

I would like to see various philosophical perspectives of how the term 'Peace' is defined out of sheer morbid curiosity. Surely, there must be an objective criteria for how Peace is defined? :)

4 hours ago, ZethaPonderer said:

In the Name of Allah/YHWH

Please don't attribute on Allah a name that He did not spoke about in the Qur'an or hadiths. YHWH is not a name He used to describe Himself in Islamic sources. It's a name from bible and Torah and it's a isralliyats therefore is rejected.

4 hours ago, SunniBrother said:

Please don't attribute on Allah a name that He did not spoke about in the Qur'an or hadiths. YHWH is not a name He used to describe Himself in Islamic sources. It's a name from bible and Torah and it's a isralliyats therefore is rejected.

Well I'm familiar with the 99 names of Allah under Islamic sources and His 72 names under Judeo-Christian sources. The fact of the matter is we all cater to the belief that there is only One God. I see Islam as a Bani-Ismael centric Abrahamic Religion where The Same God has perfected His religion while Judaism and Christianity are both Bani-Israel centric Abrahamic Religions. They both have the same message.

Besides, YHWH used to be the name of Allah under Hebrew terminology but has been lost in translation so it's just a word that could've been one of the forgotten names of Allah. Note how I stress could've been. Just because it's from the Bible and Torah doesn't mean His many names within His previous scriptures have to be rejected. Are you saying all 72 names of God have been rejected under Judeo-Christian? You do realize the etymology of one of His 72 names Elah in Aramaic is related to the Arabic equivalent Allah? So logically one of His names from the previous Abrahamic religions has been carried over under Islamic.

Anyway, PM me further to discuss this topic more since I don't want to stray off from the actual topic at hand.

On 9/23/2017 at 4:45 PM, SunniBrother said:

"Islamic sources" spent a lot of time discrediting everything that came before them and tainting it with disgust. I can fully respect those willing to see over the prejudice and study for the sake of knowledge.

Peace is the assurance of God's love, found through submission. In Christianity it is described as the peace that passes all understanding, and it really has nothing to do with Google's descriptions, nor their sources.

On September 23, 2017 at 6:45 PM, SunniBrother said:

Any the stereotypes continue, words from a Sunni...

On 9/27/2017 at 6:10 PM, SunniBrother said:

Imam Ali (a.s) was very cautious in isralliyats entering into Islam.

True. But the same argument could be made towards Imam Ali (AS) being cautious towards some of the Sahabas who were once polytheists e.g. Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman.

While on the other hand a counterargument could be made where Imam Ali (AS) showed respect towards some of the Jews who consider themselves Israelis during his time as a 4th Caliph according to a particular Waaqiah.

Not all Bani-Israelis disobeyed Allah. They  are our brother tribes decsending from the line of Prophet Isaac (AS) who went through horrific tribulations preserving the message of the previous apostles unlike the previous tribes such as Bani-Ad, Bani-Thamud, Bani-Sodom, and Bani-Gomorrah who all showed utter hatred and spite towards the apostles of the past e.g. Prophet Lut/Lot (AS), Prophet Salih (AS).

Chapter 17: The Children of Israel in the Quran. Read Ayat 16-17.

Has Bani-Israel been destroyed by Allah just like the previous tribes?

Can we get to the actual topic at hand?